Chromatic Orb & Armor Types

Do armor sockets have a higher chance of becoming the color of the stat required to equip the piece when using Chromatic Orbs? I was working with some INT pieces earlier and had a very easy time making them all blue.

Just now, I had a 5 slot chest piece that required STR/DEX to wear it. I had enough of the stats to equip it so I thought I'd take a shot at getting the sockets blue, or mostly blue at least. I used all 23 of my Chromatic Orbs on it, and could never get more than one socket to be blue at a time.

Is this just really bad luck, or do the sockets favor the stat required to equip the item?
Interested in joining an active Clan? Check out Fever!

http://feverclan.com/forums/65-application-section.html
My experiences mirror your own, it seems the base-type determines the ease of getting other socket colours onto it.
It's random. But the odds greatly favour the attribute color of that armour.

That mean it is possible for any color combination to exist on any armour piece, some require more luck than others
Unviable build tester.
Fuse mechanics:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21503
95% Crit Build Without Charges [0.10.1c]:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438
I doubt you can get 5 blue sockets on a STR armor piece or so rare that it would make no sense to waste the chromatics
I wasted 60+ chrom orbs before giving up on trying to get 4 blue sockets onto a 4l str helm. it just isn't possible. I think out of the 60 I used, I got all red like 5 times. the most blues were 2 only :(
I too am frustrated with the socket colors I get using chromatic orbs. I had 3 blues on a caster piece and I needed just one green. I wasted 4 chromatics and still didn't get a green. Maybe someone should change the odds to make it easier to get all three colors of sockets. Chromatic orbs are very rare drops (at least for me) and expensive to buy from the vendor. I would like more for my money's worth and less frustration. Too often I end up hanging on to inferior armor for too long because the color, number, or links on the sockets of the new stuff I find are wrong and odds of getting the socket configuration I want are not good.
"
BigBro89 wrote:
I too am frustrated with the socket colors I get using chromatic orbs. I had 3 blues on a caster piece and I needed just one green. I wasted 4 chromatics and still didn't get a green. Maybe someone should change the odds to make it easier to get all three colors of sockets. Chromatic orbs are very rare drops (at least for me) and expensive to buy from the vendor. I would like more for my money's worth and less frustration. Too often I end up hanging on to inferior armor for too long because the color, number, or links on the sockets of the new stuff I find are wrong and odds of getting the socket configuration I want are not good.


firstly, using 4 chromatics you'll need to be the luckiest person on earth to get exactly what you desire in terms of colours, even on an item primed to receive that stat colour.

secondly, chromatics themselves are rare, but there are easy ways to create them (a couple of jewellers sold to the vendor should net you a chromatic) and also you should keep an eye out for 3 colour linked items, even non magical ones. an item with red, green, blue slots linked will trade for a chromatic too.

once you know there are other ways of obtaining orbs such as these other than mere looting them from drops, you'll be less inclined to think that 4 chromatics wasted on trying to get the right slots is a significant loss.
I do all the things that you wrote in your reply, but I still often end up using armor that is 10 or more levels below my character. One time I quit using a spell on my witch because I found a much better item and I had no luck getting a green socket. I have tons of really nice items in my stash that have the wrong sockets so I cannot use them. Such a waste!
Chromatic orbs are a real rip-off! It says that they C the colors of the sockets on an item, but often they do not do this. I am still talking about the item that has 3 blue sockets. I used 4 chromatics on it and I got only one red socket once...the rest all stayed blue(was trying to get one green and 2 blue on the item). If that is not a rip-off I don't know what one is! They are supposed to CHANGE the colors of the sockets not leave them the same! This can really limit the character builds and skills way too much. What harm would it do if it was easier to get the color of socket you want? I know you can grind in hopes of finding items with the right color sockets or use jewelers orbs but the odds of finding the right item are not good and jewelers orbs very rarely put more then 3 sockets on an item.
"
ualac wrote:
a couple of jewellers sold to the vendor should net you a chromatic

Not really worth it, chromatics aren't even worth 1 jeweler. Just do this:

"
ualac wrote:

and also you should keep an eye out for 3 colour linked items, even non magical ones. an item with red, green, blue slots linked will trade for a chromatic too.
or convert jewelers to fusings at the vendors, and buy chromatics en masse from other players using fusings. A stack of chromatics should only cost 2-3 fusings at most.

I think there should be an "anti-chromatic" orb obtained by vendoring an orb of chance and a chromatic orb, that gives you the opposite of what it usually does. For example, str helms will give mostly blue/green, and rarely red. Just an idea.
Last edited by Silty on May 15, 2012 5:06 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info