the real diablo3^^ so funny

so the problem is more a shitty unintuitive ui issue
Winner of the First Ever Cut-Throat Server Test, and Winner of the First Ever Cut-Throat League Event!
IGN: Sonalia, Arkimond
Last edited by Tommerbob on Apr 22, 2012, 9:20:26 PM
"
NotSorry wrote:

Whether it's un-intuitive is really not at issue here.

Being able to problem solve yourself by clicking "Options" and then seeing the "Elective Mode" option and hovering it to see that you can place your skills wherever you want.

No, the problem here is this person takes issue with something, that is only an issue because he can't/won't read.
"
"
NotSorry wrote:

Whether it's un-intuitive is really not at issue here.

Being able to problem solve yourself by clicking "Options" and then seeing the "Elective Mode" option and hovering it to see that you can place your skills wherever you want.

No, the problem here is this person takes issue with something, that is only an issue because he can't/won't read.

I think it's more of the fact that they have the "hand-held" option checked in the first place. A lot of companies are catering to the "casual" gamers by making their games much more easier and something that someone who only plans on playing twenty minutes a night can get just as much or more than someone who plays a few hours a night. Just my few cents.
If you read what I said, then thank you, I say very important things, things that need to be said! Here's a chocolate chip cookie, enriched with vitamins.
If a significant number of players are having the same issue with a design then there is clearly something wrong with it. In this particular case it's more like the overwhelming majority of players didn't even question that you can't remap your skills to a key slot of your choice because everything else had been dumbed down so much.

Most games that have hand holding options prompt you the first time you encounter that game mechanic to know your preference. They failed to do anything like that in D3.

They don't really let you make your own decisions when you level up either so why should you assume the quirky ui had an "elective mode" you could turn on to allow you to do something really basic like assign your skills to whichever key-bind you want?

Face it, Diablo 3 is not the game for arpg fans who first fell in love with the genre playing D1/D2. Frankly I don't know who they made the game for, maybe it's a scam where they calculated that they could reap massive profits on blind pre-orders alone while simultaneously achieving huge cost savings on not having to keep a lot of servers running if everyone stops playing within 6 months.
"
FiercelyFuzzy wrote:
I think it's more of the fact that they have the "hand-held" option checked in the first place. A lot of companies are catering to the "casual" gamers by making their games much more easier and something that someone who only plans on playing twenty minutes a night can get just as much or more than someone who plays a few hours a night. Just my few cents.
And a lot of gamers think they're intelligent and "hardcore" but don't even bother to check the options screen. Just my two cents.

"
MM209 wrote:
...why should you assume...
You shouldn't assume. That's why you should check.

I mean, you say that most games with "hand-holding" options prompt you for it. That's nice, I know Mass Effect 3 did that with it's "Action Mode" etc, and that works well. Thing is, how do you make a decision about which options to actively prompt the player for, and which to leave on the options screen for them to find? Things like tutorial tips, advanced tooltips, monster healthbars, they could all be seen as hand-holding in one way or another, but it's not practical for developers to prompt you about every option. At some point you have to take some responsibility for your own experience and check the options yourself.

It's not rocket science guys. Make it a habit to do a quick run through the options screen before you start any game. You'll be better off for it.
Well, there is the issue of money.

Blizzard is a company. Why do companies exist? To make money.

# of casual gamers >>>>>>>> # of 'hardcore, pro, (whatever the heck you want to call it)' gamers.

who will they make the most profit from?

Casual gamers.

I'm not saying its right or anything, just from a simple economics point of view, its far more beneficial for Blizzard to cater more towards the casual gamer than the hardcore one. I'm just glad there's still an elective mode at all, some games don't even have that level of customization anymore.
"
MM209 wrote:
If a significant number of players are having the same issue with a design then there is clearly something wrong with it. In this particular case it's more like the overwhelming majority of players didn't even question that you can't remap your skills to a key slot of your choice because everything else had been dumbed down so much.

Most games that have hand holding options prompt you the first time you encounter that game mechanic to know your preference. They failed to do anything like that in D3.

They don't really let you make your own decisions when you level up either so why should you assume the quirky ui had an "elective mode" you could turn on to allow you to do something really basic like assign your skills to whichever key-bind you want?

Face it, Diablo 3 is not the game for arpg fans who first fell in love with the genre playing D1/D2. Frankly I don't know who they made the game for, maybe it's a scam where they calculated that they could reap massive profits on blind pre-orders alone while simultaneously achieving huge cost savings on not having to keep a lot of servers running if everyone stops playing within 6 months.

You do realize how hyperbolic this post was right?

Your first point. All I have to say about that is I'm not the most pro player in the world. I would never be the first one to figure out how to break the game using PoE's skill tree, or how to make the best Zealer in D2, but I am smart enough to (when exposed to a situation where I wonder if I can place my skills where I want) open the menu's to see if there is an option to manually place my skills. So you saying that there is a problem fundamentally of the design prompts me to wonder if I can do it, who can't???

As far as them not really letting you customize your decisions. Dude? Have you played D3 up and through inferno yet? I don't think you have. You have NO idea what kind of decisions you are going to NEED to make in order to survive and triumph over the content. Do you think a Blizzard rep is going to pop up in a chat interface while you are playing and ask if you have any questions. Or what they think you should do as far as your skills and gearing choice when facing the games hardest content? No, I don't think that is going to be the case. There are A LOT of action skills, and A LOT of skill runes to further customize based on the needs of the encounters you are facing.

The Dev team has stated themselves; once you are out of normal mode, even the normal mobs running around are going to start doing weird shit, being alot more aggressive and forcing you to completely rething your strategy. Now whether or not you agree with a design decision based on just ticking your challenge bone a little bit in normal most (they've said some of their seasoned players were having troubles with the last few acts even on normal mode) then smacking you in the face with a steep ramp up in difficulty in subsequent acts is your decision. I really wish you wouldn't however make very rash, and uninformed decisions about a game that nobody has even played yet.

Your last statement really doesn't even warrant comment. I assume you are being blatantly sarcastic, but given the tone of the rest of your post I'm going to assume you actually believe some of the stuff you wrote. Look man D1/D2 were entirely different games. D3 is an entirely different game. Do you hear people crying because FFVIII and on through the most recent iterations of the game were terrible because they were nothing like their beloved FFVII? Well some did, but most people enjoyed the wild difference in game style and direction. Well alot of people hated FFXIII but I liked it, but that's beside the point.

Diablo 3 is a game designed for fans of the ARPG genre. I want to be powerful, have cool armor, and kill things to death. It looks like they made a game perfectly tailored to my interests. That just ONE person. There are quite a few more like me out there I'm sure. Not everyone is living in such a state of extreme nostalgia that they can't get over themselves and either just enjoy the game Blizz is creating for them AND themselves, or to just give it a pass if they are so adamant about thinking they know about what D3 is going to be like in it's entirety. No instead they just torture themselves and bitch uncontrollably about the fact that D3 isn't D2.5. It's all quite childish if you ask me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info