Floating combat text

Well, people did wish D3 looked something as drab and brown and grey a palette as this, so of course they wish this is D3. Go back to D3 trolls.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"
xxnoob wrote:
I don't think this is necessary. If your enemies aren't being killed in one shot, you're doing something wrong!

As an altoholic and chronic sub-optimal builder, I take very gentle offence at that. Different =/= wrong.

Regarding this idea: I'd like to see floating crits as an option. A lot of people I've talked to don't notice the graphical distortion effect of a crit...

edit:D3 did not invent and does not own the floating number system for damage/healing, and you darn well know it, xxnoob.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 30, 2012, 6:07:28 PM
"
"
xxnoob wrote:
I don't think this is necessary. If your enemies aren't being killed in one shot, you're doing something wrong!

As an altoholic and chronic sub-optimal builder, I take very gentle offence at that. Different =/= wrong.

Regarding this idea: I'd like to see floating crits as an option. A lot of people I've talked to don't notice the graphical distortion effect of a crit...

edit:D3 did not invent and does not own the floating number system for damage/healing, and you darn well know it, xxnoob.

Of course it didn't invent it, but it sure is the first Diablo or Diablo clone game I saw using floating combat text. Not that I have played every single one of them.
I really cant see how do you people connect my floating combat text question with it being a some kind of D3 ripoff. First of all D3 isnt the first ARPG that has fct and i see ur connecting it even with fanboys'm , seems to me like ur preocupied with this d3.

Anyways i dont think FCT being implemented as an optional thing can hurt someone , i think it can only please us the fans. I dont think it will be alot of work to implement so im really looking forward to this.

P.S : I would be really happy with crit only FCT as someone mentioned earlier.

cheers
𝑺𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒔𝒂𝒏𝒆 𝒆𝒙𝒊𝒍𝒆 ?
i dont think it would hurt anything, granted i havent played the game yet, but everyone likes seeing big numbers :).
"
xxnoob wrote:
"
"
xxnoob wrote:

Of course it didn't invent it, but it sure is the first Diablo or Diablo clone game I saw using floating combat text. Not that I have played every single one of them.

Titan Quest
Torchlight 1 & 2
Divine Divinity/Divinity II: Ego Draconis (I dont recall Beyond Divinity having it or not)

All had floating combat text. Titan Quest being the gem as it was toggle-able.

As for my take on it, I would not personally use it. However, as a toggle-able option, you appease both crowds. Win-Win for everyone.
Last edited by xendhaius on Apr 30, 2012, 11:58:00 PM
"
xendhaius wrote:
as a toggle-able option, you appease both crowds. Win-Win for everyone.

^
There we have it then.

Three options: off, criticals only, all.

Please, GGG? We love you. You know we do.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I have over two hundred hours playing Path of Exile without that floating combat text (fct). It never even crossed my mind that it was "missing". Games with fct tend to feel more arcade style, like Diablo 3 with its artsy graphics. I'm able to submerge myself into Path of Exile with realistic graphics and without distracting text.

Kind of like the differences between Counter Strike and Call of Duty multiplayer. I prefer an unforgiving game with no fct and no instant gratification; having been a Counter Strike addict. However as others have said, it wouldn't hurt to cater to both audiences and add an option in the menu for it.
"It's a harsh, difficult world. You have to be prepared for it. We're not babying the players."
- Chris Wilson - Producer, Lead Designer @ Grinding Gear Games
Keep apart your average MMO'ling crap feature touching to PoE.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info