Texture Streaming in Echoes of the Atlas

dont play if u dont wanna LOSE YOUR graphic card bois
this league killing PC
@GGG & Chris,

Please explain how loading twice the amount of textures is better than loading it once at resolution a player can choose in his graphic's options?

Now when we open a zone (maps, town, heist,...) your "low" res textures load during the loading screen, which is faster true; BUT THEN after loading is done ALL those HIGH res textures start loading while we are already in the zone which means my FPS drops to 0 and spikes to 60 again with each texture that gets loaded. -> Makes the first 2 minutes unplayable, and each texture that isn't loaden after walking 5 meters is loaded after walking those 5 meters -> really fun to play right?

It's even when there are certain texture heavy things going on, like delirium, harbinger (reinforcements) A juiced-up map...

To me, it doesn't make sense why loading in twice the amount is better than once, and the correct ones at that.
Just tell your engine to show the loading screen until EVERYTHING is loaded that needs to be loaded. I don't care if takes 5 or 10 seconds longer.

I would understand, in a 3D game where you can zoom and change your camera angle and look far into the distance that you would use low LOD textures for things further away, but that isn't the case for Path of Exile.
Barely anyone would use the zoom function, our camera angle is fixed, so I don't understand how it's so CPU and GPU heavy to load in those textures efficiently, on what I read, quite high-end computers.

I can play games like Cyberpunk 2077, Destiny 2 even Red Dead Redemption at the highest settings and get more FPS than playing Path of Exile...?

Please explain?

I personally HATE this low resolution preloaded textures. It makes me not want to play anymore, the game performed just fine for me before all this and not its just broken without a way of switching back or turning it off. The game loads the textures every single time I re enter a map (my H/O for instance) and on top of that i find myself having to guess where are the mobs at because all i see in the screen are the healthbars. This kind of approach to securing some frames is horrible and should at least have a way to turn it OFF for the ones who find it useless.
"
MateoAce wrote:
Well I don't know if you like this answer, but an answer is to reduce the problem you are trying to solve. Instead of pre-staging full res textures, use fast-loading smaller mipmaps initially, and then you will have more drive bandwidth available to load the shaders. Also, compress the shaders and use hand-optimized assembly language decompressors to make them loadable. That will be shit-hot fast.

They're using Oodle for all resources in the bundles, which is pretty much the state-of-the-art in this part of the field and I definitely trust ryg and cbloom's competence there.

As for initially loading smaller mipmaps, this is exactly what they're doing. There's proxy textures of all non-cube/LUT textures sized like the smallest mip, to be used until the actual texture is loaded. Those are of small enough size to always be kept resident.
"
FutureFear wrote:
@GGG & Chris,
Now when we open a zone (maps, town, heist,...) your "low" res textures load during the loading screen, which is faster true; BUT THEN after loading is done ALL those HIGH res textures start loading while we are already in the zone which means my FPS drops to 0 and spikes to 60 again with each texture that gets loaded. -> Makes the first 2 minutes unplayable, and each texture that isn't loaden after walking 5 meters is loaded after walking those 5 meters -> really fun to play right?

Please explain?

I'm not Chris, but you can read in their original post that the low-res textures are pre-loaded on client startup. They are tiny in size, right now a total of like 113 megabytes.

They are always there and don't unload or reload for area transitions.

As I understand it, the dynamic that has kind of changed here is that the load screens cover less time and only load essentials - the rest is possible to stream in while the player regain control.

There's obviously a bit of tuning that needs to be done on how things are evicted and streamed in, as well as what might be considered important enough for actual load screens, but this is a great first step in getting information on how actual computers out with the players behave, and improve from that.

I strongly believe that they didn't intentionally ship something they knew would behave oddly on so many people's computers - there's just so much strangeness out in the world that you just can't find in-house like driver revisions, OS versions, antivirus, malware, hardware combinations.

It's no hit-and-run drop of functionality that's considered perfect. It'll improve and evolve but at some point in time it has to actually be deployed to players, and that point has apparently come.

While it is of little comfort to you, not all players experience the kind of framerate hitching that you do, and I'm sure that there will be effort spent in making it run good for your type of setup as well.
thank god some one said something thats all i wanted to hear but i still dont understand why my game litterally shuts my pc down at the log in screen
Hard to find positive words when you have taken a working game and turned it into a broken game for many people. What is stopping you for doing a roll back to a more stable engine?? I do not care about the minecraft blocks I can watch tv as things load in.... but I am lagging and getting mini freezes in maps, deli mirrors, heists, blights or just every content. This is quite damaging to the league's shelf life.
Doesn't matter what is said here for most people. Before this league, the game was pretty stable and loaded in fine. Now the game crashes all the time, and loading looks awful and is slower. Simple as that. Wished you would be up front and tell everyone the real reason why for the downgrade.
I know the intent is that 'first time things load slowly, it looks better after that' but I'm finding a lot of things like abrupt explosion graphics, monsters jumping in from off screen, etc cause noticeable 'square' textures where I guess transparency for the effect hasn't loaded properly or something, every time they happen.
Since this patch, I freeze when I zone into anywhere including HO. It's great when you can hear things trying to kill you, but you still have a black screen.
Also am getting bad stutters after about 5-10 minutes in any area, including just loitering in HO.

Before this most recent patch (3.13.1) I was playing smoothly for hours, bit slow loading into places since 3.13 but otherwise no issues. Now it is pretty tedious to play.

My system is pretty mid-range.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info