gold? money? currency?

"
Kasmos wrote:
"
Sickness wrote:
"
Kasmos wrote:

Your post history doesn't show that.

Not if you go back abit. I had not tested D3 before the OB weekend and I had very low expectations considering the utter fiasco SC2 and WoW are to me.

So, you're saying you didn't start talking up the sham of a game that is Diablo 3 and talking down PoE until you played the D3 beta?

No, I am saying that regardless of D3, I think it's a bad idea not to have a proper currency in PoE.
"
Sickness wrote:
No, I am saying that regardless of D3, I think it's a bad idea not to have a proper currency in PoE.

And why is it not a "proper" currency? It's items, that have varying value, that are used to barter and trade. How is that not proper?
"
Kasmos wrote:
"
Sickness wrote:

And why is it not a "proper" currency? It's items, that have varying value, that are used to barter and trade. How is that not proper?

Google "barter vs monetary system".
"
Kasmos wrote:
"
Sickness wrote:

You can't really discuss with him; he is stubbornly insisting on a "real" currency being superior to anything that is different to the norm.
"
mOr5 wrote:
"
Kasmos wrote:
"
Sickness wrote:

You can't really discuss with him; he is stubbornly insisting on a "real" currency being superior to anything that is different to the norm.

Or, I don't know, perhaps there is just a severe lack of compelling arguments for a bartering system?

But I'm sure that you know something that I, and every basicly every civilization that has ever existed, have missed.
Hey, I got a great idea. No gold, no money, how about KIWI'S? Aren't they native to an "island" and we're all characters shipwrecked on another "island"? 50 Kiwis for an Orb of Mayhem, whatever. I like it!
-Z
See here's the issue you define "currency" as gold or at least you seem to be. We do in fact have a "currency" which is the orbs, scrolls, and shit which is in fact mixed with a bartering system.

cur·ren·cy
a : something (as coins, treasury notes, and banknotes) that is in circulation as a medium of exchange
b : paper money in circulation
c : a common article for bartering
d : a medium of verbal or intellectual expression
(here's the link http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/currency)

So by this definition the said orbs and other shit meet definitions a and c. Now to say that gold is a non-bartering system is rather silly because it is a "common article used for bartering"

bar·ter
intransitive verb
: to trade by exchanging one commodity for another
(again here's the link http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bartering)

When gold, orbs, or other shit are used to get another item that is the very definition of bartering. You are exchanging one commodity for another. Now admittedly this does depend on which definition of commodity you wish to use, I am using the one below because; Gold, Orbs, and the shit are in fact useful or valued if they were not they would not be traded for.

com·mod·i·ty
a : something useful or valued
(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/commodity)

Also I hate to break it to you but cultures and civilizations across time have used other things as currency. Anything from shells to chickens have been used, to narrowly define "currency" as gold just shows how narrow minded an individual is.

Edit: Yes I know lots of text and stuff to read so if TL;DR then that's just a silly way to argue anything anyways.
Edit2: This does mean that one could use anything tangible as a "currency" whether or not other parties involved in the trade agree to said items value is completely up to them. What is valuable and useful to one may not be valuable or useful to another.
Beyond_Bow_BobMKIII Level 80 Tornado Shot Scion
Last edited by Zeshin on Apr 27, 2012, 7:38:03 PM
"
Sickness wrote:

Or, I don't know, perhaps there is just a severe lack of compelling arguments for a bartering system?

But I'm sure that you know something that I, and every basicly every civilization that has ever existed, have missed.

I agree if it has been replaced in the real world with money we should do it in the game as well. That's why I also think we should replace every weapon with some kind of gun. Who uses clubs and staves anymore? Their so impractical. There's a reason why people don't wear plate mail and carry swords around. They are outdated relics that aren't used in the real world and should be thrown out of POE as well.
"
Zeshin wrote:
See here's the issue you define "currency" as gold or at least you seem to be. We do in fact have a "currency" which is the orbs, scrolls, and shit which is in fact mixed with a bartering system.

cur·ren·cy
a : something (as coins, treasury notes, and banknotes) that is in circulation as a medium of exchange
b : paper money in circulation
c : a common article for bartering
d : a medium of verbal or intellectual expression
(here's the link http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/currency)

So by this definition the said orbs and other shit meet definitions a and c. Now to say that gold is a non-bartering system is rather silly because it is a "common article used for bartering"

bar·ter
intransitive verb
: to trade by exchanging one commodity for another
(again here's the link http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bartering)

When gold, orbs, or other shit are used to get another item that is the very definition of bartering. You are exchanging one commodity for another. Now admittedly this does depend on which definition of commodity you wish to use, I am using the one below because; Gold, Orbs, and the shit are in fact useful or valued if they were not they would not be traded for.

com·mod·i·ty
a : something useful or valued
(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/commodity)

Also I hate to break it to you but cultures and civilizations across time have used other things as currency. Anything from shells to chickens have been used, to narrowly define "currency" as gold just shows how narrow minded an individual is.

Edit: Yes I know lots of text and stuff to read so if TL;DR then that's just a silly way to argue anything anyways.
Edit2: This does mean that one could use anything tangible as a "currency" whether or not other parties involved in the trade agree to said items value is completely up to them. What is valuable and useful to one may not be valuable or useful to another.

*Applauds!*

The only thing missing is the distinction between "currency" (for which you have provided documentation of a definition) and "money" (another, similar and related thing which people also often fail to understand). However, for purposes of PoE's in-game economy, "money" (which is what gold actually serves as in any real-world economy which uses it) isn't necessary. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
The PoE economy can be seen as either a bartering system or a multi-currency system.
None of them are in any way superior to a uniforum currency system.

The fact that some people used shells as "money" only strengthens my point.

If you are confused by the word bartering, here is some help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barter

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info