[3.16] g00fy_goober's do it all Arc Trapper (Easily Clear All Content)

Note: If you have any questions pertaining to the build. Please post them here or if you want feel free to ask in stream. Please do not PM me in game or on forum as you will not get a response.

Stream: Feel free to stop by my stream at twitch.tv/goof1313 if you have any questions about builds or guides. Always happy to discuss them on stream or answer any questions you may have.

ALWAYS READ THIS FIRST!!
ChangeLog
3.16 - Lots of little changes added up (see page 13 for full list) Generally the build is decently buffed and stronger than before.

3.15 Just general nerfs like all builds encountered with flask/gem stuff

3.14 No Changes of note

3.13 Some minor changes to ascendancy, nothing really of note. Build fucntions the same as always with slightly improved aoe/cdr/trap trigger chance/reduced mana cost and perma blind.

3.12 Nothing of note. Vengeful commander got nerfed from 30% to 20% but considering how strong it was, im assuming it is still keeping and not switching to another notable.

Intro
Few years back (not exactly sure which league) Arc Traps was literally the best thing to do in the game. After a few minor nerfs people called the build completely dead. You heard things like mines are way better, arc was nerfed to much, traps got hit to hard, etc etc. While some of these nerfs definitely effected how good the build was, I always wondered if the power creep over the last few years made the build playable... You don't see almost anyone do traps anymore but to me a trap build feels 10x better to play then a mine build so I wanted to explore and find out if the build was in fact dead. Unsurprisingly it is NOT. Not even close. Arc traps are as strong as ever and here is a guide to prove how great they still are.

Pros
- Very fun to play
- Very strong single target + Clear
- Shock/Ignite/Freeze/Chill immune
- Blinds nearby enemies
- Corrupting Blood Immune (Traps)
- Reflect Immune (Traps)
- Can do literally all map mods (few annyoing ones)
- Able to do all content in game
- Amazing defensive capabilities
- Easy to stack for and gear chaos res
- Easy/Cheap to gear with room for lots of improvements as you get more currency
- Great league starter

Cons
- Giant packs of porcupines that you kill are as wonderful as it sounds
- Can be challenging to find gear that exists with everything you want on it if you super min/max

Quick Leveling Guide
- For weapons anything with +1 to ALL lightning spell skill gems is going to be your best bet.

- Explosive Trap for all Act 1 (Or can do w/e you want honestly).

- At level 12/merveil grab arc and link with multiple traps + added lightning

- At level 28 grab lightning spire trap and make sure to get some early supports for them as well.

- Slaughter all content.

Gear Breakdown and Stat Prioritization

Helm
Hubris Circlet with Arc chains an additional time enchant is the way to go. Craft yourself or buy one that has decent life and the nearby enemies have -9% to lightning resistance fossil mod. Chaos res is super nice here and then any kind of other res or crafted dual res works.

Weapons
Wands with 100%+ crit chance for spells and +1 level of all lightning gems along with a bit of spell damage/crit multi is ideal. The easiest way is to get +1 light gems and 100+ spell crit and then multimod and add #-# lightning damage to spells and spell damage. If you pour in exalts you can get some pretty crazy weapons with like +1 lightning gems AND +1 spell gems and some other stuff. Not needed at all, but the option is there.

Chest
Vaal regalia Hunter base is your best bet. Roll this baby up (or buy one) to get % life and high flat life along with spell crit chance. Res/chaos res after that would be nice.

Gloves
Shaper Fingerless silk gloves for the spell dmg implicit. Need to get Trap & Mine dmg support as it gives a free 5th link for your lightning spire trap. Then get a good amount of life + chaos res + other res.

Boots
Rare Two-Toned boots. I try to get 3 solid mods (2 suffix +1 prefix). So like High res + High Res + A solid ES roll. Then I multimod and add movespeed/cannot be chilled and cannot be frozen on them. I LOVE boots like these.

Belt
You have a few options here but i actually went with a rare heavy belt. You need a good amount of str for your CWDT + IC setup and abyss jewels don't do a huge amount for this build so i just grabbed a heavy belt. Craft it up with fossils and get lightning dmg/ele dmg and a good amount of life + res. Having an open prefix to craft on % dmg is the icing on the cake.

