[3.13] Contagious Burning Discharge - Chieftain/Jugg | Budget to wild - League start friendly

"
Irongunner wrote:
Which of the following passives would you recommend on a medium cluster jewel in addition to Blowback?

Cooked Alive
Wasting Affliction
Burning Bright
Circling Oblivion
Master of Fire

Wasting affliction is highest dps by a pretty wide margin, next would be cooked alive.

Circling oblivion bumps up your ignite duration to like 6.5 sec so more total damage and more free time to run around between ignites.

Master of fire is good for bosses you don't want to get hit by to trigger WoC but otherwise doesn't offer anything the build doesn't already do.
Love the build so far. Any suggestion for future progression for the tree after lvl 90?
Also what should i look forward to upgrade next.
Cheers
"
Warwulf wrote:
Love the build so far. Any suggestion for future progression for the tree after lvl 90?
Also what should i look forward to upgrade next.
Cheers

Fill in any fire dot small nodes then all health.

Discharge helm enchant
21/23 Discharge
Cooldown reduction on belt (shaper or craft)
Upgrade boots, pick 2 - +1 endurance charge (warlord) Faster ignites (Hunter) Cooldown reduction (shaper)

Your gear is pretty good so every upgrade is going to be minimal and expensive.
Really like the ambu interaction. Now up to 95 and a complete tank with 3.6M shaper DPS. (7M DPS for clear)

Some things I did differently that I think worked better for me that I would recommend to others:

1) Go with Replica Emberwake instead of second Kaoms. With quality and a perfect roll it has 54% faster damage which is hard to beat for scaling how fast you kill stuff. If you're worried about the 90% reduced you shouldn't be as it is easy to still get a 3sec+ burn. Here are the calculations. The opportunity cost of taking 4xBlowback cluster jewels instead of Replica Emberwake+2xCircling Oblivion+2x Other notable is not worth it:

Spoiler
Awakened unbound is 70% increased duration. Two Circling Oblivion medium cluster jewels is another 50% increased duration. Flammability gives another 10% increased (4% against Shaper due to curse effectiveness). From that alone you're sitting at -90+70+50+4=+34% increased duration for shaper target.

Assume you have 75% faster burn (54% ring, 11% awakened deadly, 10% from holy fire cluster).

Final burn time = 5seconds*1.34/1.75=3.06seconds.

It is very easy to recast discharge every 2-3 seconds.

2) The default build can kill itself. If you go up against a tanky group of mobs such as 100% delerium map the CWDT loop can kill yourself. I solved this by stacking more tankiness with 85% chaos res and it stopped being an issue. If you can get the chaos res on your cluster jewels + Glorious vanity + 8% Phys->Fire helmet like I did below. I stacked max chaos res to 85% (1% from implicit on gloves, 1% from glorious vanity passive, 5% from glorious vanity Xibaqua, 3% from born of chaos). This protects you both against physical damage (18% of it is going to fire resistance and 50% of that is going to chaos resistance) and elemental (50% of it is going to chaos resistance).

3) If you can get an open prefix on your gloves you can craft +1 AOE gems and squeeze a little more out of skitterbots/malevolence. I used to have it, but I needed the crafted dex/int to free up passive points.

4) This build is REALLY weak against single targets like Sirus where you can't easily generate charges on your own. I HIGHLY recommend using a skill for generating charges on your own. The way I did it was put a leveled Armageddon brand in my CWDT link setup. This lets me self-cast it (or precast it before battle starts) to quickly generate charges against a single target where your loop might not be going off. If you put it in the same 6link as your curse it also lets you curse effectively against targets where you aren't getting hit on (e.g. Sirus). This also lets you reliably trigger EO against those single targets and lets you drop orb of storms altogether.

5) As far as annoint goes, PoB it. When I was lower in gear Burning Brutality was better. When I geared up majorly, Vigour became a lot better.

I tried a Kaom version of this as well with the Inexorable node. It didn't work very well. Long story short, recommend Replica Ambu.

And here is my equipment. Note this is probably top of the line gear. I picked up the staff tonight and dropped my searing touch. Only real upgrade left is picking up a good three passive megalomaniac:

Last edited by Aschere on Oct 16, 2020, 5:57:20 AM
I have a roommate who started POE this week. I helped him to get a LL Bane Occultist.

When he plays, we play together. So I started a Ice Crash build with a focus on stuns so that he doesn't die. Leapslam with aoe + some stun impovements.

