[3.14] Gryph's Thirsty Archmage Cremation Necromancer

"
Silenc42 wrote:
I can confirm that this build works very nicely (after switching from spellslinger VD). The transition to maps is also not really a problem, even without the uniques and with 4Ls.

Something else:
I am still not 100% comfortable with the run, stop, 2-click playstyle. Remembering the days of Scold's VD cwc cyclone, I am about to try this:

Get a 6L staff and drop the trigger socketed spells enchant
Put in cyclone cwc with desecrate and some other skills you need to trigger from time to time; preferrably something with cooldown like cold snap to keep the corpse uptime. (possibly support it with spell cascade)

Put on Stampede boots (safe movement and some mana-reg) to keep the 150% movement speed during cyclone. (Possibly switch to frostblink for instant movement without interrupting cyc; arcane cloak should also not interrupt our spin).

The idea is to not self cast desecrate but rather have it as cast while moving (i.e. cycl cwc). From time to time throw a cremation into the mobs or 3 around the boss. and keep cycling until it's time to cremate again.
I hope it will be smoother and more mobile playstyle.
This should also assure a supply of corpses for Kitava's teachings.

What we loose is the chance to proc Kitava's thirst gems when casting desecrate. It will only proc on cremation. Arcane cloak has no real cost it just spends mana which apparently doesn't count. And I really don't see frostblink costing more than 100 mana without using voidbringer gloves.

What do you think, guys and gals?

P.S. Another, cheaper alternative could be to go mace and shield to keep the cast socketed spell when you use a skill and the res of the shield. Less cwc, more skills from the wand when using arcane cloack or frostblink (and ofc cremation)

How did your tests work. I am a little bit afraid of trying this build exactely because of the run-stop-2click playstyle?
"
Quarkbag wrote:
"
Silenc42 wrote:
Spoiler
I can confirm that this build works very nicely (after switching from spellslinger VD). The transition to maps is also not really a problem, even without the uniques and with 4Ls.

Something else:
I am still not 100% comfortable with the run, stop, 2-click playstyle. Remembering the days of Scold's VD cwc cyclone, I am about to try this:

Put in cyclone cwc with desecrate and some other skills you need to trigger from time to time; preferrably something with cooldown like cold snap to keep the corpse uptime. (possibly support it with spell cascade)

Put on Stampede boots (safe movement and some mana-reg) to keep the 150% movement speed during cyclone. (Possibly switch to frostblink for instant movement without interrupting cyc; arcane cloak should also not interrupt our spin).

The idea is to not self cast desecrate but rather have it as cast while moving (i.e. cycl cwc). From time to time throw a cremation into the mobs or 3 around the boss. and keep cycling until it's time to cremate again.

What we loose is the chance to proc Kitava's thirst gems when casting desecrate. It will only proc on cremation. Arcane cloak has no real cost it just spends mana which apparently doesn't count. And I really don't see frostblink costing more than 100 mana without using voidbringer gloves.

P.S. Another, cheaper alternative could be to go mace and shield to keep the cast socketed spell when you use a skill and the res of the shield. Less cwc, more skills from the wand when using arcane cloack or frostblink (and ofc cremation)

How did your tests work. I am a little bit afraid of trying this build exactely because of the run-stop-2click playstyle?

Te issue with trying to automate via CWC Cyclone is that it's still 2 click to Cremate, except now you have to wait for cyclone to proc via CWC gem.

If you want some semi-automation you can put desecrate into the Helmet which will proc on 50% of your Cremation casts. I did this for a while and it's nice enough. Decided it wasn't worth it in the end though. Also for mapping a lot of the time you can forgo casting desecrate as you kill monsters and just use their corpses.

Oh and Cremation only consumes one corpse so you can place 2 or 3 before you need to desecrate again anyways.

