[3.14] Odif's Old Obsolete Skel Mage Guide, New one is in a new thread

"
Kloroad wrote:
I just came here to say that this was actually the 1st build i had that reached end game, and by end game, i mean killing sirius . First time in 3 years since i started that i actually killed the last guy from atlas. I hate spectres and zombies, always looking for a prue skellies build or at least something that looked like that, not too many minions. This build was what i searched all the time and i cant wait for the update to 3.14 because im definetely doing again, thank you for this excelent guide author!

Thanks for the feedback.
Just wanted to add a new build option I realized:

Summon Phantasm Support + Triad Grip

Phantasms, minion limit 11, use a Piercing Projectile Spell that deals Physical damage. With Triad Grip, it's all converted to Elemental and they now scale EXACTLY like Skele Mages, benefiting from all the same support gems you link AND Sniper's Mark. They deal almost half as much as Skeles, making them equivalent to another dps gem, but with the following advantages:

1. VAAL Skeles summons Warriors, Archers, and a General that will now deal pure Elemental damage, loldeleting bosses even harder.

2. Phantasms pierce by default, boosting clear speed without having to socket Pierce/LMP

Phantasms also benefit from the "+ Minion Gems" from a Helmet or Femurs of the Saints.

I won't call it a straight upgrade but if you've always wanted to use Phantasms then they fit right in here :)
Last edited by therealtoothman on Apr 10, 2021, 9:54:17 PM
to get your hard to aquire spectres use global chat 6666
"
Just wanted to add a new build option I realized:

Summon Phantasm Support + Triad Grip

Phantasms, minion limit 11, use a Piercing Projectile Spell that deals Physical damage. With Triad Grip, it's all converted to Elemental and they now scale EXACTLY like Skele Mages, benefiting from all the same support gems you link AND Sniper's Mark. They deal almost half as much as Skeles, making them equivalent to another dps gem, but with the following advantages:

1. VAAL Skeles summons Warriors, Archers, and a General that will now deal pure Elemental damage, loldeleting bosses even harder.

2. Phantasms pierce by default, boosting clear speed without having to socket Pierce/LMP

Phantasms also benefit from the "+ Minion Gems" from a Helmet or Femurs of the Saints.

I won't call it a straight upgrade but if you've always wanted to use Phantasms then they fit right in here :)

This is a interesting idea.
Replacing pierce with phantasm as a support gem.
Using Triad grip gloves.

I am not sure how well it would work with the mages not piercing, depending on the phantasms for pierce, but its worth experimenting with.

If one encountered a "allies cannot die" pack at a time of no phantasms, that could be annoying.

It's worth trying, if you want to.

I will stick with the guide as is, mostly because I think Breathstealer gloves will be really really good in the Ultimatum league mechanics, lots of rares so lots of buffs.
Plus it gives an extra annoint.
Last edited by Odif on Apr 11, 2021, 1:10:42 AM
"
Odif wrote:
This is a interesting idea.
Replacing pierce with phantasm as a support gem.
Using Triad grip gloves.

I am not sure how well it would work with the mages not piercing, depending on the phantasms for pierce, but its worth experimenting with.

If one encountered a "allies cannot die" pack at a time of no phantasms, that could be annoying.

It's worth trying, if you want to.

I will stick with the guide as is, mostly because I think Breathstealer gloves will be really really good in the Ultimatum league mechanics, lots of rares so lots of buffs.
Plus it gives an extra annoint.
Really I think I've just always wanted to use Summon Phantasm lol

Edit: Testing Phantasms out running Invitations, Uber Elder, and Maven, basically just running out my Guardian maps. Not noticeably worse or better lol Maven was deathless, though that's more about not failing the Memory Game than anything.
Last edited by therealtoothman on Apr 11, 2021, 10:17:31 PM
"

Really I think I've just always wanted to use Summon Phantasm lol

Edit: Testing Phantasms out running Invitations, Uber Elder, and Maven, basically just running out my Guardian maps. Not noticeably worse or better lol Maven was deathless, though that's more about not failing the Memory Game than anything.

Just an educated guess, but I would imagine that with phantasms, the boss dps is significantly better, clear speed might be a bit worse.

The lack of Breathstealer gloves, will likely be the tie breaker, as I suspect they will be very good on Ultimatums.

But it sounds like a VERY viable variant.

Good luck.
Always wanted to play something else than those meta-builds. Even though it´s summoner, this looks intriguing. Do you have a high-money PoB or some upgrade tips for someone who usually makes 500ex+ but has literally no idea how to play minion?

I would start with the outlined guide but I could use some pointers for possible upgrades after. Thanks in advance, and nice guide!
I just tested Promaore version of tree (well, just the mana related things from it because i have different approeach to cluster jewels) with my version of equip/build, and Agnostic really is a great node. I only swaped 2nd wand for some random shield i was selling and one random ring to cap resists, i even let Skitterbots reserved in mana, and tested it on 100% delirium beyond juiced map. It was literally impossible to die, even with low mana and reckless gameplay.

I could do it with glorious vanity version too, but i'd die even on 80% delirium T19 from time to time, needed very carefull play.

I guess i'll try to build it properly next league! :-)
Coming back to this again now as it's been my favourite PoE build to date and pretty excited for 9.14 as it looks like we might be in for some pretty beefy buffs to what was an already surprisingly good build.

Hats off to Odif for this, look forward to seeing how we adapt the build this league, hopefully beefing out the end game build path and DPS optimisations a little more!
Manifesto mentioned changes of Vaal skills look stronk for this build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info