3.15💣Velyna's Poets Pen Blade Blast 💣 All Content | Easy Start | Melt Endgame | 2 Button Gameplay

3.16 Scourge Updates

Trading in our Dodge for the new Suppression stat, gaining back some block and armour currently lost to the Acrobatics keystone.

Gaining unnerve from awakened gem buffs.

Tree and clusters will change, hopefully we pick up some life with the redistributing of scion wheel.

Hoping to pick up more defense from the tree.

All the damage of Assassin with multiple layers of defence, tap once to clear packs as you dash around the map. Cast on Crit and double Poets Pen does most of the work for you so this can literally be played with 2 buttons + flasks. Cheap to start with powerful scaling options for the wealthy.

Path of Building: Leaguestart | Ramping | Endgame | Literal God

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/Velyna

Build Video: https://www.youtube.com/velyna

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/velyna

Other Builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/2688095

1. Introduction

1.1. Pros/Cons
Pros
  • Smooth levelling: Physical spells get us through leaguestart with ease, blade vortex scales the same as blade blast and we get it act 1. We can literally use it until T16s while gathering gear for ultimate CoC destruction.
  • 2 Button gameplay: I often run through maps using only attack + dash, sometimes not even flasks.
  • Budget start: Basically zero requirements before hopping into early maps, with multiple large upgrades available early for cheap.

Cons
  • Transition: Similar to a LowLife build, CoC will require many different things to work properly. If you leaguestart this be ready to spend awhile as BV while gathering gear. Luckily it feels fine.
  • Not immortal: This build has multiple layers of defence, but eventually hits will get through your evade/dodge/block. If you facetank minotaur with damage mods you'll eventually die.

1.2. Videos

1.3. HC/SSF/Leaguestart Viable?
This can be leaguestarted in softcore, I have no idea if it's hardcore viable but imagine it is with decent gear.

SSF is probably possible, cluster jewels are an issue though. Would be very hard to achieve the finalized version.

1.4. Upgraded PoB
Installer

This version is updated faster and has extra features. The PoB links in the guide all use this and there might be differences from the standard one.

Uninstall PoB before installing this or you might get errors.

2. Leveling

This is what I used and how I built my character in a fresh league scenario, if you have levelling items it's even better. Blade Vortex is available early and feels decent right away, but really picks up around act 4-5.

If you already have gear and/or money feel free to level however you like but I would still recommend hitting a decent level before committing to the Poets Pen + CoC.

Act 1

---Attack---

---Aura---

---Movement---

I used Ethereal Knives until getting BV. Arcane surge can be linked to Flame Dash instead allowing another gem in the main setup, if you go this route keep arcane surge level 1 for max uptime. Try to have some cold resistance and a Rustic Sash by the end of Act 1.

Act 2

--Attack--

---Aura---

---Movement---

If you link Arcane Surge to Flame Dash, you can run added cold+controlled destruction in main setup. Dont forget to do bear quest for a free belt.

Act 3

---Attack---

---Aura---

---Movement---

First lab should be pretty easy around the end of this act or beginning of next one, take Opportunistic.

Act 4-6

---Attack---

---Aura---

---Movement---

---CWDT 1---

---CWDT 2---

CWDT setups give us a lot of value here, free frenzy charges and a defensive curse plus the usual golem and guard skill.

When you run second lab take Unstable Infusion.

Act 7-10

Next 2 labs get Deadly Infusion then Mistwalker.
https://www.twitch.tv/velyna
Last edited by Velyna on Oct 16, 2021, 7:38:10 AM
Last bumped on Oct 16, 2021, 7:38:33 AM

3. Gear

The first 2 sections are mainly used for a smooth leaguestart, or if you don't have lots of currency yet. If you can afford everything in Phase 3 feel free to jump right into that, otherwise don't be afraid to invest in Phase 2. With a few exalts you should be set up for red maps to farm the CoC gear quite easily.

Phase 1: Leaguestart

Just wear whatever you find with a preference for armour bases. Grab yourself The Highwayman as soon as possible, we will always have 5 charges and this is our only easy source of leech. My next purchase would usually be a Lioneyes Remorse because I like being able to take a hit.

Phase 2: Ramping

This phase is pretty much gathering jewels and uniques. Crown of Inward Eye is an easy straight upgrade whenever you can afford, don't worry about lab enchant yet. Rumi's can be used forever so grab one.

Clusters: I used 2 each of the small/medium clusters shown here they werent too pricey last time I checked. You can buy a Large with more added passives since it will likely be replaced later anyway.

