Incredibly slow load time?

"
Qetuth wrote:
My loading currently takes about a minute, freshly installed on an SSD. Before, on a slower hard drive, it used to vary wildly but usually be about 30-90 seconds, until I ran the pack defragmenter then it seemed to get more consistent at about 60 seconds.

It's only particularly annoying for me when I'm late to a race, but I would appreciate some ideas for reducing the loading time which do actually reduce it...

(btw, while the ssd didn't improve game load time, it drastically reduced instance load time)

Something is terribly wrong with your computer then. SSDs typically load 2-3 times faster than HDDs

Even a shitty SSD can usually do about 200MB/sec while the best consumer hard drives usually top out at about 120MB/sec. You can get much faster with 15,000 rpm drives, but they generate insane amounts of heat. So unless you dished out about 500 bucks for a 500 gig drive, there is something else bottlenecking your machine.

EDIT: You could likely benefit from profiling your machine. It examines things as they run and sees where the wait states are.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Feb 9, 2014, 2:07:33 AM
"
Qetuth wrote:
My loading currently takes about a minute, freshly installed on an SSD. Before, on a slower hard drive, it used to vary wildly but usually be about 30-90 seconds, until I ran the pack defragmenter then it seemed to get more consistent at about 60 seconds.

Something is wrong, how much RAM you got? are you sure PoE is installed on the SSD and not on a normal hard drive? because 1min to load PoE on a SSD is almost impossible, something else is causing a bottleneck...is your SSD old and/or full capacity?
Tech guy
yeah, it takes about 5 minutes to me to get to the title screen.
Don't know if it's been mentioned ( and I'm not looking for it lol), but I improved my load time dramatically by installing it on a different hard-drive
Last edited by SutterBotch on Aug 23, 2014, 5:33:39 PM
I always had to wait 1-2mins for my game to load. I stopped playing soon after Sacrifice of the Vaal came out. (not that it was bad) After an urge to play again, I loaded the game and it took about 4 mins. After forsaken masters came out, it took about 6 min. And after this recent hotfix, it took about 12 mins. Obviously my hard drive is getting hooked up on something. I heard something about defragmenting the content data to help clear out the old junk. Does GGG have their own defragmenter in the files or do I need to use some sort of manual method?
"
Ratch3t91 wrote:
I always had to wait 1-2mins for my game to load. I stopped playing soon after Sacrifice of the Vaal came out. (not that it was bad) After an urge to play again, I loaded the game and it took about 4 mins. After forsaken masters came out, it took about 6 min. And after this recent hotfix, it took about 12 mins. Obviously my hard drive is getting hooked up on something. I heard something about defragmenting the content data to help clear out the old junk. Does GGG have their own defragmenter in the files or do I need to use some sort of manual method?

the ggpk defrag application is linked in the Consolidated Technical sticky post.
Okay guys, quit whining.

The reason it takes so long to load, is that it does a 'Pre-load' of the core of the game to reduce load times between area/acts.

You *CAN* use the '--nopreload' I believe to bring down the main game load to about 10 seconds, but each time it loads an act or area, it will greatly increase those load times. (Not a good thing to have in a Ladder race).

Personally, I can do a full load in about 30 seconds.

Core I5-4570/8GB ram/Samsung EVO SSD.
My game takes about 6-8mn to load. I know I'm not running a ton of RAM (4gb) but it's still kinda long... So I'm surprised people say it's long and then state it's 45seconds :D
"
iamnotspock wrote:
Okay guys, quit whining.

The reason it takes so long to load, is that it does a 'Pre-load' of the core of the game to reduce load times between area/acts.

You *CAN* use the '--nopreload' I believe to bring down the main game load to about 10 seconds, but each time it loads an act or area, it will greatly increase those load times. (Not a good thing to have in a Ladder race).

Personally, I can do a full load in about 30 seconds.

Core I5-4570/8GB ram/Samsung EVO SSD.

great post. i had no idea it was doing that. thx for the information. now we can atleast choose which option we prefer.
In the matter i had this bug once, the game loade in in 3 seconds, BUT it had absolutly no sound, i think someone should look around this, i dont have time atm to do anything whit it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info