Jewelry
Your first ring should be a mark of the shaper with high % es high % life and as high spell dmg as you can get. Augment this up with caster catalysts and you can get a whopping 96% increased spell dmg. Your second ring should be a solid rare (elder) ring. I went with a Vermillion ring because i already did so much damage and felt a tad on the squishy side so wanted some more life. Amulet is one of the most lovely pieces of gear on this build. The simple start is to awakener orb hunter/crusader and get +1 level of all lightning skill gems and +1 level of all intelligence skill gems. A good amount of life and crit multi would be solid to add to this but as most awakener orb things it might be rather difficult to do... Harvest league crafting luckily made an amulet like this INCREDIBLY easy to do. So having +1 int gems +1 light gems + crit multi + crit chance +106 life with some trap throwing speed master crafted on is you nearly perfect ammy... That being said without harvest crafting you probably won't get anything close to this with an awakener orb but just having the +1 int and +1 lightning gems with some life should be pretty easy to achieve and better then any other amulet you will be able to get.

Jewels
Uniques
Watcher's eye. Start with a wrath lightning pen one, if you have a lot of exalts feel free to get wrath lightning pen + precision crit multi.

Cluster
Large
For this build we use 2x Large cluster jewels. They are pretty easy to roll/buy. First let's start with the large cluster jewels. Your 3 passives you want are Vengeful commander + Prismatic heart + EITHER doryani's lesson or Disorienting Display. Either one of those last 2 gives 25% ele dmg and the other part don't do anything for us.

Medium
For the 4x mediums you want a slight mix here... ONE of your jewels must have Arcane Pyrotechnics on it. This gives you a nice 20% dmg boost along with a super OP free arcane surge. The other mod should be expendability. While this does not show in your tooltip or your dps at all it gives you a 10% chance to throw 1 additional trap. Seeing as we only throw 3 traps, this gives us a 10% chance to do 33.3% MORE damage. Your other 3 medium cluster jewels should also have expendability and surprise sabotage on them. Any other res/life/dmg/chaos res/str small passives will give you a little bonus but nothing major. In total expendability stacks up so we now have a 40% chance to throw an additional trap which is by far the best trap notable we can get.

Rares
For all your rare jewels you want to have 5% reduced mana cost of skills and 7% max life. 5% reduced mana isn't a ton but you get 7 jewels so this gives you 35% reduced mana cost of skills which is pretty huge. Then a perfect jewel would be a double crit multi roll. Crit multi with lightning skills is best (as it rolls up to 18%), next best would be crit multi for spells (rolls up to 15%) and lastly global crit multi (rolls up to 12%). In reality buying a max life + reduced mana cost + crit multi w/ lightning skills are pretty cheap and easy to get. Leo slam or exalt slam and hope for best if you don't want to cough up a bunch of money to buy 4 mod jewels. Running with 3 mod jewels honestly is just fine though.

Gems & Links
Body Armor 4L: Arc - Trap Support - Awakened Added Lightning Damage - Cluster Traps
5L Trap and Mine Damage
6L Awakened Lightning Penetration

3L Setup: Wrath - Summon Skitterbots - Enlighten (level 3 or 4)
3L Setup: CWDT (level 20) - Summon Stone Golem (level 20) - Culling Strike (level 1)
4L Setup: Lightning Spire Trap - Awakened Added Lightning - Awakened Ele Focus - Awakened Lightning Pen
4L Setup: CWDT (level 7) - IC (level 9) - Inc Duration (level 20) - Vaal RF (level 21)
4L Setup:Flame Dash - Faster Casting - Precision (level 1)

Flasks

Crit Chance with Diamond Flask
Here is a nifty little table that explains it better than I ever could while using diamond flask:

Enchants
Gloves - W/e you want (doesn't really matter).

Boots - Adds 1 to 160 lightning damage if you haven't killed recently (100% uptime because you are traps)

Helm - Arc chains an additional time

Bandit
Help Alira for the 5 mana regen/s, 15 to all resists, and 20% crit multi to start. Respec this in the endgame as 2 passive points will outshine it then.

