Any plans to improve map generation?

"
Garr0t wrote:

The complexity of the map assets is amazing

Hate to say but GGG dont agree, they admitted the maps need work. They are currently functional and 'OK' but nothing more.
"
RodHull wrote:
"
Garr0t wrote:

The complexity of the map assets is amazing

Hate to say but GGG dont agree, they admitted the maps need work. They are currently functional and 'OK' but nothing more.

Yeah. My posts are kind of off-topic. I'm actually referring to the art/assets used in the maps/environment, as opposed to the map design/structure algorithm, which is actually the discussion in this thread.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
Last edited by Garr0t on May 11, 2012, 8:54:41 PM
"
Dimitrii_ss2 wrote:
i don't think the size of mob makes a game good, Torchlight looks cartoonish , totally not my style

It's not just the size of the mobs - it's the variety in size, shape, colour, AI, etc.

Also, I'm not wanting PoE to get a cartoony look - I was giving examples of variety in landscape / design / architectural interest / scale. Do something similar within PoE's art style - and it'd be pretty slick.

"

P.S. : if you like a game play but don't try and make other games look the same.

I never said I want PoE to become Torchlight, nore did I say I wanted them to adopt a similar visual art-style.

I was just pointing out aspects that in my opinion, the other game was doing well at - and would like to see some similar things in PoE.

- More random/dynamic events
- More depth in the terrain
- More variation within the terrain
- More points of interest/mini-areas to be found that have a more 'hand crafted' feel within the randomly generated stuff
- More variation in enemy size and behaviour (although this seems to have improved greatly in the 9.9.9 patch)
- More interactive elements in the environment

I don;t want to see PoE adapt a similar art style, I don't want to see them become as casual as TL Is, I don't want the game cartoony. If you think that's what I was asking for, then you greatly misunderstood.

Of the ARPG's I've played/beta lately (D3, T2, PoE) - PoE has some of the most solid feeling 'meaty' game mechanics of the bunch, I love the character customzation, the depth of the item system - so much of the 'core' is there, but the stuff around it needs some interest.

Many of the areas either feel like a big square flat field, or a dark mazey/cramped dungeon (which is fine - that type of level has it's place) - but some better layouts/generation would be nice.

Last edited by kaniz on May 12, 2012, 11:45:14 AM
Yes. Areas are constantly being improved with every patch. Theres certainly still alot more that can be done though.

PoE needs an epic dungeon layout with huge rooms like the Mines of Moria from lotr.
Forum Sheriff
"
tpapp157 wrote:
Yes. Areas are constantly being improved with every patch. Theres certainly still alot more that can be done though.

PoE needs an epic dungeon layout with huge rooms like the Mines of Moria from lotr.

Drumming... drumming in the deep...
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
It is good to know GGG is aware of this problematic situation. What is one of the more lacking issue is "randomization" GGG (not) having.

Boxed style generated maps with almosty non-varied terrain tilesets and with "everytime it-is-there exits", game becoming wasted away pretty fast.

GGG must firstly get rid of those dammit WPs which always but always spawn at the foot of bandit leaders' camps.

It not only kills immersion but it also kills exploration demand automatically.

And these kind of unwanted situations do not let us live "getting lost" feel which is very much needed, as being a prime repetition-killer if at all exist.

Edit: Diablo I had it nearly perfect how randomization should be handled imo.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
Last edited by BrecMadak on May 12, 2012, 3:16:11 PM
Well i think D3 made it nice in the randomn+exploration departament.
Not only maps are created randomly ,but there might appear by a % chance instances on the map every time you play it.
So each time you pass the game ,you got different combination.
Also side-quests are randomized like that too, you might get it or not on given map ,and if you explore maps rather than run thru ,you might find side-quests and they give nice exp rewards as minimum.

I also miss a bit the secrets ,thats also nice reward for having a keen eye and being explorer.

Other solution that comes to my mind is linked to how PoE generate maps.
As i remember i watched their presentation about it ,they draw a shortest/random path possible from entry to exit.
And then put additional rooms around the path.

It would be good if there more you are away from the drawn path from entrance/exist the higher drop rates/exp rates you got. So it would reward you for exploring ,rather than runing thru it.