EDIT:
Guide updates.
Added Shaper Kill video
Tweaked Gems and Links and added some cool mechanic interaction with Righteous Fire, Trigger Wand, Soul of Arakaali, and a Dousing Flask.
I have moved away from Algor Mortis. I like having Life on gloves and Ele Focus as a DPS support. It's still good for raw damage output though.
Added Increased Crit to helmet for more reliable EO procs
Skyforth's BIS boots
etc...
Last edited by Gryphenprey on Jun 29, 2020, 4:02:05 PM
so additional 10% MoM on watcher's eye is better than +30% mana recovery rate?
"
Silenc42 wrote:

Something else:

That's still a 2-click playstyle. In this build, you don't really need to 2-click very often when clearing because there's a lot of corpse around. But for better efficiency, I guess 2-clicking always is better or 1 cast desecrate then 2-3 cremation. Mind you, this is way easier than the new warcry meta we have today and I don't want to touch that.

You'll get comfortable with it soon.

If you really want to 1 click it. There's a guide here in the forums where he did Cyclone-CWC-Desecrate-Cremation but beware that this is way more clunky and way more inefficient because of how CWC works.
Does projectile speed matter on the wand? does it affect cremation?
"
Truman1997 wrote:
Does projectile speed matter on the wand? does it affect cremation?

It doesn't really *matter* though it does technically effect Cremation. It's not a damage boost it just makes the projectiles go from the geyser to the floor faster.

"
rax4r wrote:
so additional 10% MoM on watcher's eye is better than +30% mana recovery rate?

Yes. If you have Cloak of Defiance and thus 40% MoM your life makes up 60% of your total Effective Health Pool.

So if you have, say, 4.4k life, then you have 7.3k EHP.

Now, if you have the watcher's eye, then your 4.4k life is 50% of your EHP. Your EHP is now 8.8k.

That's 1.5k more eHP. That's quite a lot. :)
"
Gryphenprey wrote:
"
Quarkbag wrote:
"
Silenc42 wrote:
Spoiler

Something else:

Te issue with trying to automate via CWC Cyclone is that it's still 2 click to Cremate, except now you have to wait for cyclone to proc via CWC gem.

If you want some semi-automation you can put desecrate into the Helmet which will proc on 50% of your Cremation casts. I did this for a while and it's nice enough. Decided it wasn't worth it in the end though. Also for mapping a lot of the time you can forgo casting desecrate as you kill monsters and just use their corpses.

Oh and Cremation only consumes one corpse so you can place 2 or 3 before you need to desecrate again anyways.

EDIT:
Guide updates.
Added Shaper Kill video
Tweaked Gems and Links and added some cool mechanic interaction with Righteous Fire, Trigger Wand, Soul of Arakaali, and a Dousing Flask.
I have moved away from Algor Mortis. I like having Life on gloves and Ele Focus as a DPS support. It's still good for raw damage output though.
Added Increased Crit to helmet for more reliable EO procs
Skyforth's BIS boots
etc...

Hello Mr. Gryph. Thank you very much for the Answer.
I started the league as a Summoner but dont like it that much. Now i want to switch to a caster build and stuggeling between the "Everyone playing VD Spellslinger" and your build right here.

Can you maybe short sum up some Differences and pros / cons compared to the CD Spellslinger if possible.

Also i only have gathered ca. 200 c so far (level 87). Would you recommend your build / is it possible with this kind of investement (f.e. 6 link-Body is 3,3 ex but i could get a 5-link for 30 c. Boots are too expensive so i would go for a rare one, etc.) or would you say "hmm if you only got 200 c just go for VD Spellslinger.
I also wonder if the survivability with 200c is that great when charging in with shield charge. As soon as i start dying a lot its no fun anymore :/

I also wanted to ask: Should we use Clarity even when running the clear Mind jewel. Because if we do that we lose the dmg Buff to spells?

Thanks very much for the cool and awesome Guide. :)
"
Quarkbag wrote:

Hello Mr. Gryph. Thank you very much for the Answer.
I started the league as a Summoner but dont like it that much. Now i want to switch to a caster build and stuggeling between the "Everyone playing VD Spellslinger" and your build right here.

Can you maybe short sum up some Differences and pros / cons compared to the CD Spellslinger if possible.