Intuitive Leap: This is the only thing here that wont be used all the way through, if you want to try and skip it and save money you can. It gives us a lot of nice stuff however and I consider it worth.

Phase 3: Blade Blast Transition
----------DON'T RUSH THE SWITCH INTO THIS PHASE OR IT WILL FEEL BAD----------

The big purchases here are the Farruls and upgraded clusters. We also need Aspect of the Cat somewhere, and a big flat accuracy roll somewhere. With the gear shown I was able to run high red maps with little trouble, and we scale really hard into the next phase both DPS and tankiness. Asenaths can be expensive at start of league but are super nice.

Phase 4: Literal God
Helmet

I wear Inward Eye forever, the only upgrade is enchant and then possibly corrupt.

Gloves

These can be pricey but it's a very easy way to add a second curse.

+1 frenzy is also a straight DPS upgrade.

Chest

Since we already get power charges from ascend, replica farruls is the obvious choice. This free's up a small cluster from generating our endurance charges and removes the need for a silver flask.

Boots

The important things are Tailwind and ideally Cooldown Recovery. I like Two Toned base for the resist but thats optional. If you can't get move speed the bench craft is fine we're fast anyway.

Jewellery

We need some accuracy, life gain on spell hit, resists, life and I also put Aspect of Cat here. The amulet and vermillion are overkill.

Belt

Hunter belt with %life and Overwhelm, plus resists. Stygian is ideal but leather works if that's what you have. You will really notice the overwhelm helping on certain maps/bosses.

Jewels

Watcher's Eye: Pride double damage and/or Precision crit multi. Just the pride is quite affordable, both together will cost a lot but is a massive upgrade.

Lethal Pride: Try to hit double damage or %phys on 3+ nodes. There's no rush just drop divines on it whenever you get them.

Unnatural Instinct: This replaces our Intuitive Leap and free's up some points. Expensive, but worth it.

Cluster Jewels

• Large: Same as last phase, but make sure it's 8 passives and try to get something else nice like resists.
  • Medium: These are flexible as long as Overwhelming Malice and Pressure Points are included.
  • Small: Fettle 3 points because they give us so much life that we absolutely need.

Weapons

If you want some more crit for Kinetic Bolt, you can run one of these with a crit corrupt. That's really the only possible change here.

Flasks

The basalt and atziri's are flexible, you can run a diamond in fifth slot instead.

4. Misc

4.1 Ascend
  • Opportunistic
  • Unstable Infusion
  • Mistwalker
  • Deadly Infusion

The last 2 can be taken in either order. You want Unstable Infusion for both damage, and to get leech from the Highwaymen ring when you get it.

4.2 Bandit

Alira or 2 points, with alira being more DPS and the points helping us reach Phase Acro for some defence.

4.3 Pantheon

Major: Solaris or Lunaris

Minor: Gruthkul

This is my standard setup, feel free to run whatever you want.
Last edited by Velyna on Jan 30, 2021, 1:38:58 PM
Reserved
velyHype
Last edited by ThePineappleFairy on Jan 2, 2021, 1:46:21 PM
Great Build, has high defence plus lot's of DPS, highly recommend.
great build , but got one tiny little question : don't you want something else as support instead of conc effect for the bladeblast ? the explosions are kind of tiny and not many of the actually hit .
"
NoobInAction wrote:
great build , but got one tiny little question : don't you want something else as support instead of conc effect for the bladeblast ? the explosions are kind of tiny and not many of the actually hit .

Seems to hit alright for me but there are other options. Can use Brutality for example just make sure to replace the overwhelming malice jewel and atziris flask since you couldn't do chaos damage.
I've been looking for a build like this, started on on standard not using twink gear to get the feel. Breezed thru act 1 with no issues, this will definitely be my next league char. Thanks

update, been enjoying this a ton, in act 3, and deathless. I've noticed that blade vortex does little damage compared to ethereal knives, the starting skill. So far I'm keeping blade vortex as shown, using it on boss fights with success. Hopefully it will come alive soon.
Last edited by nicemoki on Jan 6, 2021, 10:08:18 AM
Will update once patch notes are out.
"
nicemoki wrote:
I've noticed that blade vortex does little damage compared to ethereal knives, the starting skill. So far I'm keeping blade vortex as shown, using it on boss fights with success. Hopefully it will come alive soon.

Act 3-4 is the slowest part due mainly to lacking a couple ascend points and Brutality support, it gets lots better soon!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info