[3.14] Odif's Old Obsolete Skel Mage Guide, New one is in a new thread

"
"
Shadowslayer187 wrote:
so i was looking at our skills and since bone armour and immortal call are both guard skills shouldnt we drop one since they share a cooldown and if so what should we swap in?

"

I like automated guard skills.
Bone Armor cannot be automated, so I use Immortal Call.

If you prefer to self cast your guard skills, use Bone Armor, and drop IC.

well I just put bone armor on left click and unless there is a change you had us grabbing bone armor in the ascendency tree so may want to drop that and grab CoD since its a wasted point in the tree
Last edited by Shadowslayer187 on Jan 31, 2021, 2:46:58 AM
Hey,

So I started out with this build and just came across these posts to find out ways to improve, but I have been having a blast with it so far. To get further into content it is shaping up to be a little more expensive, but even with semi decent invenstment (about 20 exalts and some self crafting) the build really takes off.

The above gear is what I have so far and by checking the differences on our tree I mostly see one cluster jewel change and the avatar of fire notable. I assume this is to ensure you only deal fire damage with hydrosphere for EE? So far I am not seeing much of a damage increase by putting in the point, so I took it out again. If there's some other reason, I'd love to know.

Great work on this guide as well by the way, easy to read even for new people :).

~Nixxar
Last edited by Nixxar on Jan 31, 2021, 4:04:19 AM
"
Nixxar wrote:

The above gear is what I have so far and by checking the differences on our tree I mostly see one cluster jewel change and the avatar of fire notable. I assume this is to ensure you only deal fire damage with hydrosphere for EE? So far I am not seeing much of a damage increase by putting in the point, so I took it out again. If there's some other reason, I'd love to know.
~Nixxar

That was probably me, and i was using it for a while because i had some dmg to spells on equip somewhere, that would otherwise screw my EE, this was temporaly fix to that. I already unlearned it.

anyone have a video showing the build in various stages of gearing process?
First of all, huge thanks to Odif. I've been using this build since league start and I'm having the best time in a long time in poe.

Also huge thanks to everyone who's been giving ideas, and pushing the build further and further. People like evilmindcz.

"
Nixxar wrote:
Hey,

So I started out with this build and just came across these posts to find out ways to improve, but I have been having a blast with it so far. To get further into content it is shaping up to be a little more expensive, but even with semi decent invenstment (about 20 exalts and some self crafting) the build really takes off.

Great work on this guide as well by the way, easy to read even for new people :).

~Nixxar

Was looking at your build as well as evilmindcz for ideas. Taken those are too expensive for my pockets, but the ones I could afford and the changes to the passive tree do make a big difference.

I have a question for both of you though.
Both you and evilmindcz have higher level gems linked to cast when damage taken (increased duration and molten shell in evilmindcz's case). is CWDT getting the bennefits of those higher level gems?

Also Nixxar, since you're using molten shell, shouldn't that replace Bone Barrier from the ascendancy?

Thanks again everyone
"
"
"
Shadowslayer187 wrote:
so i was looking at our skills and since bone armour and immortal call are both guard skills shouldnt we drop one since they share a cooldown and if so what should we swap in?

well I just put bone armor on left click and unless there is a change you had us grabbing bone armor in the ascendency tree so may want to drop that and grab CoD since its a wasted point in the tree

We take Bone Barrier for the bonus to life gain and the phys damage reduction.

If you use bone armor, its a bonus.
"
Madplan wrote:

Both you and evilmindcz have higher level gems linked to cast when damage taken (increased duration and molten shell in evilmindcz's case). is CWDT getting the bennefits of those higher level gems?

Also Nixxar, since you're using molten shell, shouldn't that replace Bone Barrier from the ascendancy?

Thanks again everyone

Support gems are not limited by CWDT level limit, thats why i can link Increase Duration there. Vaal Molten Shell is overleveled by purpose, because i want regular one selfcast on left click, and most importantly (and thats why i dont have Bone Barrier) i use Vaal MS whenever i can. With my armor and duration gem it gives over 4200 shield for 20 seconds, it is just another layer of defence.

In a perfect world i'd be probably using Bone Barrier on leftclick and only Vaal MS, but i cant afford to lose resists from Commander of Darkness, for now.
oh didnt think of that part that makes more more sense with taking the node
"
Madplan wrote:
First of all, huge thanks to Odif. I've been using this build since league start and I'm having the best time in a long time in poe.

Also huge thanks to everyone who's been giving ideas, and pushing the build further and further. People like evilmindcz.

"
Nixxar wrote:
Hey,

~Nixxar

Was looking at your build as well as evilmindcz for ideas. Taken those are too expensive for my pockets, but the ones I could afford and the changes to the passive tree do make a big difference.

Thanks again everyone

First of all, I am not that strong in theorycrafting or currency generation. This reason alone makes me love this build because at about 20 exalts in, we really stomp content (even Uber Atziri at my current gearlevel).

Molten Shell will be leaving my build, it seems to interfere with bone armour like other people already stated. Bone Armour is what I have on my left click. I prefer Bone Barrier to Molten Shell so far, however, if someone has numbers stating Molten Shell is better I might stick to that and change the ascendancy (but rather stick with it).

Hydrosphere was an experiment which didn't seem to work out well. As far as I can see so far skeleton mages don't seem to benefit from it and the triggering EE range seems to be somewhat small. I will probably return to selfcast Storm Brand for this, but need to check my PoB first to see how it will affect the damage.

Hope this answers your questions :).

~Nixxar
Some recent equp updates, and reasoning behind these... Need some harvest craft tuning, but i dont buy these so it might take some time till i farm it myself.

This is mostly quality of life thing that i do with almost every character in every league, and i decided i can afford to lose one skeleton from Alberon boots - or technicaly still have the same number because i moved it to mastercrafted helmet. Side effect is that i can now replace antifreeze granite flask with Rumi, so i have 75/74 block.

I bought cheap enchant on low itemlevel, and tryed to gamble with add influence to flip it, it failed. But i dont really need that typical summoners elder helmet with 5-6L and +3, because i dont use any summons from it for damage. So technically this is an update for mages. Just need to replace that shock chance with chaos resist.

With current changes to Alva in atlas, it looks like it is rather easy to farm double corruption chamber. Breathstealers are cheap enough to gamble with them (i droped 3 while doing blight map challenge). This was my first try, and i already have few white socketed ones ready for next runs, hoping for a curse, that would free some gem sockets for some more fun experiments! :-)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info