Floating combat text

Small crit, less blood being spilled, big crits, blood everywhere.
Fun idea, but still not readable enough to warrant the complete absence of a numbr system.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on May 1, 2012, 5:48:54 PM
We don't need a number system though, just good visual feedback.
Tagek: correct. For an old RPG nerd like me, higher numbers (not necessarily bigger or larger) are like the pot of gold at the end of a violent rainbow. We level up, gear up, run around in circles doing the same old shit...and for what? Higher numbers. I want to SEE them. I want to see when I've landed a ridiculously high number, or when one hits me. I want to enjoy the extreme highs and lows of PoE's damage system.

There's already a graphical representation of a critical hit, xxnoob. I thought this was already known. It's very cool but it's not...critical to me. Besides, even more graphical representations would get very complicated: there are more crits than just melee. How would you represent a fire crit? An ice? And so on. A simple floating number system would cater to all comers, and for the last time, if it can be turned off completely, the game hasn't changed for anyone who doesn't want it. Heck, have it 'off' as default for all I care.

Another reason I'd like to see it is that this would be the perfect opportunity for GGG to acknowledge the Final Fantasy inspiration in this game. It's not obvious if you haven't played FFVII or FFX, and if you have, it's the first thing you see. And I say inspiration, not theft or copying. GGG have implemented two very different FF systems in an elegant (if not yet complete) way that I can only admire in its ingenious functionality. Floating numbers would say to the knowing, the veteran, the core audience of this game: yeah, we took an idea from FF, but we love it too. We share your lingering desire to see those delicious 9999s floating around.

...I wasn't that interested in it until someone brought it up, and now I see how wonderful I think it would be, as an option, to have it in there.

And I think that were the game not server-only and more conducive to mods, it'd be one of the first things a player would mod in there. Probably because I'd be willing to pay for it. ;)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on May 1, 2012, 5:54:51 PM
I do notice the critical hits, as a ranger I am satisfied with the effects, I can definitely see the punch of my arrows.
"
xxnoob wrote:
I do notice the critical hits, as a ranger I am satisfied with the effects, I can definitely see the punch of my arrows.

You only play one class? This explains a lot regarding what I am perceiving as a slight case of myopia...
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I don't play at all.
Charan ~.~ floating dmg text it's something u expect to see on a mmorpg D1&2 didn't have anything like that so why u suddenly find the idea attractive? isn't it better if GGG add various different killing animations for crits depending what wpn/spell/skill u were using when the crit occur? we just need dmg logs on chat window that is enough, if GGG ad floating dmg text the game will surely start to look like something else, and I dont want that to happen, PoE as it is have a retro character dont spoil it with mainstream bullshits.
"
rpgmaniac wrote:
Charan ~.~ floating dmg text it's something u expect to see on a mmorpg D1&2 didn't have anything like that so why u suddenly find the idea attractive? isn't it better if GGG add various different killing animations for crits depending what wpn/spell/skill u were using when the crit occur? we just need dmg logs on chat window that is enough, if GGG ad floating dmg text the game will surely start to look like something else, and I dont want that to happen, PoE as it is have a retro character dont spoil it with mainstream bullshits.

You are being completely ignorant and arrogant on the matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcUyZ-nKGcM

Titan Quest has Floating Damage Text, which can be turned on or off based on what you enjoy. The fact it has them does not make it any less of what it is, an ARPG.

Putting FDT in Path of Exile is not going to magically turn it from being an ARPG into a MMORPG or any other genre for that matter. The shear thought of such is absurd.

The fact remains, they are asking for a toggle-able option. In which case, if implemented you are arguing against a feature that does not effect you. If you don't want to see FDT, turn it off.

The fact you are even arguing against it is doing nothing but make you look like an imbecile.

"
xendhaius wrote:
The fact you are even arguing against it is doing nothing but make you look like an imbecile.
Other people hold the same opinions, you know. Every game has an "image" which greatly affects the types of people it attracts. rpgmaniac doesn't think floating numbers fits into PoE's image. That doesn't make him ignorant, arrogant, or an imbecile.

On the publicity side of the argument, floating numbers in screenshots/videos may actually drive away some potential players -- look at how many people state a dislike of D3 just because of its graphical style, without even playing the game. Will more players decide against playing PoE if the game doesn't have floating numbers?

This is the type of decision game developers make every day: "Does this fit into the game we're designing?" There are plenty of things that get opted against based on aesthetics. Floating numbers may very well be one of them.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on May 1, 2012, 8:24:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info