How We're Developing Our Next Expansion Differently

Looking forward to an Atlas rework. I've hated the current version since launch. The bosses are awesome. But the Atlas itself...
Noiice!
Maybe rather to keep adding tedious new game mechanics to the great game that it is, bring more maps and content. I mean a new player have so many mechanics to learn that it is already overwhelming.

It might be that is made so that it would skim off casual player but then again it would bring more players in the long run.

Bringing new skill mechanics is fine, it brings versatility to the game and more flavors, but game mechanics like Heist and such it a learning curve and even more so that Heist as also their own items, so then again more loot more trade.

Speaking of the trade; It would be nice as well to maybe fix or change the trading as it is tedious at best with trade bots and those that trade just to flip items. Maybe like a number of max trade per day would be nice for other players that actually want to trade for keeping the items for their builds, making the trade easier not harder as another hard mechanic to the game ...

I love the game but already last Harvest league was long to learn between garden set up / running or buying seeds / then get random results was totally a put off. I personally tried Heist and when I saw that I got one shot from mobs behind doors and their was no chance to do this heists, and I am not speaking of the other bugs that came with, then I moved on.

I think that everyone is very exited to see POE 2.0 coming so it might be best to polish that game and bring the best of it with the up coming of 2.0 rather than to add sluggish/heavy game mechanics that may make the game less attractive to existing and new players.

Food for thoughts :)
Is it weird I am really enjoying Heist?

I really think it's just the bugs but I love the mechanic. I think the concept is cool, the drops are fun and the voice acting is superb. Maybe I'm just a sucker for being sneaky!
"
Crook1d wrote:
Is it weird I am really enjoying Heist?

I really think it's just the bugs but I love the mechanic. I think the concept is cool, the drops are fun and the voice acting is superb. Maybe I'm just a sucker for being sneaky!

well u have 3 challenges so u didnt play that much
i did 750 heists and i really dont like wait doors... the only good heists are lockpick and maybe deception (cause need gianna revelations, and drop same stacked decks) the rest is bad u can get a 5ex 15% str belt in a jewellry box but i opened more then 500 chests and never see one (a 5% str gloves is expensive too but all the armor loot is bad)
a grand heist cost 14+ revelations and 50k marks take a lot of heists to farm that so u just keep doing useless heists to get revelations or u can be rich buy a 90ex trinket and keep buying a 5ex beast to duplicate a 17 currency chest grand heist

edit:oh the trinket is 61 now https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Heist/b8kje32tL
Last edited by Mokurp on Oct 23, 2020, 4:22:56 PM
Yeah well my post got deleted somehow...

My general philosophy was to just hoard exalts to buy a HH in standard, but I just cannot see them to drop.

The trinkets that print exalts out of regals are sky high stupid expensive and only worth if you print 15-17 currency grand heists.

To sum it up :

1 . The atlas doesn't give much , maybe I am unlucky but my maps drops are very poor and I still haven't been able to defeat Sirus.
2 . The masters are usually a RNG pinata .
3 . Harvest doesn't exist anymore to feel rewarded for actually investing time/currency into the game / atlas.
4 . Heists are bonkers, since you can always die from something you don't see , lose your loot and cry.
5 . Grand Heists are only worth with currencies trinket and heavy investment in beasts splitting and so on.

I don't mind though, usually I don't play a league to leave it with 5000 exalts, but I just cannot progress gear wise because everything is damn expensive and I have to work double shifts on the chaos recipe.
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.
"
ACGIFT wrote:
"
TehBoneKing wrote:
To poke at all the nerds who would complain about bugs in your content. i would just like to remind everyone that in the beginning game releases were 100% completely flawless. games like loz ocarina of time have ZERO bugs that could be exploited and every playthrough takes EXATLY as long as the developers intended. now that being said the crashes this league have been brutal, though they have gotten better, first impressions hurt.

As a dabbling speedrunner myself, (I can pull off most of the tricks, though my PBs are far, far from any WR) I've a counterpoint: there's a number of reasons why the definitive editions of games used for a lot of speedruns are the original 1.0 releases, often only in Japan. Besides the (often shorter) text sequences, a big thing in many of them is that... Most of those "exploits and bugs" only actually existed for a brief period before being patched, and never made it to the USA.

A good example would be the third Zelda game, "A Link to the Past." (one I'm much more familiar & versed with) The game has a huge list of potential exploits that were not discovered by the public until years after they were patched out by Nintendo. Highly popular tricks like Superspeed, Spindashing/Itemdashing, fake flippers, item-pushing (e.g, mirror deletion) and the like only ever exist in the original Japanese 1.0 release of the game; by the time the game came overseas, they'd been patched out, even though no player would realize they had existed at all for years.

Another example (on the N64) is arguably most iconic speedrunning glitch of them all, Super Mario 64's Backwards Long Jump. (BLJ) It didn't appear to get discovered by the public until around 1998 or 1999, when it was already patched out of the game by the "Shindou edition" of the game released in Japan in 1997. (for those wondering, it is this "Shindou Edition" that is the basis for the version of SM64 included with the recently-released "Super Mario 3D All-Stars" pack)

Even for those that bugs that weren't patched out, these are things that only showed up years later, as a result of speedrunners experimenting and trying to find exploits.

This is a huge contrast from game-breaking bugs that make the game unplayable for players who aren't even doing anything out of the ordinary. Your attempt to equate them to justify GGG's lax attitude towards testing is kinda laughable with how bad a "False equivalence" argument you have here. PoE's bugs aren't equivalent to "crazy, extreme exploits that required years to find (and were often initially thought to be impossible outside of TAS)" but more akin to just random softlocks.

Notice that those celebrated speedrunning games kinda lack random softlocks if you're playing the game as intended. Meanwhile in PoE, we all have experiences with bugs, crashes, etc. that have all stolen progress or prevented it. So anything to try to justify that is tantamount to gaslighting.

You got this one, ACGIFT. Clearly you know your shit on the topic. Kudos.

The fact that this person said 'in the beginning' and then used Ocarina of freakin' Time as an example of 'games in the beginning' tells you everything you need to know about this argument. People have been speed-running games since the late 80s, possibly even earlier. If anything, in the beginning, it was all about exploiting bugs, shortcuts and glitches to elongate the life of otherwise very simple games. One need look no further than a fairly sparse Netflix docco on the topic to see this.

If anything, when you get games like PoE trying to make 'speedruns' a thing, deliberately, that's when a lot of the magic is lost. But that's one of PoE's biggest sins imo -- deliberately trying to recreate situations and sensations from hit games that were largely coincidental or organic. The artifice is hard to ignore sometimes.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
The long term health of the team and the game is what matters. Hope this new schedule allows you guys to develop content with reduced stress.
havent been playing that much since the slayer & baronmancer nerfed and already uninstalled the game since the necro nerfed, but still on a typical lousy day i'd pop by here to read those rage comments in expansion patch note t to light up my mood. This kind of "sorry guys we fxxk it up" post is definitely a bonus to get some good LOLs :)
Last edited by nickwch on Oct 24, 2020, 12:19:26 PM
Sounds interesting ;-)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info