Will there be any gap between CB OB and release?

From what I've read it sounds as if it will simply be a progression with no time when the game is down.

Other than a reset of characters to level 1 in CB --> OB.

In OB --> live, it seems it will simply be as if content has been added? I.e. chars will stay with al their level and gear, servers will stay up (apart from maybe the usual downtime you'd get with a patch).

And OB is expected next month (June)? Around the 19th?

Is the above right or am I missing something?
Yes. Usually there is a characterwipe between CB and OB which going to happen here as well. I've heard the OB's gonna be live in June. Not sure about the exact date.

If it's necessary due a critical bug there may be a wipe on the end of Open Beta as well but this is pretty rare and in most cases your Open Beta characters going safely into release with all their items and levels obtained so don't expect a wipe before release.
Actually, it is (or atleast, should be) the other way round.

Usually there is a character wipe at the end of OB, and there may not be a wipe in the transition from CB to OB.

Not having a wipe vom OB to release would be a huge advantage for beta players, which, although being nice for them, should not happen.

Wiping between OB and release is the usual approach. Compare D3, WoW, Aion, and so on.
Last edited by Angrenost on May 7, 2012, 5:05:28 AM
Yes that's what I would call the "normal approach" Angrenost.

My concern in asking about this was really to see if it's worth paying to get a beta key or waiting for OB (if closed beta is coming to an end soon anyway then it wouldn't be worth buying into it).

It would be useful to hear something official from GGG on this.

But - what they seem to be doing is effectively a gradual transition, once the CB-->OB wipe is done, from then on it's almost as if the game is live, if there's simply going to be a patch one day that adds (a lot of) content and then someone says "Ok, boys, we're live".

It's not much different to treating OB as "limited live".

I think that process works really well for a ftp game - they don't need to make a big distinction between these phases since they don't need to kick people out, as you do in a p2p game, since all the accounts in OB are entitled to play in live.

I just wanted to check what the process was before deciding - I'd be annoyed if I bought a beta key and then find that the servers close down for a month before OB starts, so I may only get a few days of playing by paying for a CB key.
Last edited by Incense on May 7, 2012, 10:05:40 AM
"
Incense wrote:
Yes that's what I would call the "normal approach" Angrenost.

My concern in asking about this was really to see if it's worth paying to get a beta key or waiting for OB (if closed beta is coming to an end soon anyway then it wouldn't be worth buying into it).

It would be useful to hear something official from GGG on this.

But - what they seem to be doing is effectively a gradual transition, once the CB-->OB wipe is done, from then on it's almost as if the game is live, if there's simply going to be a patch one day that adds (a lot of) content and then someone says "Ok, boys, we're live".

It's not much different to treating OB as "limited live".

I think that process works really well for a ftp game - they don't need to make a big distinction between these phases since they don't need to kick people out, as you do in a p2p game, since all the accounts in OB are entitled to play in live.

I just wanted to check what the process was before deciding - I'd be annoyed if I bought a beta key and then find that the servers close down for a month before OB starts, so I may only get a few days of playing by paying for a CB key.

Well actually what you are paying for is for coins to be used in the in game cash shop. You are getting a beta key as a thank you for your early support. Depending on what support package you buy you may also be eligible for extra items along with a beta key.

Also there will be a free open stress test this weekend so try the game out then decide based on your experience how well you wish to support GGG. Even if you were to only get 1 month out of a beta key for the $10 supporter package I believe you will find that it will be well worth it.
Luke: Sorry we have to leave you here, but it just ain't right to eat your wife's and daughter's brains. Plus you're really disgusting and I don't want to spend anymore time with you.
"
velrac wrote:

Well actually what you are paying for is for coins to be used in the in game cash shop. You are getting a beta key as a thank you for your early support. Depending on what support package you buy you may also be eligible for extra items along with a beta key.

I'd be happy with getting a month, but what I was worried about was buying a key and then they take the servers down in a couple of days, maybe, and they're offline until OB starts in June. So maybe I only get a couple of days.

Mind you, it would be ok if the money was used for bag space and it carries over to the OB/live. I imagine dyes etc will be gone after CB though, certainly if you've used them, since the items they dye will be gone.

"
velrac wrote:

Also there will be a free open stress test this weekend so try the game out then decide based on your experience how well you wish to support GGG. Even if you were to only get 1 month out of a beta key for the $10 supporter package I believe you will find that it will be well worth it.

Aha. Thanks, I didn't know about the open test. That's really good news, I'll try it then. Is there somewhere we can download the beta client ready for the weekend?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info