Also i only have gathered ca. 200 c so far (level 87). Would you recommend your build / is it possible with this kind of investement (f.e. 6 link-Body is 3,3 ex but i could get a 5-link for 30 c. Boots are too expensive so i would go for a rare one, etc.) or would you say "hmm if you only got 200 c just go for VD Spellslinger.
I also wonder if the survivability with 200c is that great when charging in with shield charge. As soon as i start dying a lot its no fun anymore :/

I also wanted to ask: Should we use Clarity even when running the clear Mind jewel. Because if we do that we lose the dmg Buff to spells?

Thanks very much for the cool and awesome Guide. :)

VD Spellslinger is really smooth playstyle and completely self-found gear viable. That said the damage can really fall off without some investment or transition to LL for auras.

But yeah, we get some nice mana defense layering with Agnostic for regen, Mind Over Matter, and massive regen. This goes on top of the block+life gain on block. Agnostic makes Lab traps a joke. :D

We also get to really interact with mechanics as we are DPSing without having to stand still as Cremation is a duration skill. We place them and walk around/dodge. Feels a lot like Vortex/Cold Snap in that regard.

As for Clarity, only use it if you have a Watcher's Eye. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with it and just use Clear Mind.

And yeah you can get this started with 200c. 5L COD, Foible, Kitava's Thirst, and some cheap rares will get you going. And then you have a lot to work towards too as this has a pretty high ceiling with investment.
Last edited by Gryphenprey on Jul 1, 2020, 5:57:46 AM
@Quarkbag : Don't worry, you can check my gear by checking my character, it's far from ''costy''. I have still a 5l, and all of my gear didnt cost that much. I'm saying that with your 200 chaos, you can start having fun with this build easely.

You see, I took a lil break from this character (that is now lvl 89) because I wanted to try another build, but today I came back to it as I prefer it, it is way tankier than the other build I was doing, and has more damage too, so the choice was easy.

As you can see my gear, i'll just say that with that, I can easely go charge in some packs of lvl 78 maps monsters without a problem. I just really need to watch for ele weakness curse : my current resist are around 65, so yeah i'm not even maxed... (yes I know that's still a problem i'm trying to fix, but even with that I don't die if that curse isnt there).

Gryph changed the build a lot in the past days, but those changes cost in exalts, and I have only around 2 exalt of currency, so I just try to keep farming for some to try to go toward those high-end gear.

---

@Gryph: Btw Gryph, I noticed you changed the position of Fevered jewel to the maurauder side with only 2 notables instead of 4. Doesn't that makes you do a lot less damage since the cost of skills are 40% less than with 4 notables ???
"
Manu_333 wrote:

@Gryph: Btw Gryph, I noticed you changed the position of Fevered jewel to the maurauder side with only 2 notables instead of 4. Doesn't that makes you do a lot less damage since the cost of skills are 40% less than with 4 notables ???

I made a pair of shaper gloves with faster casting support:

Hurray for Harvest crafting! Let me cycle through the caster mods in the suffix slot until I hit it. :D

Anyways, I put Desecrate in there so I could afford to drop 20% increased mana cost. This meant I could move Fevered Mind elsewhere freeing up the 2 really good mana nodes that were being replaced by its effect.

I saved 3 passive points, lost/gained no damage (seriously stayed about the same in POB), gained 6% spell block, and a massive chunk of mana+mana regen.

I then added in a Healthy Mind there as my defenses are already stellar and I just want more damage. HM equates to 23% more damage for me there at the loss of about 600 life.1200 EHP.

Currently I have a bunch of points I'm playing with trying to incorporate a cluster tree which will bring my damage up even more.

All told I'm boosting my damage from about 231k to 330k per hit with all this. hahahaha.

TL:DR
Get Shaper Faster Casting Gloves if you can and do the same thing.
Get Shaper influenced Life+Mana+Dex gloves and use Harvest method if needed. This one cost me about 230c to get the faster casting on the gloves by stalking trade 820. lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info