Rockpapershotgun.com announces the Shadow, our sixth character class

2 thumbs way up on the new class name and design - looks really bad ass. Can't wait to try him this weekend!
Brixtan [Default League]
-------------
Arda_EAC: LV 67 Summoner
Brixtan: LV 27 Templar
HOLY CRAP THAT IS AWESOME
It seems I am the only one here who is disappointed by this class.

First of all, why is Shadow a male? I was pretty sure (and I wasn't the only one) that the 6th class will be female, so that we can have perfect symmetry (6 classes - 3 males and 3 females).

Second, what's with the name? All other characters (except the Witch I guess) show their profession, their job, so to speak. I could see our heroes sitting in a tavern and introducing each other:
- I'm a duelist.
- I'm a ranger.
- I'm a shadow.
What?!
It just feels weird and... random.
From the article:

"This isn’t the hood-wearing assassin of somewhat noble intent, this is a butcher and purveyor of pain who, in his most naked state, could be mistaken for a sadistic surgeon, bristling with cutting and sawing implements, or a butcher, a torturer. He kills more for the pride of a perfect execution and the thrill of bringing about elaborate endings than for money.

That pride has become a sort of arrogance, leading a client to suspect the Shadow may brag about his latest arterial assaulting accomplishments. That’s how he finds himself bundled on a ship and destined for the horrorshow that is Path of Exile’s grim, undeadly setting of Wraeclast."

Who wrote that? The article dude or GGG? Because it's. fucking. incredible. It's borderline poetry.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
It would rather be:
- I'm a duelist.
- I'm a ranger.
- *stares at you without a word*

I pretty like it :)
So big question, skill reset this weekend, or a legacy move? Kind of determines what I play during the week.

Also when will the passive skill tree be updated here on the site? would be nice if it was in advance and we could plan out our builds if we intend to build a shadow this weekend.

"
Who wrote that? The article dude or GGG?

It's typical in any industry for companies to supply journalists with press packets. These documents are full of information that make referencing material and writing an article a snap for journalists. Since journalists are so reliant on that press packet it gives the company significant sway over the tone and content of the article as a result. (If you're interested in the topic and how it's used to influence public opinion on world affairs, the book Manufacturing Consent deals with it at length)

Assuming GGG provided RPS a press packet (and I would need to have a talk with Chris if they didn't) then it's tough to say how much of that article is "written" by GGG and how much by the author. Judging by the content of the article (no actual gameplay impressions, etc) I would guess that most of the article in some way came from GGG.

I look forward to the author's promised followup to actually see his impressions of the game.
Forum Sheriff
Last edited by tpapp157 on May 7, 2012, 9:04:54 AM
And GGG delivers, i am not disappointed at all :) Look forwards to making a new 'Shadow'-class character for myself :)

Edit: fixing pesky spelling and grammar mistakes.
Shoep - Default league Ranger
Peohs - Any other class or character i play.
Jhuvik - My Marauder
Merialeth - My witch
Last edited by Shoep on May 7, 2012, 8:58:11 AM
Looks totally Awesome :o Nice job with him GGG.
"
tpapp157 wrote:
"
Who wrote that? The article dude or GGG?

It's typical in any industry for companies to supply journalists with press packets. These documents are full of information that make referencing material and writing an article a snap for journalists. Since journalists are so reliant on that press packet it gives the company significant sway over the tone and content of the article as a result.

Assuming GGG provided RPS a press packet (and I would need to have a talk with Chris if they didn't) then it's tough to say how much of that article is "written" by GGG and how much by the author. Judging by the content of the article (no actual gameplay impressions, etc) I would guess that most of the article in some way came from GGG.

I look forward to the author's promised followup to actually see his impressions of the game.

Normally I wouldn't assume either way, but since the author indented the 'official word' (what I figured to be part of the press packet), I...assumed that the non-indented stuff was the work of the author.

...Either way, it's brilliant. I'm not sure if the Shadow lives up to it, actually. But I'm a writerreader, so I have to speak up when something like that tickles my fancy.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info