He survives now but he does get hit by projectiles and such. I would like to build a discharge character and share my Endurance Charges.

I want him to have reserve mana and life + Dual OR Triple Curse,

Discipline, Malevolence, Despair ,Elemental Weakness OR Flammability and Skitterbots.

I'm trying to fit this.

Should I take Anger and Herald of Ash?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
can someone look at my profile and tell me what my discharge-chief is missing?
"
Aschere wrote:
Really like the ambu interaction. Now up to 95 and a complete tank with 3.6M shaper DPS. (7M DPS for clear)

Some things I did differently that I think worked better for me that I would recommend to others:

1) Go with Replica Emberwake instead of second Kaoms. With quality and a perfect roll it has 54% faster damage which is hard to beat for scaling how fast you kill stuff. If you're worried about the 90% reduced you shouldn't be as it is easy to still get a 3sec+ burn. Here are the calculations. The opportunity cost of taking 4xBlowback cluster jewels instead of Replica Emberwake+2xCircling Oblivion+2x Other notable is not worth it:

Spoiler
Awakened unbound is 70% increased duration. Two Circling Oblivion medium cluster jewels is another 50% increased duration. Flammability gives another 10% increased (4% against Shaper due to curse effectiveness). From that alone you're sitting at -90+70+50+4=+34% increased duration for shaper target.

Assume you have 75% faster burn (54% ring, 11% awakened deadly, 10% from holy fire cluster).

2) The default build can kill itself. If you go up against a tanky group of mobs such as 100% delerium map the CWDT loop can kill yourself. I solved this by stacking more tankiness with 85% chaos res and it stopped being an issue. If you can get the chaos res on your cluster jewels + Glorious vanity + 8% Phys->Fire helmet like I did below. I stacked max chaos res to 85% (1% from implicit on gloves, 1% from glorious vanity passive, 5% from glorious vanity Xibaqua, 3% from born of chaos). This protects you both against physical damage (18% of it is going to fire resistance and 50% of that is going to chaos resistance) and elemental (50% of it is going to chaos resistance).

3) If you can get an open prefix on your gloves you can craft +1 AOE gems and squeeze a little more out of skitterbots/malevolence. I used to have it, but I needed the crafted dex/int to free up passive points.

4) This build is REALLY weak against single targets like Sirus where you can't easily generate charges on your own. I HIGHLY recommend using a skill for generating charges on your own. The way I did it was put a leveled Armageddon brand in my CWDT link setup. This lets me self-cast it (or precast it before battle starts) to quickly generate charges against a single target where your loop might not be going off. If you put it in the same 6link as your curse it also lets you curse effectively against targets where you aren't getting hit on (e.g. Sirus). This also lets you reliably trigger EO against those single targets and lets you drop orb of storms altogether.

5) As far as annoint goes, PoB it. When I was lower in gear Burning Brutality was better. When I geared up majorly, Vigour became a lot better.

I tried a Kaom version of this as well with the Inexorable node. It didn't work very well. Long story short, recommend Replica Ambu.

And here is my equipment. Note this is probably top of the line gear. I picked up the staff tonight and dropped my searing touch. Only real upgrade left is picking up a good three passive megalomaniac:

I'm trying with a replica Emberwake and bought awakened unbound. How would you suggest I continue if I want to try your take on it? Start with clusters now? Or change boots and helm?
"
Emxper wrote:
"
Aschere wrote:

Spoiler

I'm trying with a replica Emberwake and bought awakened unbound. How would you suggest I continue if I want to try your take on it? Start with clusters now? Or change boots and helm?

I'd recommend clusters first as they really get the build going. Honestly a good pair of resists on helmet/boots will go a long way. Endurance boots are an enormous boost, but can be hard to land a good pair for cheap - more of an investment if you want to stick with build. Helmet crafting is more for added survivability against physical (craft costs 1ex, plus you probably need to craft helmet) and something i'd get later.

I'd take +30 int/dex passives until you have it on your gear (or min-max later).

