[3.13] Lancing Steel Deadeye/Raider | Very Fun Playstyle | 4-50M DPS Easy Gearing Path

how much to get it going?
Tree looks suboptimal, skipping out on too much damage for meager HP gains.
"
how much to get it going?

Almost nothing. Beltimber Blade is really the only thing you need to make it feel good and that's going for 3c right now.

"
Tree looks suboptimal, skipping out on too much damage for meager HP gains.

Feel free to make suggestions, but I find that damage is not this build's problem; avoiding one-shots is. Bossing speed is very comfortable at awakener 8 (I'd say well above average but not god-tier). Clear speed is excellent. You could drop 15% of your life for another 30% more damage, but from somebody playing it, that's not the direction I'd want to go.
Well there's 4 perfectly good health+evasion nodes right at the start of ranger tree that you don't take, and you instead extend up to Blood Drinker for less life gain per point and a useless amount of life leech, along with a useless frenzy charge node you already have access to elsewhere.

Also the Mark nodes you take are extremely point inefficient and if you wanted the culling strike from Marked for Death you could easily just tie a Culling Strike gem to whirling blades/leap slam along with faster attacks.

You should also get Versatile Stance since it's in range of your Thread of Hope jewel and you're using Flesh & Stone.

There's a lot of other changes I made to the tree you can see here: https://pastebin.com/SRD57jyH

Essentially you only lose 9% HP in tree for a lot more damage, attack speed, evasion, block chance, etc. that contribute much more to survivability, with the option to get Onslaught on kill from Graceful Assault as well.
@FruitPeddler thanks for looking at the tree.

I actually went a different way with it a few days ago and have been meaning to update. The new trees linked in the OP (https://pastebin.com/waetqXLU) have similar damage numbers to yours and actually gain slightly more life than my original.

As for some of your suggestions:

• Mark the Prey is definitely useless. I was taking it mainly for the -accuracy to enemies leading up to it, but it's insignificant.
  • Disagree about Marked for Death though. Having it on the main attack just feels way better with how fast lancing steel hits and the alternatives for these points don't give a huge amount of extra DPS.
  • Attack speed is actually significantly worse than it seems with this build as call of steel does not seem to benefit from it. I actually consciously avoid attack speed options that give more DPS on paper in some cases.

check out this pob, might give you some ideas - https://pastebin.com/YD3Tp4rt
Curious, should i go for the gem links in original post? or in the POB?
Does *Splitting* steel work for clearing, then swap to lancing for bosses?

Do you need to be hugging the boss to get all shards to hit?

in POB Raider seems higher DPS than Deadeye, but you're saying that the Deadeye build kills faster, whats the limiting factor?

Does this hit and crit fast enough that Surgeon's on flasks will regen really quick?
Last edited by sasparillatango on Oct 8, 2020, 5:15:27 PM
"
agm_ultimatex wrote:
Curious, should i go for the gem links in original post? or in the POB?

The gem links in the original post are the highest DPS I believe. The DPS is high enough that you can play around with whatever gems work and it should still feel smooth.

"
Does *Splitting* steel work for clearing, then swap to lancing for bosses?

Do you need to be hugging the boss to get all shards to hit?

in POB Raider seems higher DPS than Deadeye, but you're saying that the Deadeye build kills faster, whats the limiting factor?

Does this hit and crit fast enough that Surgeon's on flasks will regen really quick?

I'd say splitting steel is only marginally better feeling for clearing because the DPS is so much lower when you need to take out a beefy rare. I've tried switching back and forth and honestly splitting just doesn't feel better enough to bother with. However, my character has over 10mil DPS in PoB right now and lancing steel melts everything but unique/bosses almost instantly so YMMV.

Lancing steel shards aim at the nearest target up to a certain distance (about to the edge of the screen). As long as you're within this aiming distance, all the shards will always hit. It will spread out among multiple targets when they are all nearby.

Caveat: I haven't tried Raider again for a while since switching; I will give it a shot again and see how it feels. Call of Steel is the limiting factor. A huge amount of your DPS (2/3 of it) is from consuming steel shards. This means that you need to call every 3 shots and attack speed does not seem to have any effect on call (could be wrong?). My feeling is that "slow" hard attacks just feel a lot better than faster weaker hits. Not like either is particularly slow.

As for critting fast enough, it seems like each burst either crits or doesn't, so the crits are a little uneven. Since there's a cooldown on surgeon's, I'd only expect to get a couple ticks on it per burst. I'm not really sure how to test this effectively honestly. It would be interesting to know exactly how crits work.

However, the build does hit something like over 100 times/second when you've got everything going and my PoB crit rate is about 80%.
I've swapped my ranger over to try out lancing steel, but man I feel squishy. A good chunk of that might just be getting a little more practice with the flow of the build since I didn't level just swapped over from another build.

"
As for critting fast enough, it seems like each burst either crits or doesn't, so the crits are a little uneven. Since there's a cooldown on surgeon's, I'd only expect to get a couple ticks on it per burst. I'm not really sure how to test this effectively honestly. It would be interesting to know exactly how crits work.

I've heard that boss abilities that have multiple projectiles which makes the Eater of Souls Divine vessel really strong, all crit or all don't so I would bet that player abilities behave similarly.
Last edited by sasparillatango on Oct 8, 2020, 10:52:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info