Tectonic Slam... Tidebreaker or Kongor's Undying??

Hey guys, im runing a Chieftain with 9 endurance charges, and it is time to get a gear upgrade.... Right now im using Kongor's, but it is not a 6l, and i need a 6l weapon.

My question is, what weapon would be better? tidebreaker or Kongors? looks like Tidebreaker would bring more damage because it give +10% damage per charge, and a extra +4% damage per charge (From lvl 20 endurance charge on stun passive)... But most people are runing Kongors... Is there a reason for that?? the Onslaugh bonus from Kongors is better than +14% bonus damage per endurance charge? or it is for the 18% all elemental resists? Im confuse and dont know what weapon to invest...

a second question would be what helmet to use, Deidbellow or Devoto's Devotion?

Deidbellow is a more offensive helmet and Devotos a more defensive??? any sigestion on what helmet to aim for?

thx alot guys.
Last bumped on Jul 8, 2020, 11:13:24 AM
Pure dps isn't everything. (But you can play in PoB to see what you really get.)

Hits Can't Be Evaded and Onslaught are nice QoL and Kongor's looks a lot less expensive for a 6L. Onslaught gives you movement as well, and clear speed means a lot. I haven't played the build so others can weigh in on the actual reasons for their choices.
"
GreyLensman wrote:
Pure dps isn't everything. (But you can play in PoB to see what you really get.)

Hits Can't Be Evaded and Onslaught are nice QoL and Kongor's looks a lot less expensive for a 6L. Onslaught gives you movement as well, and clear speed means a lot. I haven't played the build so others can weigh in on the actual reasons for their choices.

thx alot, but how mutch damage and speed comes from Onslough? 20% attackspeed and 20% damage?? Tidebreaker with 9charges would be +126%... i dont know if that is a big damage buff only on papper, or if it will be big in game to.
"
andrelb1 wrote:

thx alot, but how mutch damage and speed comes from Onslough? 20% attackspeed and 20% damage?? Tidebreaker with 9charges would be +126%... i dont know if that is a big damage buff only on papper, or if it will be big in game to.

Your math is WAY off on tidebreaker fyi. The endurance charge on melee stun support is 4% More damage per end charge. So you'd get 90% increased and 36% more damage (assuming you socket into the tidebreaker)

Also Onslaught is just 20% increased global attackspd/movespd (and castspd). Doesn't stack with itself from say a Silver flask though.

Tidebreaker will crush Kongers easily if price for a 6L isn't a concern. Also if accuracy isn't a concern.
Most things in PoE are a trade-off.

Your build needs a plan for e-charges, accuracy, movement speed, and obviously damage is really important. And there is budget.

You can compare damage in PoB. The rest you have to sort out with build planning.

In my personal experience, a 50% boost in total dps is something you will normally notice, but it won't feel huge. Even doubling your dps will get eaten up very quickly as you do more difficult content. The weapon is a start, but you also want a general plan for how you're going to continue scaling your damage in the build. Check some of the builds on PoE Ninja to see what people are doing with both weapons.
Last edited by GreyLensman on Jul 6, 2020, 8:56:59 AM
Both accuracy and attack speed are vital stats for slam builds to feel good and they don't always come naturally. DPS pretty much does. It doesn't take much to get a shit load of damage with 2 handed weapon slam + dual warcry.

Ultimately it depends on your budget. Kongor will allow you fix accuracy entirely and it will help with attack speed due to more or less permanent onslaught all in one weapon, even if it falls of a bit in damage there is a good chance it will feel better.

If you have the gear and resources to fix both issues on Tidebreaker you should go for it but if you go with Tidebreaker and end up with 1,2 second attack time and 50% accuracy then you won't like it at all, no matter the damage.
I would never recommend kongor's, hits can't be evaded is great... but sacrificing critical damage to do it defeats the purpose (of more damage from hitting every time).

Tidebreaker is pretty rare in comparison, I've seen maybe one drop if any in all the leagues I've played. Unlike Kongor's it's mods are built specifically around stun and endurance charges, something useful albeit niche.
Yep, totally over league play.
Your statement about crits is true for fast hitting builds but for a slow slam build who attacks like once every 2 seconds it's usefulness is fairly limited unless you can get it close to 100% critchance. With like 30% he will hardly even notice it.
Tecslam clears like 2 screens of monsters everytime you click anyway, no crit needed here and against bosses it's also not that helpful. If you're lucky with crits you need 2 hits instead of 3, if you are unlucky it's 4 hits. If he wants to benefit from the crit chance he can use elemental overload for 40% more, will arguably still be more useful than stacking crit multi though i dare say even that's not worth it because the uptime will be trash. Scaling base damage, accuracy and attackspeed is imo the better way to go with 2 hand. You get a shit ton of more modifiers from your exerts anyway.

It's also worth noting that elemental damage has a lower stun modifier than physical damage, so for stunning Tecslam isn't the best choice in the first place + Stunlocks are impossible since 3.11 making it less useful than before.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Jul 6, 2020, 12:55:13 PM
Well I was also considering the fact that the keystone wasn't a big reach and the cannot evade attacks mod is a far better selling point than the onslaught mod - and if you're going to invest into 6 linking, you want it to be an item that has a decent chance to sell or at least enough market value to justify 6 linking.

The biggest reason to worry about accuracy is damage unless you have something that can proc on hit specifically. It does tend to help with the tooltip number otherwise though.
Yep, totally over league play.
The biggest reason to worry about accuracy with 2 hand is that it feels really bad (and is potentially deadly) if you do your slam and miss and then have to wait 2 seconds before you can do the next. In a similar vein, attackspeed is essentially a defensive mod on slam builds. They are slow by nature and you don't want to have 1 second + attack time because that's free hitting time for every monster nearby so getting 20% from onslaught helps a lot. Sure he can use a silver flask but that means giving up on something else.

Just speccing RT is an option of course but that means no onslaught and potentially no elemental overload.
As for market prices, i am no expert for ladder prices but from what i've seen 6 linking is almost always a loss if you want to sell. Most 6 links sell for like 2 EX on ladder, if that. You don't get 1500 fusions for 2 ex and doing it without the bench is just a gamble that can pay off or not.

At the end it really depends on how the rest of the gear looks and how much currency he has, i am sure there are better weapons than Kongors given the right build but compensating for all the upsides without taking major downsides will probably end up being difficult/expensive.

As for deidbellow vs devotos, i'd run the latter. Attackspeed and movement speed are huge QOL stats and chaos res is a good thing as well. 20 increased melee and a little flat damage won't do much as 2 handed builds tend to already have plenty of both.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Jul 6, 2020, 2:14:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info