I'd prioritize the following:
- Quality up the emberwake. It's only beneficial.
- 20/20 anomalous discharge.
- Mediocre large jewels with at least two passives. It's cheap and will get you started.
- One or two small cluster with Blessed. This is super cheap and will help with chaos res. Fettle jewels are better if you can manage to cap the chaos res, but Blessed is a good cheap entry level. It'll also help with mana.
- One or two medium cluster jewels with Circling Oblivion. I prefer Flow of Life as second item on all my mediums just because more life is preferable to damage in my opinion, but if you want more damage go with Cooked Alive (or Student of Decay for Chaos res).
- If only running one Circling Oblivion path into Breath of Flames section of the tree as it will give you more duration. This is particularly good early on before you have the intelligence or cluster jewels. I dropped it as soon as I had the better cluster jewels. With either two circling oblivion or one circling oblivion + breath of flames, duration shouldn't feel like a problem at all.
- Glorious Vanity if you have the chaos res. It's huge for defense.
- One medium cluster with Student of Decay to further help with chaos res. Again, recommend second passive being Flow of Life. If not going chaos route then go with Cooked Alive.
- If going chaos route, a good megalomaniac with Born of Chaos is great if you can find one with at least one other useful passive (Flow of Life, Student of Decay, Circling Oblivion, Blessed, Fettle, Cooked Alive, Burning Bright, etc). I got ridiculously lucky and bought this:

- Upgrade to three passive large cluster. Disorienting display is a highly valuable suffix that people undervalue and usually fetches a far cheaper price. It's better than it appears. If you have two of them and are flame dashing, everything is perma-blinded. It also activates as a duration based AOE debuff that travels with you so that as you walk into a pack they become blinded even if you cast it a while ago. Blind is also REALLY good on a non-evasion non-unwavering character (50% reduction in hits).
- 21/20 anomolous discharge. The alternate quality is WAY better for self-cast. The cast speed is absolutely enormous quality of life (and my one complaint about this build is accidentally animation cancelling the cast and having it go on cooldown - cast speed helps prevent this).
- Endurance charge boots. This is where the build starts getting expensive. You will likely need to recraft other gear slots to balance resists as you will probably get whatever you can.
- Buy a helmet with enchant and essence or fossil craft for some good life/resists. Essences are dirt cheap this league, shouldn't be too expensive. Try for open prefix for crafting Phys->Fire mod.
- Either buy or Chaos res essence craft gloves and or belt looking for good res/life. Attibutes on gloves are good too. Try for an open prefix for crafting +AOE mod. You should use this to balance the rest of the gear (since you have less flexibility on helm/boots). If crafting belt, quality it with resists before crafting and aim for one open suffix (for chaos/cold res or chaos/lightning res).
- Malevolence DOT multi watcher's eye.
- +2 AOE chest if you can manage to find or corrupt one. Without the chestpiece enders is probably better. With the chestpiece searing touch is better. POB it if unsure. I threw a whole lot of them into corruption chambers and never got one. Ended up lucky and snagging one on the market for cheap.
- Staff upgrade to +3 from Searing Touch/Enders. Note that this is VERY expensive. It needs to have both a high DOT multi and % fire damage otherwise its probably not going to outperform. +flat fire to spells isn't very good and although often 20+ex they are often worse than a searing touch.

Focus on +all attributes, +int/dex, +chaos res, or +cold/light/ele res on clusters to fill in gaps. You are int and dex starved with this build so every bit helps.
Last edited by Aschere on Oct 19, 2020, 7:17:12 PM
"
Samedium wrote:
can someone look at my profile and tell me what my discharge-chief is missing?

Hey Dude,

I bet your biggest issue you are having is with charge generations and staying alive.

It is super important to max your endurance charge as soon as you use them because this gives you physical damage reduction (SUPER IMPORTANT) and it gives you insane regeneration probably about 1500-2k when at max endurance. It will also give you elemental resistance too if you need it.

You are going want to pick up an eye of innocence. This is going to damage you when you damage enemies. So when you discharge and hit anything it will proc other skills and passive. What you are looking to do is gain an endurance charge when you are hit. A cheap option to accomplish this is replica Ambu's charge. This may be even better then getting a crafted vest with endurance charge gain on hit. But this is not enough to keep your endurance charge up. I would also recommend taking enduring composure, maybe even 2 of them (i plan to test this out). This way when ever you hit an enemy you will gain 3 endurance charge every second you hit something. I pretty much have at least 5-6 endurance charge ALL the time.

There is another thing to look at, there is a buff from using enduring cry that last like ~3secondish depending on your skills. I strongly recommend looking on the tree/gear for ways to increase the duration or lower the cool down to make sure you can keep casting enduring cry when it comes up.

