Conversational Topic: PVP "Invasions"

Wraeclast, in it's layout and lore explains, is a place of turmoil, despair, and hopelessness. I took a bit of time off to play Dark Souls, and when I cam back a thought popped into my head. What does everyone think of this PVP feature (Note: This would probably need to be restricted to default league... unless hardcore players wanted in on some of the action...):

Alright... say there was an item. This item might be pretty easy to get. That is, high level players in default might be able to buy it cheap and high level players in hardcore (if applicable) might have to trade some intense stuff to obtain it. This item could be used in a zone... When used it brings up a list of players in that zone who are within x levels of the user. No class is given, nor are the levels, just the name. The user selects a name, and then invades that person's zone instance. When this happens, neither player is able to exit the zone (TPs / WPs / and Entrance / Exits are locked down... of course I guess a player could just alt-f4 or something...) until one of them is killed, either by one another or the monsters still walkin around. During this invasion there is also an additional UI feature that pops up, letting each player know the general direction of where his/her target is located. Perhaps during this event in hardcore dying might not move the player to default for the duration, but that's a conversation.

A ladder could be kept for invasion kills, and there is always the option for y number of trophies (ear of Kyngdeus, ear of blah, or whatever...) to be sold for a special item from the vendors.

Anyway, just a thought. Whatchu thinkin?
so basically cut-throat league built into an item
Winner of the First Ever Cut-Throat Server Test, and Winner of the First Ever Cut-Throat League Event!
"
KyngOfSpades wrote:
No class is given, nor are the levels, just the name.

Might as well give the class and level, given that information is simply a /whois away.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
I don't really like the thought of not being able to flee like a sissy and escape on any league. Cut-throat is not only about killing people and getting their stuff, for some players cut-throat is all about evading getting killed and losing their stuff, the PVP'ers being a added challange. Not being able to escape from them would be silly in my opinion as it forces you to fight someone who will probably kick your ass.
Shoep - Default league Ranger
Peohs - Any other class or character i play.
Jhuvik - My Marauder
Merialeth - My witch
Last edited by Shoep on Apr 30, 2012, 4:59:23 AM
I think it would be more fair if A.

The Item is strictly a drop on all league (except cut-throat)

The item allows for entrance into a players instance, once the item is used it becomes bound to the players inventory, cursed.

If the player dies with the item inside their inventory, they drop everything. If they manage to kill a player with the item activated, the player who died randomly drops 1 item, including gear, bag items, I.E scroll of wisdom etc.

Though a number of elementals of PvP need to be fixed first like entering peoples instances for *instance*

It isn't fair to have names tagged directly onto a players active instance, nor show the number of players inside an instance, these give massive advantages to the hunter, they can pick and choose their battles.

On the Flip side I don't think players should be aware that another player has entered their instance, and markers shouldn't be activated via tab until first contact is achieved.

Just the option to invade, and then you'll find out what your up against.

Of course you'd beable to use these items in groups, but I see obvious issues with it.

if the item is easy to come by players won't feel safe, if its too rare players won't feel able to fight back, so its really a lose lose for us default care bears.

Maybe a more neutral reward, like well graded orb drops on kill, and still keeping the pvp item rare? The PvP item would be expended and used when the player dies.

As for the rarity I'm thinking along the lines of Blessing and Divine rare.
Last edited by Neokolzia on Apr 30, 2012, 5:10:39 AM
It would be an interesting mechanic... Instead of the utter chaos that will no doubt ensue in the Cut-Throat leagues, random duels the death in other leagues would be exciting, especially late-game.

Would be kind of cool to have different tiers of these items... one might let you be able to see the characters name but you drop everything if you die, One might allow you to invade but reduces mana regeneration by 100%, etc. etc.

It might also promote partying more in areas, knowing that the threat of invasion is every looming. You have more of a chance 2v1, and would add just that much more excitement!

And for those not feeling trapped, what about a time limit? 3-5 minutes until the invader is returned to his own instance. Giving the "invadee" the option to run like a sissy pants.
"
KyngOfSpades wrote:
Wraeclast, in it's layout and lore explains, is a place of turmoil, despair, and hopelessness. I took a bit of time off to play Dark Souls, and when I cam back a thought popped into my head. What does everyone think of this PVP feature (Note: This would probably need to be restricted to default league... unless hardcore players wanted in on some of the action...):

Alright... say there was an item. This item might be pretty easy to get. That is, high level players in default might be able to buy it cheap and high level players in hardcore (if applicable) might have to trade some intense stuff to obtain it. This item could be used in a zone... When used it brings up a list of players in that zone who are within x levels of the user. No class is given, nor are the levels, just the name. The user selects a name, and then invades that person's zone instance. When this happens, neither player is able to exit the zone (TPs / WPs / and Entrance / Exits are locked down... of course I guess a player could just alt-f4 or something...) until one of them is killed, either by one another or the monsters still walkin around. During this invasion there is also an additional UI feature that pops up, letting each player know the general direction of where his/her target is located. Perhaps during this event in hardcore dying might not move the player to default for the duration, but that's a conversation.

A ladder could be kept for invasion kills, and there is always the option for y number of trophies (ear of Kyngdeus, ear of blah, or whatever...) to be sold for a special item from the vendors.

Anyway, just a thought. Whatchu thinkin?

Why not let the game choose a random open instance and invade that like dark souls? I really enjoyed the pvp in dark souls. Let the feature be a toggle though. Give some incentive for leaving the toggle on (say 5% magic find.) In dark souls you can play offline and you will not get invaded by other players, still NPCs that will invade. So the toggle would simulate wanting to play offline, like you can in dark souls. The 5% magic find is basically trying to get more people into it, but not to crazy that people would have to.

Last edited by Total on Apr 30, 2012, 7:03:23 PM
TBH this whole idea seems overwrought. Just my 2c tho, perhaps if it gets fleshed out and streamlined it could be fun.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
"
unsane wrote:
TBH this whole idea seems overwrought. Just my 2c tho, perhaps if it gets fleshed out and streamlined it could be fun.

What about the idea seems overwrought? Like which particular part makes it that way to you?

Diablo 2 was great for it's interesting quirks. Uber bosses, Uber Tristam, the secret cow level, etc. These are features that, perhaps, might be considered "overwrought" but they made the Diablo 2 experience what it was.

I just thought it would be fun to bring a standard sense of PVP to each game mode in some way... I will have a cut-throat character, but I feel like this mode might be a different experience than a normal Hardcore / Softcore play. I, enjoying happy mediums, am just trying to propose a way to bring a standard PVP feature to the PvE structure. And as far as "generally" PvE RPGs go, I know of no game that did it better than Demon's Souls. It feels simple and natural, and of course would be simpler than words can explain.

Again though, I appreciate the conversation. I am not saying to do what I am proposing. I just wanted to hear some feedback, tweaks, changes, and any other comments the community might have.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info