Add some events outside the path aswell ,buildings ,locations with some fun interaction/reward system.
"
kaniz wrote:
I havn't spent that much time in T2 yet - but things were looking very random. However, I'd say even T1 has POE beat in terms of interest in levels it generates.

And while the dungeons are fairly random - I find the over-world isn't very random - I usually know exactly where to go to find the exit / entrance to the next area.

I just find that PoE feels very 'flat', and when running through outdoor araas most of them feel like a big open field with not much interest. The Terraces has some nice variation in terms of height - so it's not like their engine cant handle it.

It's just been very rare when running around in PoE that I've seen a bit of landscape that made me think 'ooh, I wonder what's over there' and detour off of my planned path to go check it out - where that's happened several times in T2 in only a few hours of playing.

A winding path up a snowy mountain to a temple with a chest to loot, hidden areas that don't show up on the mini map, dark hallways where I needed to light torches to see the way, an interesting statue out of the corner of my eye.

I think each level needs a few random "Set Pieces" that are a bit more hand-crafted that are then fit into the highly random parts around it.

I have been noticing a few nice tweaks here and there since the last patch. The core mechanics of the game are pretty solid and very satisfying to play, just a bit more interest in the world I'm running around in would be nice.

Also some mini/random events would be neat. An example that sort of made me smile

- Alter had a bunch of candles on it, none of them lit
- I kill the skeletons around it, one of the candle lights - then a new wave spawns
- I start thinking 'I wonder what happens once they all turn on....'

I continue clearing until the last wave, then a bigger spawn happens and a mini-boss and it was lots of fun. It wasn't even a quest of 'clear the enemies here' popping up - just a subtle visual clue in the change of environment that made me wonder 'whats next?'

Things like that help pull me into the game world and feel a little more immersed/involved in it than the nonstop barrage of enemies. Even simple things like a lever to drop a bridge, opening doors inside of dungeons, etc.

Didn't really realize how much these little things add to the feel of the game until I went from them being almost non existant, to them being there in abundance.

Sure T1 had some very nice background and foregrounds, but there was only at least an max of 4 sets of them...they're completely static and not random at all(because programming them to be random would be time consuming).

Large scale landscape stuff like in T1 is nice(I'll say once again), but it's stupid if you can't go there(Yes, I'm one of those types that sort of hate fake "open world" background).
Granted, there's already some sort of those stuff present in PoE and I'm sure they already are adding and improving some of it in the near future.

I for one, don't really care either way.

PS. I some how also feel like it's a bad idea to use T2 as an example, like the snow for example. It's no fair, cause it's not in PoE yet, so you should had picked something else.
Now I haven't played T2 beta my self yet or seen any videos, but from reading you using the word "set pieces", I can already tell T2's maps are smaller then PoE, and that's one thing you'll have to note that's different from other games. PoE's maps are huge(or in general at least).

"
RodHull wrote:
"
nzrock wrote:
"
kaniz wrote:
Just looking at the upcoming ARPGS - and seems like some of them are doing a better job at level generation than this game.

But they are less random then PoE and more static.
Lots of people like the randomness PoE gives.

Sorry thats wrong, POE Is not very random at all in terms of map generation. Really take a map like Old Fields or crossroads I can second guess precisely where the exit/s will be every time and every time its just a big'ol box rectangle shape surround by walls filled with monsters.

Theres no variation, no old buildings, no ruins to speak of, very little terrain variation (in elevation or type) basically everything Kaniz just touched on above...

I posted about this a while back and tbf GGG did say they are aware the maps are somewhat uninspired and plans are afoot to improve them, but that it wasn't a priority at this time, it was taking a back seat to OB basically. So dont expect any great changes anytime soon.

Yes, Old Fields and Crossroads have indeed been the unwanted child of the pack, but they have been improving it a lot since many patches ago. So use a better example next time.

I know a lot of people don't want PoE to fail, the game and dev team does show some very promising talents, so that you guys will be even willing to criticise to the point of making your self look like haters and trolls.
But it just seems you guys put too little faith into GGG(Granted I know those that donated or am going to donate, can complain all they want :P)...

tl;dr
I have seen too many of these post and threads, and it's annoying now...
Sweeping Maid

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info