I recommend changing your helm to Hrimnor's Resolve Samite Helmet and your weapon/shield to Searing Touch. This will increase your damage quite a bit. I also recommend getting rid of the skills going up to elemental equilibrium. This really isnt needed with the curse and wave of conviction firing off and the gems that are already debuffing them. It's a waste of 5 or 6 skill points.

I hope this helps what you were looking for. There's some other things you can do but I think this should solve a lot of your problems that I see you maybe having.

Last edited by Pillsbury on Oct 20, 2020, 10:07:32 AM
"
Aschere wrote:

I'd recommend clusters first as they really get the build going. Honestly a good pair of resists on helmet/boots will go a long way. Endurance boots are an enormous boost, but can be hard to land a good pair for cheap - more of an investment if you want to stick with build. Helmet crafting is more for added survivability against physical (craft costs 1ex, plus you probably need to craft helmet) and something i'd get later.

I'd take +30 int/dex passives until you have it on your gear (or min-max later).

I'd prioritize the following:
- Quality up the emberwake. It's only beneficial.
- 20/20 anomalous discharge.
- Mediocre large jewels with at least two passives. It's cheap and will get you started.
- One or two small cluster with Blessed. This is super cheap and will help with chaos res. Fettle jewels are better if you can manage to cap the chaos res, but Blessed is a good cheap entry level. It'll also help with mana.
- One or two medium cluster jewels with Circling Oblivion. I prefer Flow of Life as second item on all my mediums just because more life is preferable to damage in my opinion, but if you want more damage go with Cooked Alive (or Student of Decay for Chaos res).
- If only running one Circling Oblivion path into Breath of Flames section of the tree as it will give you more duration. This is particularly good early on before you have the intelligence or cluster jewels. I dropped it as soon as I had the better cluster jewels. With either two circling oblivion or one circling oblivion + breath of flames, duration shouldn't feel like a problem at all.
- Glorious Vanity if you have the chaos res. It's huge for defense.
- One medium cluster with Student of Decay to further help with chaos res. Again, recommend second passive being Flow of Life. If not going chaos route then go with Cooked Alive.
- If going chaos route, a good megalomaniac with Born of Chaos is great if you can find one with at least one other useful passive (Flow of Life, Student of Decay, Circling Oblivion, Blessed, Fettle, Cooked Alive, Burning Bright, etc). I got ridiculously lucky and bought this:

- Upgrade to three passive large cluster. Disorienting display is a highly valuable suffix that people undervalue and usually fetches a far cheaper price. It's better than it appears. If you have two of them and are flame dashing, everything is perma-blinded. It also activates as a duration based AOE debuff that travels with you so that as you walk into a pack they become blinded even if you cast it a while ago. Blind is also REALLY good on a non-evasion non-unwavering character (50% reduction in hits).
- 21/20 anomolous discharge. The alternate quality is WAY better for self-cast. The cast speed is absolutely enormous quality of life (and my one complaint about this build is accidentally animation cancelling the cast and having it go on cooldown - cast speed helps prevent this).
- Endurance charge boots. This is where the build starts getting expensive. You will likely need to recraft other gear slots to balance resists as you will probably get whatever you can.
- Buy a helmet with enchant and essence or fossil craft for some good life/resists. Essences are dirt cheap this league, shouldn't be too expensive. Try for open prefix for crafting Phys->Fire mod.
- Either buy or Chaos res essence craft gloves and or belt looking for good res/life. Attibutes on gloves are good too. Try for an open prefix for crafting +AOE mod. You should use this to balance the rest of the gear (since you have less flexibility on helm/boots). If crafting belt, quality it with resists before crafting and aim for one open suffix (for chaos/cold res or chaos/lightning res).
- Malevolence DOT multi watcher's eye.
- +2 AOE chest if you can manage to find or corrupt one. Without the chestpiece enders is probably better. With the chestpiece searing touch is better. POB it if unsure. I threw a whole lot of them into corruption chambers and never got one. Ended up lucky and snagging one on the market for cheap.
- Staff upgrade to +3 from Searing Touch/Enders. Note that this is VERY expensive. It needs to have both a high DOT multi and % fire damage otherwise its probably not going to outperform. +flat fire to spells isn't very good and although often 20+ex they are often worse than a searing touch.

Focus on +all attributes, +int/dex, +chaos res, or +cold/light/ele res on clusters to fill in gaps. You are int and dex starved with this build so every bit helps.

Thanks I'll try this out.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info