How are people and minions surviving?

Every now and then I reach parts of the game where something off screen and around corners deletes the entire screen. I cannot get close enough to even read the monster description, there is just a wall of missiles, explosions, etc.

I'm playing a minion build, and I can try to cast skeletons with 5K HP and they die as soon as they are summoned. I can send in SRS with 8K Hp and they also die before reaching whatever it is. So I can send golems with 40K HP in and they get wiped. Then my toon with capped resists, running 65% increased curse effect enfeeble and temporal chains and punishment with screenwide curse aura AOE. I can flame dash 3 times in to try to get the thing on screen and curse everything but to no avail.

So yes, defensive curses are close to useless, so I'd be better off getting my 4K life/ES to 5K - 8K instead of buffing curse effectiveness.
However, I've experienced the same with full life regen Juggernauts, maxing ele resists, full spell dodge, dodge, evade and max block, and just pure stacking life. There appears to be no defensive system that can compete with this games overtuned sections.

So how are other people doing it? How are melee characters, even really tanky ones, even getting close if whatever it is are blanketing the screen with death from 3 screens away?

I should note that prior to these encounters, everything seems to be fine and I am not dying to any other thing.
Last edited by grimlock9999 on Feb 25, 2021, 9:54:27 AM
Last bumped on Feb 27, 2021, 8:47:21 PM
You have defences of someone who just killed A10 Kitava.. 3k hp, lightning res seems to be at 70. No overcap for when you get cursed with ele weakness, no curse removal flask. No utility flasks at all actually, besides a white quicksilver. No life on gear, half as much life % as you should have on the tree. No defensive mechanic like block or dodge, no good life recovery. Your have poison srs, but srs convert 50% phys damage to fire and can't even poison with fire. Minions need maxed res too to survive. And you are making it all harder for yourself by playing occultist
Pretty much what Nubatack said. Your Flasks and gear arent great.
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
The answer is that really good gear is also really super expensive. Everyone is rich at this point in time, and if you're not, you're left in the dust. End-game-viable gear is worth about 40 Ex per slot. If you can't afford that, be ready to die a lot and be told "your defenses are too low lol".

You'll find people ridiculing my statement, but you'll also find my statement to be true.

Good luck out there.
"
End-game-viable gear is worth about 40 Ex per slot. If you can't afford that, be ready to die a lot and be told "your defenses are too low lol".

Umm - no.

Sure, it's possible to spend mirrors min-maxing a build, but don't confuse min-max with end-game viable. Or just be clear that you don't consider a build to be end-game viable unless it's min-maxed. (Which many people would not say...)

There are builds that can do a good chunk of end content on 10-15ex. (That's for the whole build, not per slot.) There are builds that can do a lot more on 40ex (again, for the whole build, not per slot.) And, sure, those builds could still be "improved" if you wanted to spend 40ex per slot, but that's not remotely necessary to have a fun build where you hardly ever die.

@OP, starting from where you are, you really won't need to spend much for a much better experience. Although trying to do minions as an Occultist is really not a great choice, as Nubatack already mentioned.
Last edited by GreyLensman on Feb 25, 2021, 1:47:12 PM
"
ShadyC wrote:
The answer is that really good gear is also really super expensive. Everyone is rich at this point in time, and if you're not, you're left in the dust. End-game-viable gear is worth about 40 Ex per slot. If you can't afford that, be ready to die a lot and be told "your defenses are too low lol".

You'll find people ridiculing my statement, but you'll also find my statement to be true.

Good luck out there.

He has an empty prefixes on his rings to craft life - that costs whooping 2 alchs, his flasks are low lvl and not rolled - free to find, couple dozen alts and some yellow beasts to roll. His whole setup could be at least twice as good for maybe 1ex. Really good very expensive gear is irrelevant here. His car can't even start and you are talking about getting a turbo v12 for some reason
ShadyC still venting from his previous thread.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3060242
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-

You seem to like minions, yes? Maybe follow a build guide for a minion setup you like and make it good. Understand how it works, what kind of stats are good to get on your gear. Learn what kind of things every build should have, like utility flasks, elemental ailment avoidance/removal, how much life/es is a good amount, how to setup your defense in a meaningful way. Once you do that you could start experimenting with your own builds and adjusting things to your liking
the gear was never more cheaper then it is in this league. you dont need top gear with minions to do all the content, not even good gear. I was doing t16 maps with white gloves and few magic items with minions build. You just need to either study your build more or you check others people build for hints what is good and what is not good.
"
xPiranha wrote:
ShadyC still venting from his previous thread.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3060242

Shady also lives in STD as well.
Still play SSF on my main account :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info