Ascendancy Points
Pyromaniac - Perfect Crime - Born in the Shadows - Explosives Expert

Pantheon
Minor God - Used to go Shakari for poison stuff now that it was nerfed i tend to lean towards Abberath for the immune to burning ground. Use w/e you want.

Major God - Soul of Lunaris is the one I run. Chance to avoid projectiles, avoid projectiles that have chained, extra dodge, extra phys reduction, move speed etc. You can use w/e you want though, doesn't matter much.

Annointment
Master Sapper is by far the best to go here. Lots of damage + frenzy charges + trap trigger aoe + more traps.

PoB link
https://pastebin.com/HAGMnvPp

FAQ
Can we use swift assembly over Cluster Traps? Completely up to you. With arc traps i liked swift assembly a bit better while leveling but once fully geared i felt like cluster traps did much more damage as you cast a lot more traps.

Why is mana such an issue & why do i keep running out? Mana is a huge issue with traps. Getting 20% reduced mana cost of skills from ascendancy + 35% reduced mana cost of skills from all your jewels + -10 mana cost from the ring craft really adds up. Then getting more es/es recharge while using eldritch battery makes you almost never run out of mana.

Why does RF go off when I get hit? You want to have Vaal RF linked to inc duration which means this needs to be linked to your cwdt setup. Make sure it is a higher level than the cwdt itself and this will stop happening.

Why does wiseoak not give me any damage? First realize that tooltip dmg will not be affected by your extra penetration from flask. Only POB will show that it does but nothing in game. Second make sure that LIGHTNING res is your highest uncapped res or it will not work.

I don't like this or that with your build. Do I have to do it? 100% Absolutely Not. This is a build that I tweaked specifically to fit me. Do to you what feels right and looks good for YOU. YOU are the one that has to play it and enjoy it. Trust me when I say if you change your damage by a few hundred or even a few thousand or swap your defenses around it will not make or break the build for the most part. However keep in mind that I will always advise people to do what I have laid out in the build.

Why is my tooltip damage not even close to real dps? There are so many things in POE that do not effect tooltip damage. This is why POB is the way to go and even then, a ton of your dps is not shown. Ball lightning dps even in POB seems super small, but that is per tick, which hits like almost 7x a second and still does not include a bunch of things. Just trust me, the dmg is insane.

Hope you all enjoyed the guide and hope it allows many players to enjoy this wonderful game even more. If you have any questions/comments/vouches you are encouraged to post up. As long as you have FULLY read the guide. Also again feel free to catch me on my stream. Happy farming my fellow exiles!
Last edited by g00fy_goober on Oct 21, 2021, 12:20:09 PM
Last bumped on Mar 5, 2022, 6:46:03 AM
Video added!
Can u go LL with this build?
"
CaptSid wrote:
Can u go LL with this build?

Haven't really looked into it much and i'm sure you COULD get it to work but idk if it would be worth it. Would have to pick up ZO which is a bit far away from where we currently go. You would lose chestpiece for shavs, wand for shield and probably ammy (which is my fav piece on the build) for a presence of chayula and then some passive changes and such and obviously ES nodes instead of life nodes.

I am sure it's possible just not sure if its viable. If you do decide to check it out i would make sure you compare the numbers of all the dps/life/crit chance/multi/res's etc etc and check it out thorougly in POB to see if you think it is worthwhile.
Build updated and ready for 3.12. Still very strong and very underrated. Also makes a fantastic league starter. Hope more people will jump back on the trap bandwagon. Enjoyed this build so much last league i used as leaguestarter and continued to use it for the entire league lol.
a goofy goober guide without 600 pages wowsers
"
lChopSueyl wrote:
a goofy goober guide without 600 pages wowsers

Well it is my most recent one so we will give it some time :)
Thank you for this! Is there a particular order you suggest to complete the skill tree? Didn't see phases in the PoB
gonna try this out tomorrow (: ty!
"
purebishop wrote:
Thank you for this! Is there a particular order you suggest to complete the skill tree? Didn't see phases in the PoB

Having a "leveling" tree is kind of a thing of the past. There is no absolute certainty of which way to go or what you should grab first. Though i scooped up the trap nodes and the life ones as i went.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info