[3.14] Odif's Old Obsolete Skel Mage Guide, New one is in a new thread

"
thomzon wrote:
Hi all,

After 2 failed chars, I wanna try skelly mages.

Has anyone made a PoB out of the guide ? It's still much easier when we are used to it to test things around.
Also, has anyone fooled around with combining mage skellies and summon phantasm in the same 6L ? They also shoot spell projectiles, and if using Triad Grip, can also benefit from all the same support gems. Maybe 10/11 phantasms more than makes up for the DPS loss of a support gem ? Or we could even put use a 6L soulwrest ?

That sounds like an interesting idea with the phantasms. Thanks to the Triad Gloves they would indeed be shooting elemental projectiles. With an extra 10-11 bodies to soak damage and source of damage it might even be able to replace the multiple projectiles since less need to flood the screen to hit everything.

The build already struggles with screenfulls of projectiles though.
"
Out of curiosity, would the build lose a lot if you swapped out one of the wands to a shield? I tend to die a lot, wondering if the build would take too much of a damage hit should I opt for a bit of survivability?

Also, what are your thoughts on 2 points to Mystic Bulwark for a bit more spell block, maybe instead of the western Templar jewel socket?

Yes, this is a fine option.

Get a shield with spell block and life on block.
"
CedricDur wrote:
"
thomzon wrote:
Hi all,

After 2 failed chars, I wanna try skelly mages.

Has anyone made a PoB out of the guide ? It's still much easier when we are used to it to test things around.
Also, has anyone fooled around with combining mage skellies and summon phantasm in the same 6L ? They also shoot spell projectiles, and if using Triad Grip, can also benefit from all the same support gems. Maybe 10/11 phantasms more than makes up for the DPS loss of a support gem ? Or we could even put use a 6L soulwrest ?

That sounds like an interesting idea with the phantasms. Thanks to the Triad Gloves they would indeed be shooting elemental projectiles. With an extra 10-11 bodies to soak damage and source of damage it might even be able to replace the multiple projectiles since less need to flood the screen to hit everything.

The build already struggles with screenfulls of projectiles though.

Phantasms is a similar but different build.
It requires a unique staff.
This precludes getting "trigger socketed spells when you use a skill" craft, so you have to self cast desecrate and bone offering.

That's why I don use it.

But its a strong build.
Ok...
Morning of Day 3 of Ritual.

I bought WEAPONS.

I bought 2 daggers, for 10 chaos each.
Daggers were much cheaper than wands.

(the damgae over time craft was on the dagger when I bought it.)
The +2 total spell gems is HUGE!

I did this right before killing Kitava Act 10.
It was a pathetically easy fight.

I found a trustworthy guy to craft "Trigger socketed Spells when you use a skill" on one dagger. Cost 3 chaos for the craft, and I tipped him 3 chaos.
His in game name is @ElevenNewMaps

Such a huge quality of life thing.
Last edited by Odif on Jan 17, 2021, 12:42:29 PM
"
Odif wrote:

Phantasms is a similar but different build.
It requires a unique staff.
This precludes getting "trigger socketed spells when you use a skill" craft, so you have to self cast desecrate and bone offering.

That's why I don use it.

But its a strong build.

No, we weren't talking about using Soulwrest but rather just swap in the Phantasm gem instead of a support gem. With the Triad Grip the phantasms now would do elemental damage and also make use of the support gems the mages are using. I was suggestion that with another 10-11 bodies throwing projectiles around then the multiple projectile gem could go.

Not sure it would be an improvement other than another 11 bodies to soak damage. Though someone used to have a build revolving around phantasms and https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Passive_Skill:Affliction~notable~life~from~death to keep all the minions topped off since reaching the cap of phantasms and summoning a new one would count as a death.

Not sure it has any use for this build.
Ok, there is a small correctable problem.

It seems Second Wind will support Anger.

So if you have your Triad Gloves in a 4l, then Angers mana reserve cost goes up, and you cant run a second aura.

FIX:
Triad has to have the top 2 sockets same color, either both red or both green.
Bottom is both of the other color.
Fuse until the top two are linked, and the bottom two are linked, 2 two links.

It's a pain, but after you do it, its done :)
Thanks for the reply!

One quick question, why do you use Anger instead of Hatred? Wouldn't Hatred provide better damage, since it scales based on % physical damage? Is it a matter of socket availability?
I'm having problems to make the triad glove 2R/2G
Can i use it with 2R/2B?
"
le16rrex wrote:
I'm having problems to make the triad glove 2R/2G
Can i use it with 2R/2B?

Because of the way 'Elemental Equilibrium' works, you can't have any blue sockets.

It is easy to get the sockets the right color by following the directions that Odif gave on the previous page for using the training bench and the socket recipes you get in delve. You should get what you need from the first T1 & T2 nodes you hit.
Ok i have a question:

Is it just me or the skelleton mages are NOT spell echo'ing?

My mage skellies are just casting once. The summon spell is happening twice (i'm summuning 4 skellies per cast) but that's just it. Can anyone confirm?

And in the case spell echo is not working on skellies anymore, what would be better to use?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info