League or Standard?

league is fun to hit the ground running, make a modest profit off some niche product like jun crafts or lab carries, try to get to 100.

As soon as you're bored or burnt out, go to standard and pick one of your old characters and either push them or take them apart and start new with 95 or so free levels and GG gear to dink around with.

While most things in Standard are more expensive because of inflation, you probably have years of unused currency buried with your former heroes. This is where you find out if you really can stick power siphon on a mine ;)
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Hi David, there is no reason to play out a league in PoE.

A league is a self contained experience, you do better and better each one. However feel free to stop when bored. The game is constantly changing, with the last update it is likely that the best pieces of gear are actually in Ritual softcore.

If you are playing as 2 maybe try to push delirium 100% together. If one of you plays support it is doable and you'll get what you want pretty quickly.

The balance of the game is generally factoring the league mechanic, it is imho way harder to sustain yourself without quantity gear in std. Atm even the best legacy items do not really cut it :). I'd rather have a no life 3-4 augmented influenced affixes torso than 1K life.
Last edited by galuf on Mar 1, 2021, 3:04:43 PM
PoE is designed to be played in leagues, not in standard.
PoE is designed to use trade very often if you want full power character.
Trading in league is like 20x better.

If you have 20-40+ tabs and play more then 2 years standard stash management is pure, insane horror. So GGG want you NOT play standard because they do NOT make it any easier EVER.
"
superbomb1967 wrote:
"
Icholas wrote:
"
Elua wrote:
Standard is junk, avoid it at all cost. Playing it will hinder your progress and make things much harder.

I mean starting again from zero every three months really puts a stop to progress.

Most characters start to plateau long before the season end.

True but it's not just characters that are being reset every league is it. I'm thinking things like delve depth, all your bossing frags and splinters, Jun crafts etc etc - progress.

We tested it extensively
"
lolozori wrote:
Hard to get rich in std

???

I think I just read a thread where someone showed how there's 10 top-tier ways to make currency outside of Harvest crafting. Are any of those 10 methods so severely less viable in Standard that you stand to make no currency? Like does deep-delving for fractured fossils make you 1 transmute on trade? Or maybe the fact that Maven Orbs are 30+ exalted right now in Standard, tripling your income compared to doing it in league?

Maven Orbs in League
Maven Orbs in Standard

Maybe I'm too stupid to understand.
"
jack_aubrey wrote:
"
lolozori wrote:
Hard to get rich in std

???

I think I just read a thread where someone showed how there's 10 top-tier ways to make currency outside of Harvest crafting. Are any of those 10 methods so severely less viable in Standard that you stand to make no currency? Like does deep-delving for fractured fossils make you 1 transmute on trade? Or maybe the fact that Maven Orbs are 30+ exalted right now in Standard, tripling your income compared to doing it in league?

Maven Orbs in League
Maven Orbs in Standard

Maybe I'm too stupid to understand.

The simplest thing is much much much more expensive in standard. Unless you manage to live in a sellers vacuum, this is awful. What's hard to understand?
Long time STANDARD ONLY player - by the way, I started this game on the CORE LEAGUE AKA STANDARD, AND I STILL ENJOY IT.

If you are hard pressed regarding time spent playing PoE, resets every damn 3 months are bothersome, not to mention the horror of having to redo from the start all the cumbersome unveiling, delving, trials for the "Uber Labyrinth" and so on, your best bet is Standard.

If you want to actually progress a character past the 3 months limit, your answer is STANDARD.

If you enjoy your loot, that might get more/less value over time, TencentGGG manages to keep "legacy" versions of various unique items that can jump in price enough for you to even afford most things you need, Standard is the mandatory option again.

Due to the fact that last league contents tend to be added to Standard, and major expansions ARE ALWAYS RELEASED FOR THE CORE LEAGUE TOO, don't listen to the nay-sayers and give Standard a chance.

I recently finished leveling my main character to 100, the same one that I started in 1.3.0, and it was a great journey (even if you can level to 100 a character by going "meta" and spend like less than 100-200 hours for that, it gives an entirely different feeling of satisfaction to do it in your own way, with your build, during even YEARS of slow paced progress), more akin to what TencentGGG originally envisioned instead of the current "1-2 day zoom to 100"...

Beside Standard simply requires you to be a hoarder to enjoy yourself, and compared to current league, heck, even HH is CHEAPER on Standard these days, not to mention pure currency tends to trade for different values too (and you still tend to benefit most times on Standard).

STANDARD IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST OPTION TO PLAY IF YOU:

1) WANT TO PROGRESS A CHARACTER PAST 3 MONTHS

2) DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH ALL THE BORING GRINDS

3) WANT TO DISREGARD THE "MEH" LEAGUE MECHANIC - MOST LEAGUES ARE THIS WAY SADLY

4) WANT TO ENJOY POE AT YOUR OWN PACE

Thankfully, Standard has enough permanence, that even with the mandatory 3 month reset to the Atlas (every time a league finishes, the Atlas gets reset on Standard), you can get it "up and running" in a "timely" manner - run any legacy rare corrupted T16 and then complete the few missing ones, by having a legacy T16 Vaal Temple map to vendor for a current version and by vendoring other T16 for the missing ones - the progress for the UNIQUE MAPS IS FINALLY PRESERVED AT THEIR HIGHEST TIER...

STANDARD IS THE POE "CORE" EXPERIENCE, and will remain so for the foreseeable future...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Mar 6, 2021, 12:39:02 AM
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

STANDARD IS THE POE "CORE" EXPERIENCE, and will remain so for the foreseeable future...

lol, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, no.
"
Spoiler
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

LOL, of course a league player with horse blinders can't even comprehend the TencentGGG view on the sanctioned "core" experience aka Standard, but you're welcomed to try to properly counter-argue.

Until then, it's actually the "de facto" state of the affairs I'm afraid...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
"
Spoiler
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

LOL, of course a league player with horse blinders can't even comprehend the TencentGGG view on the sanctioned "core" experience aka Standard, but you're welcomed to try to properly counter-argue.

Until then, it's actually the "de facto" state of the affairs I'm afraid...

You can stop stating your opinion like it's a objective fact. It's really amusing, but very strange.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info