Level 68 Ranger Deadeye dying all the time in Act 8 - Please help!

Any kind experienced Rangers out there who can help a n00b out?

I picked up the game this week after 2 years off, and started following a tornado build but using RoA for levelling. Problem is I cant level. Im dying on 59 mobs - its so frustrating,

Im assuming its associated to the gems/gear Ive chosen as Im hoping skill tree isnt a game breaker if the build slightly differs (but it was a recommended Furty build).

Anyone out there who is kind enough to help?

Thanks
Last bumped on Feb 26, 2021, 9:27:12 AM
Tree looks decent but you have absolutely no life on gear. Also tornado shot sucks in current year and it wont ever feel good unless you dump billions into the build
Thanks for the reply... yeah was thinking life was an issue but what should I be dropping? Resistances, crit, damage? It makes no sense currently. Either I should be out DPS'ing the mob if I have too much damage, or I should have enough HP to survive... it looks as though I have neither.

I wont be using Tornado shot until Im higher geared, but RoA should be strong enough for levelling so I have read.

Thanks again
You need both life and resists. You're going to lose another 30% ele resist after act 10, and you should have another 1000 life at your level, even with a glass cannon build. So you need some amount of both on a lot of your gear. Trade is the way to do that, which is a bit harder in standard.

Deadeye is one of the highest skill cap ascendancies in the game. I'd suggest you find an active guide and follow it closely.

Your gems need a lot of work. You mention RoA, but it's a 2L right now. Barrage is your 4L. A 2L won't cut it at 68, and Barrage is more of a single target skill. (At least historically.)

You have support gems in the bow that aren't supporting anything, and a lot of empty sockets. I'm not seeing a movement skill, defensive set-ups, curses, all of which are necessary by your current level.

So the good news is that there are a lot of things you can do. The bad news is that Deadeye is probably not the best ascendancy to get back into the game on.

You might want to do some digging into Deadeye guides to see if there is a transition you can make that will feel half decent on a budget. They did a major overhaul of the ascendancy this league, so it would be best to get advice from someone playing it currently. That's not me.

Good luck!

Last edited by GreyLensman on Feb 26, 2021, 7:33:54 AM
GreyLensman, thanks for your help.. what I didnt realise was I changed bow after the boss battle and didnt realise that it wasnt a 6L... I thought it was so will set up RoA correctly.

I will invest in some HP, but I reckon what went wrong was I just lost half my DPS as RoA was setup in a 2l like you said.

Im currently following Furtys Tornado build.. but it says RoA for levelling so thats why I am doing.

Thanks for pointing out a major mistake in my bow!

Fixing the bow will definitely help!

But even with a 6L, you are going to hit another wall when you start maps, so keep working on the life, resists, and other gems. You should also be able to get down to one life flask, which will give you two more slots there.

I have mixed feelings about the Vault guides. They often get very little attention after initial release. They make it look like they are updating them by posting a random comment every league, and maybe they tweak something here or there, but I don't think they get optimized for current content. Two years is eight leagues, which is an eternity in this game. :D

My suggestion next time you roll a toon would be to pick a solid build with an active guide in the forums here. It doesn't have to be a meta build; there are plenty of builds that are very solid, and can do a lot with moderate investment. Active guides will not only be overhauled for the latest gem and passive changes, etc, they will be supported by several experienced players answering questions in addition to the guide author.

Also, next time you roll, you might consider the challenge league over standard. You can ignore the new content if you want, but it will often be easier to find the items you need in trade.

Anyway, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't keep going with your current build and have as much fun as you can. Welcome back to Wraeclast!

Last edited by GreyLensman on Feb 26, 2021, 9:28:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info