change (modification number) sockets, colour of sockets

Hi i wonder how are working changer sockets and color changer for sockets. For example i have this

Unavailable

To look like this
Unavailable

3 blue 1 red or 4 blue.
Yesterday i try to make some items to have more socket slots different colors of thats socket and i use like 25 orbs(on 5 different items) for that and fail (none of the items were to be used)
For example i try to change to have 3 sockets on this
Unavailable
Unavailable

and it always give me like 2 and 1 socket slots and they are always red. I try 5 different items but all of them get like 1-2 socket slots and they are (all) red or green or just one blue.

Is the any way to make that happend easy like connecting sockets? Maby change number of socket like from 1 to 2 then to 3 and then to 4 ?
And color of sockets like for example red -> green-> blue and get to the next one socket,
or change all of sockets like for example red -> green-> blue?

Because it would be very helpful.

Wouldn't it be great if you have button to press what color you prefer to have? :)

ps. sory for my English i never learn it in school.
"Having a Key, having a game, Playing all day"
Life is just a game.
IGN: Twitch/Tox2
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707

That thread has a lot of information, and does a good job of explaining how sockets work.

I will also try to briefly answer your questions.

Using orbs is quite a random process. You use a Jeweler's Orb it may make the socket number increase or it may make it decrease. However low level items have a max number of sockets. Look at the list below to see how many sockets an item of a certain level can have. (you can check an items level by typing /itemlevel into chat while the item is on your cursor).

Item level needed for number of sockets
1 socket : 1
2 sockets: 1
3 sockets: 15
4 sockets: 28
5 sockets: 35
6 sockets: 50

If you use a Chromatic Orb any color's can result and you have no control over it. However they are most likely to get sockets of the color that the item is associated with. If the item has Armor, it will most likely be red. If the item has Energy Shield the sockets will more likely be blue etc. This means if you are try to get 3 blue sockets, try an item that has energy shield on it. If you want 2 red sockets and 2 green sockets, look for an item with armor and evasion to use your chromatics on.

Yes it would be nice if you had more control over your gems, however this would make the game "too easy". If you had more control you could make very very good items right away, making the item hunt take no time at all, which is really a lot of what the ARPG genre is about.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to help you with.
Last edited by h0b0_lemnade on Mar 16, 2013, 1:09:34 AM
I don't buy this too easy meme that gets parroted over and over.

Problem is you may get your 3 slots or 4 (say you are trying for 5), but the next attempt will drop you to 1 again. In other words, every attempt is it's own dice roll, so to get anything great is a ridiculously low chance and makes "crafting" a complete waste of time.

Blah blah, yeah yeah, "You want everything easy1!" Bullshit.
FFA loot sucks.
"
h0b0_lemnade wrote:
(...)
Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to help you with.

Thanks man that is very helpful :) You know i'm trying my very strange style play but i like it. It is
Unavailable
Tempest + lighting damage + sheld /

and

Unavailable
Unavailable

Firestorm + anger + chance to ignite + elemental weakness (and maby wrath)

in this way is a very individual and unique character.
It is working great but above 30 level i started to see that i need to faster change amount of armor.

I`m gonna try think a way to work this style and maybe made some suggestions to game (that be good for evry one ^^).

Once more thanks for help.
Life is just a game.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Die_Scream wrote:
(...)

No no no, i just wana to have "work this style play" i think it is very good and unique. And h0b0_lemnade explain me how it is working so i be making changes to this style.
Life is just a game.
Last edited by Toxic999 on Apr 29, 2012, 9:21:47 PM
"
Die_Scream wrote:

Problem is you may get your 3 slots or 4 (say you are trying for 5), but the next attempt will drop you to 1 again. In other words, every attempt is it's own dice roll, so to get anything great is a ridiculously low chance and makes "crafting" a complete waste of time.

Imo crafting is not at all useless, almost every single item I use past level 30 is crafted in some way.

Do you not believe that it is possible for a game to be too easy?
Yeah crafting is the best way to be stronger so i am 100% crafted :)
Life is just a game.
"
h0b0_lemnade wrote:
"
Die_Scream wrote:

Imo crafting is not at all useless, almost every single item I use past level 30 is crafted in some way.

Do you not believe that it is possible for a game to be too easy?

"You want it easy" is the cop out red herring the so-called "hardcores" spew anytime the flaws in the system are pointed out, as if it's either brutally punishing, or instant 6-slot. No in between. Worst "crafting" in any game I've ever seen. I buy lotto tickets for that kind of dreaming of a win, games aren't supposed to be so extremely set against success. You don't even get a say or influence on your success, terrible.

I love the game other than that honestly. That extreme system is a total game-breaker for me though.

Sorry for the derail, I'll bow out of the thread.
FFA loot sucks.
Last edited by Die_Scream on Apr 30, 2012, 1:43:40 AM
"
Die_Scream wrote:

I would like to see some progression for crafting which would give some additional motivation to becoming a crafter, and also some sort of benefits i.e. increase the success percentiles so when you have burned your 1st 1000 orbs of fusing you have even a small chance of a better outcome would make it less of a lottery, and more satisfying for me anyway. To know my last 3 days of farming to try and make a better item will at least show a skill increase rather than just X number of lottery tickets.
Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who have not.
I think it'd be great if there was some system for crafting which is not 100% random. I was not understanding why i cant make my shield to a better item for "int" user because i was so convinced that it is possible i was not even considering that it may be otherwise. When we look at the possibility of creating a character this brings us to the conclusion that we have a completely free hand in making your unique character. But crafting not support that completely because it is boxed like
str = red - armor, shield,
dex = green - armor + evasion, shield + evasion
int = blue - armor + energy shield, shield + energy shield
right?

1 idea
sooo maybe can some character in game do it for us and we gonna pay for that some items maybe or some obs
or make quest for him like kill something or find some stuff

2 idea
new obs that depend on the amount of your skills for example
a)and they are solid colors (making all sockets one color)
you have dex 50 int 40 str 30 so it drops green some blue and mabye some red
you have dex 30 int 80 str 30 so it drops lots of blue and mabye some red and green

b) it drops different color
you have dex 150 int 140 str 130 - so green and blue and red (if more than 3 sockets 4 gonna be green and 5 gonna be blue and 6 red)
you have dex 50 int 300 str 100 - so 3 sockets blue (if more sockets 4 is blue (or red) 5 red (or blue if 4 is red) 6 is blue (or can be green or red)

I realize that maybe we will have to work on this idea :D
This may be complete stupidity, or a total genius :D
What do you think?
Life is just a game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info