[3.12] Storm Brand Elementalist || Low Budget Starter || New Player Leveling Guide

Another quick question: I don't understand why the build says to look for +1 lightning skill gems on wand and shield but not body armor? It seems like either the wand or shield will have the wave of conviction debuff, which makes sense, but then the other will have the flame dash setup which doesn't benefit from +1 to lightning gems? The body armor will have the 6L storm brand setup so it would make more sense to have the +1 to gems there. Not sure if it's an error or I'm misunderstanding something. Thanks anyway!
Oops, I just realized that mod applies to all gems not just the ones on item. Ignore the above! 🤦‍♂️
Noob here. Could someone explain why you'd want Controlled Destruction Support on your main skill while also taking critical strike nodes on the tree? Thanks.
Last edited by Painkiller606 on Oct 5, 2020, 2:46:43 PM
"
Do you know if Intensify works with Storm Brand? Can't find an answer anywhere.

Don't see why it wouldn't

"
Is it normal to run out of mana with this build if you spam Storm Brand, or am I doing something wrong?

Nope, since most of the mana is reserved spamming Storm Brand will do that. You shouldn't really need to spam Storm Brand though.

"

Noob here. Could someone explain why you'd want Controlled Destruction Support on your main skill while also taking critical strike nodes on the tree? Thanks.

Fair question. At the end of the day, even though Controlled Destruction reduces crit chance, the % increase to spell damage is large enough that it still increases the DPS of the build.
"
Painkiller606 wrote:

Welcome to the game! This is a classic case of PoE's terminology not being completely intuitive. It sounds like it nullifies all crit chance, but it's deeper than that.

For example. A passive mode gives 50% increased crit chance. By itself that's pretty simple. Controlled destruction gives 100% reduced crit chance for linked spells. Now this might sound like it reduces our 150% chance to crit to 0% but it instead goes to 50%. The words increase and decrease in poe are directly additive with each other. If you see more or less, those are instead multiplicative and will indeed work more inline with how we normally consider percentages.

A notable exception is things such as the "Increased critical" support gem that states 'supported gems have +1.5% chance to crit'. That is added directly to the supported skills base crit chance (found on the skill gems tooltip) and is THEN changed by increases/decreases and THEN changed by more/less modifiers. It's all a bit crazy.

Hope I didn't give you an answer you ready knew!
"
DMRL wrote:
"
Painkiller606 wrote:

Welcome to the game! This is a classic case of PoE's terminology not being completely intuitive. It sounds like it nullifies all crit chance, but it's deeper than that.

For example. A passive mode gives 50% increased crit chance. By itself that's pretty simple. Controlled destruction gives 100% reduced crit chance for linked spells. Now this might sound like it reduces our 150% chance to crit to 0% but it instead goes to 50%. The words increase and decrease in poe are directly additive with each other. If you see more or less, those are instead multiplicative and will indeed work more inline with how we normally consider percentages.

A notable exception is things such as the "Increased critical" support gem that states 'supported gems have +1.5% chance to crit'. That is added directly to the supported skills base crit chance (found on the skill gems tooltip) and is THEN changed by increases/decreases and THEN changed by more/less modifiers. It's all a bit crazy.

Hope I didn't give you an answer you ready knew!

Ah, so you can cancel out the reduced crit chance with only a few passive nodes? Thanks!

I do wonder though if it would be better to use a different gem and spend those passive skills elsewhere... I should really learn to use Path of Builder, haha
Last edited by Painkiller606 on Oct 13, 2020, 2:21:19 PM
Could you upload any higher lvl than currently? I a struggeling in figuring out what to do after act 10 build, i am currently act 7 at lv 62, everything dies 1 shot but which passives should I go next for?

At the moment im taking -reserved on aura to be able to run both heralds, precision and zealot. And I am going for more crit on spell.
"

Could you upload any higher lvl than currently? I a struggeling in figuring out what to do after act 10 build, i am currently act 7 at lv 62, everything dies 1 shot but which passives should I go next for?

At the moment im taking -reserved on aura to be able to run both heralds, precision and zealot. And I am going for more crit on spell.

If you look under the Maps section I attached three more passive trees going up to lvl 90 that might be helpful to you
Hi am currently trying out this build for mayhem but I'm confused about some things.

For the gem links there doesn't seem to be enough space given that the golems, aura, and cwdt, are a 4 gem link according to the guide yet with a wand and shield set up it only provides a 4-4-3-3 gem slots (rn i decided to leave out leech for the golems given that I can't fully utilize them yet).

I also breezed through the acts given that this event made the exp gain insane however I noticed a large DPS dip and suddenly being one-shotting once I reached act 9-10 and making maps very difficult.

I know my gear isn't fully optimized yet given that its the leveling phase however the resistances were already capped and I had a 2-3 lvl lead on most of those areas making me wonder why I was having such a difficult time.

Would appreciate some comments and advice.
I am using this build and I noticed that you dont have any Jewels what jewels should I get if I want this build as my endgame build

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info