[0.10.4] Narutobieber's The Budget Strike Build(LS). Who says melee needs to be gear dependant.

oops repost
IGN- Narutobieber
GUIDES:
Templar Budget Strike build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/298433/page/1
Marauder Universal Endgame Skill template: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/338007
Last edited by Narutobieber on Apr 7, 2013, 8:11:57 PM
"
Narutobieber wrote:
*3-4k+ dps with lightning strike (with a weapon that costs a few chaos), this is deceptive because this doesn't take into account the HUGE boost iron grip gives

I'm not sure I agree with this. To start with this number is already modified by the Melee dmg gem which doesn't apply to the projectiles. Secondly I wouldn't really say that iron grip adds that much damage. Especially with a low dps weapon I'd say that a couple of hundred points in strength adds at the most a couple of hundred points to your dps value. As a reference those 200 str points add less than 1k dps to my 21k dps LS templar.
IGN Standard: HolyPatman
IGN Anarchy: UnholyPatman
"
"
Narutobieber wrote:
*3-4k+ dps with lightning strike (with a weapon that costs a few chaos), this is deceptive because this doesn't take into account the HUGE boost iron grip gives

I'm not sure I agree with this. To start with this number is already modified by the Melee dmg gem which doesn't apply to the projectiles. Secondly I wouldn't really say that iron grip adds that much damage. Especially with a low dps weapon I'd say that a couple of hundred points in strength adds at the most a couple of hundred points to your dps value. As a reference those 200 str points add less than 1k dps to my 21k dps LS templar.

THe reason why iron grip is so good is that it allows your projectiles to "double dip" from strength. First your initial projectile damage is simply 70% of your melee damage which is modified by strength. then your projectiles are modified AGAIN by the strength from iron grip.

Also link your weapon, this build I'm advocating requires high phys dps weapons. ele damage is ok but isn't greatest for this build
IGN- Narutobieber
GUIDES:
Templar Budget Strike build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/298433/page/1
Marauder Universal Endgame Skill template: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/338007
Last edited by Narutobieber on Apr 11, 2013, 1:38:14 AM
"
Narutobieber wrote:
melee dmg gem does actually affect your projectiles.

Unfortunately it doesn't - the mechanics of LS is that that initial hit portion of LS is "Melee" but the projectiles are just that "projectiles" so they are not affected but melee phys dmg nodes, any str bonus or melee dmg gem (unfortunately - would be awesome ofc). Same reason as the new Multistrike gem doesn't reduce the damage of the projectiles but only the initial hit. This has been confirmed quite a few times over.

My weapon as requested:

Spoiler

EDIT: Was not slagging off the build - just pointed out that one error.
IGN Standard: HolyPatman
IGN Anarchy: UnholyPatman
Last edited by AlmightyPatman on Apr 10, 2013, 4:54:19 AM
"
Narutobieber wrote:
feedback anyone?

Maybe it is a just a nitpick, but your thread title says "Who says melee needs to be gear dependant."

That's a silly thing to say, since this isn't a melee build, except in the pedantic "the skill gem has the word melee on it" sense. If you play it as ranged, it is a ranged build. LS is about as melee as freezing pulse.
Last edited by magicrectangle on Apr 10, 2013, 5:34:27 AM
Depends on your build yes, most LS builds are Ranged builds. But some are much closer to melee/hybrid;

LS > Multi > WED > Ele Proliferation > Blood Magic > Chain + Point Blank keystone passive

It's what I am running now and does better than any of the ranged LS builds out there in terms of efficiency. I run 1H/Shield so my raw DPS is lower than a 2Hander build but you can't match the shock stacking potential and synergy of this combo along with Shield defenses.

But I disgress, LS can still be a melee build if you build towards it.
Just a few questions on this build:

1. Can you go marauder instead of templar and work your way up?
2. Can you switch out lightning strike for freezing pulse?
3. Can you use a 2h weapon late game instead of sword and shield?
"
Dravok wrote:
1. Can you go marauder instead of templar and work your way up?

Yes, you just won't do as much damage at lower levels. That's not really a problem though.

"
2. Can you switch out lightning strike for freezing pulse?

Not easily/effectively. You have 1h nodes, you have iron grip, you have weapon elemental nodes, you have resolute technique. All of that stuff is worthless for freezing pulse.

"
3. Can you use a 2h weapon late game instead of sword and shield?

~13 respec points will get you there, if you so desire. Or are you asking if it is a good idea? The idea of this build is to be budget, so he's gone 1h+shield to make up for the defenses you likely won't have if you're wearing low end gear.
"
Narutobieber wrote:
"
superbobob wrote:
I got bored with my LS templar, I'm gonna give a try to your build, lots of good idea in it (although I think getting the Reduced Mana gems might be expensive) !

the reduced mana gems shouldn't cost more than 1 chaos each, they're pretty cheap, you just got to level 2 of em to pretty high lvl to run hatred+purity+vitality+tempest shield.

assuming you have the links, you only need one reduced mana gem.

E.g. in your boots you have two auras and in the gloves you have two other auras.

1) Put reduced mana gem in the boots, cast the auras.
2) remove reduced mana gem, the aura stays on
3) put reducd mana in your gloves and cast the other auras

The real reason this is great is not so much the chaos that you spare buying a RM gem, but that it gives you two more gem slots for some utility spells (curse, totem, etc)
"
bilbosan wrote:
The real reason this is great is not so much the chaos that you spare buying a RM gem, but that it gives you two more gem slots for some utility spells (curse, totem, etc)

Probably not a curse since it will be a red slot (although I suppose it isn't inconceivable that you'd want to run warlord's sometimes).

Leap slam and enduring cry are good candidates, although most people like to get enduring cry linked up to faster casting. Rejuv totem is good unsupported. Molten shell is an option, although again faster casting is usually desired. (4L faster casting + molten shell + 2x enduring cry)

Of course you always end up running out of skill bar slots, even without any auras on there =/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info