[3.16] Caustic Arrow/Death's Oath Occultist [Life based Chaos Autobomber]

"
f4ward wrote:

Exactly

Sounds like a clever mix between Inspiration and Arcane Surge. :) Hope it works!
I'm going to attempt this for either my first or second build... super stoked about the base damage increase. Just curious though, do the quiver/bow nerfs make it worth switching from CA to Blight?
Hello! I am also excited to be playing this build for the next league. But do you recommend it as a leaguestart and does it scale well?
"
Mozenber wrote:
I'm going to attempt this for either my first or second build... super stoked about the base damage increase. Just curious though, do the quiver/bow nerfs make it worth switching from CA to Blight?

CA Damage almost didn't change, quivers still affect it. We only lost a tiny bit of damage from cluster (in 2 cluster variant) and crafted mod on bow. Expect maybe up to 5% loss, probably less.

Blight is much lower DPS than CA and even if you bring it's damage to CA levels, you will have to stop moving and channel.

"
Xetremer wrote:
Hello! I am also excited to be playing this build for the next league. But do you recommend it as a leaguestart and does it scale well?

If you intend on pushing as fast as possible on first few days, then I would probably start with a different build. It's definitely possible, but our scaling to endgame will require some more expensive items.
Some of the items which we need (data from Ritual):

Hidden Potential - 2-3c on day 3 (Get is this ASAP and wear mostly magics while leveling)
Impresence - 3-4Ex fist few days, 1Ex on day 9, 15c on day 14.
Viridi's Veil - 3-4Ex first few days, 1Ex on day 5, 10-15c on day 10 (depending on rolls. top rolls are much more expensive)

If you are more casual and reach maps after a week or more - go for it.
Caustic Arrow is decent for leveling, scales mostly on gem levels, doesn't require you to switch weapons often while leveling.

Caustic Arrow/Death's Oath Occultist - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2990048
Last edited by f4ward on Apr 15, 2021, 3:45:55 AM
Hey! Nice build, I am using it right now.

However, I have to make a note about what you wrote:
"If you manage to get one with 4B,2G or with white sockets - replace Less Duration with Awakened Increased Area support."

This is not correct, right? Because even with a lvl 5 Awakened Increased Area support with 20% quality, it has lower DPS and its area is not increased at all.
I tried it in the PvP arena and the area of effect increase does absolutely nothing.

Was it increasing the area of effect in an older patch or something?
"
Hey! Nice build, I am using it right now.

However, I have to make a note about what you wrote:
"If you manage to get one with 4B,2G or with white sockets - replace Less Duration with Awakened Increased Area support."

This is not correct, right? Because even with a lvl 5 Awakened Increased Area support with 20% quality, it has lower DPS and its area is not increased at all.
I tried it in the PvP arena and the area of effect increase does absolutely nothing.

Was it increasing the area of effect in an older patch or something?

I did some testing a while ago, not in PvP though - it's not a huge, but it's noticeable.
Conc. Effect reduces the area, Inc. Area brings it back to almost original area.

If you have more AOE, you start damaging monster from a little further away and deal more damage in the time you actually reach them.

You can see the effect in latest POB, they finally added the missing Area.

But in the end, since it's not a huge difference, it comes down to personal preference.
Caustic Arrow/Death's Oath Occultist - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2990048
How soon will this guide be updated for 3.14 patch? Looking forward to league starting as DO for the first time :)
"
I did some testing a while ago, not in PvP though - it's not a huge, but it's noticeable.
Conc. Effect reduces the area, Inc. Area brings it back to almost original area.

If you have more AOE, you start damaging monster from a little further away and deal more damage in the time you actually reach them.

But in the end, since it's not a huge difference, it comes down to personal preference.

I tested it today with my brother in PvP, we came the the conclusion it did litterally no difference in the AOE size. Not even 1 pixel difference.
I think you really need to test this yourself.
It makes no difference if PoB shows the value or not, because it is not used in the actual game.

If it for some reason acts differently in a PvP setting compared to a PvE setting, how do you even test it in a perfect setting outside of PvP? The enemy must be standing still and not die to be able to test it perfectly like I did in PvP.
I tried now but died many many times without having any accurate results in PvE, so how did you test it?
Last edited by rpgplayerrobin on Apr 15, 2021, 4:19:40 PM
"
Okatash wrote:
How soon will this guide be updated for 3.14 patch? Looking forward to league starting as DO for the first time :)

Nothing really changes, apart from our damage (should be higher).
Also, Arcane Surge, probably (still need to confirm it ingame) can be replaced with Lifetap support for easier coloring.

"
Spoiler
"

I tested it today with my brother in PvP, we came the the conclusion it did litterally no difference in the AOE size. Not even 1 pixel difference.
I think you really need to test this yourself.
It makes no difference if PoB shows the value or not, because it is not used in the actual game.

If it for some reason acts differently in a PvP setting compared to a PvE setting, how do you even test it in a perfect setting outside of PvP? The enemy must be standing still and not die to be able to test it perfectly like I did in PvP.

I tried now but died many many times without having any accurate results in PvE, so how did you test it?

Breakable objects in Atziri's vault are perfect for this. With very careful inching :)

Update: Just tested again. There is a difference.
Last edited by f4ward on Apr 15, 2021, 4:56:21 PM
Yeah, I tried this now in The Blood Aqueduct with their barrels, and it does seem to increase the distance for sure.
For some reason it was different in the PvP arena.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info