Idea/Suggestion: Combat needs work.

GGG i am an eager supporter of your game.

But the more i play it i realise the combat is way to simple.

Here is a idea to make combat more fluid interesting. in a simple but rather complex nature. i suggest a new type of Gems, called Chain Gems. These gems will make it possible to link together with primary skill gems, but instead of supporting the gem it will unlock a new ability that will only be able to use when you used the primary skill first.

This is something i have never in a ARPG, so why not do it and set your game system apart. By making it chain gems people can still spam the same attack and ignore chaining skills together.

The thing is if you use a Chain gem linked with a skill gem you will have one less Support gem you can use, and you have to make sure you got both mana to execute both skills.

I Think this could be a way to expand and make your game more interesting, and make it your own style.

They could be used in combination with Auras and skills that give durations like Phase Run. and other type of interesting skills. But the most important thing, it could be away to balance certain skills, and make the classes different , instead of just by the start point passive skill tree. By making the skills work differently compared to what type of weapon you use. I recognise this a rather complex system. but it doesn't seem like your game is not about being complex :) so i hope you consider it for future expansion and making the game more interesting in the long run. Cheers from me and thanks for reading

Hmm should this have been posted in the feedback thread?
Ehh I disagree. I believe they need to do what they say they probably will do. Some skills need a cooldown. For instance flicker strike strongly needs one. I mean a 1 second cooldown changes everything and would make the skill much more balanced and still very useful. In doing this people will need to use multiple skills and sill make combat more interesting.
You're right, combat does need work. I made a post about it as well, how combat was reduced to spamming your main offensive skills after wearing your auras and possible curses.

Redundancy of ressource management, as well as the lack of cooldowns is the main culprit, but your suggestion is interesting.
You can pretty much spam skills with 5 potion slots.

Plus the skill effects are so nice at times, they are kind of wasted when they are your default attack.

Problem is the level design: monsters are too evenly spread.

This is the biggest weakness of the game for me and a design problem:

No peaks and valleys. No highs and lows. 95% of the game happens in the middle range where you attack random average monsters, or bosses that don't do much.

As a side effect it's also extremely annoying that you have to run half way accross the map if you want to have just 30 seconds of peace for a phone call or something. This again is because monters are too evenly spread.
"
DeathSpear wrote:
Ehh I disagree. I believe they need to do what they say they probably will do. Some skills need a cooldown. For instance flicker strike strongly needs one. I mean a 1 second cooldown changes everything and would make the skill much more balanced and still very useful. In doing this people will need to use multiple skills and sill make combat more interesting.

Sorry i find the concept of Cooldown extremely lazy as a design choice.

its much better to put up ressource management or key push combinations to provoke the player being more creative, interactive in the game. Cooldowns are the lazy way to balance everything. there are so many ways to make a game come alive, and i strongly believe that cooldown is not a mechanic that makes games comes alive. infact it makes them more boring, just waiting so you can spam the attack again.

I bet they do it, because their game is not designed toward this new mechanic i am suggesting but i hope they will consider it in the future, it could make the game far more outstanding from the Arpg crowd. and offer something slightly new. while still supporting the hardcore crowd with their spamming if they so desire it that way.
I agree with webcider, cooldowns are the laziest way to balance and I don't think they fit an ARPG. The OP has a very solid idea, a combo system, while not balancing definitely adds a level to combat that is interesting.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info