Why is Trade in PoE the way it is? A History?

As a disclaimer, I personally would greatly benefit from the existence of an AH in PoE. I know how to use auction houses, and I know how emergent market forces work in game economies. If an AH were introduced in PoE, I personally would feel that my experience had improved. Keep this in mind as you read on.

First of all, the feelings of confusion/puzzlement over the lack of an easy-to-use exchange system are completely normal, given that most games that allow exchange of https://mobdro.bio/ https://kodi.bio/ https://webhost.kim/bluehost/ items between players don't seemingly arbitrarily hold back the smoothness of their own trade system. It is a perfectly legitimate question to wonder why in the world GGG haven't taken any number of simple steps to assuage so many of the frustrations that exist with the current trade system. I can explain.

GGG and Chris Wilson himself have made official statements (and a manifesto) about this issue over the years. Trade as it exists now wasn't always so, and when GGG made PoE, they carried over the player-to-player barter style economy from Diablo 2, PoE's spiritual predecessor. At the time this was a perfect fit, and made sense. Veterans of Diablo 2 had yet another dose of familiarity in this system, and the ARPG scene in general wasn't thick enough with entries for such a system to seem out of place to new players, since there wasn't much else to compare it to. MMO's had moved onto AH style exchanges and had been there a while, but APRG's were rooted in a different place, so the difference wasn't so stark across genres.

GGG and Chris Wilson wanted a game where players interacted with the game, and with their loot. The orb system exemplifies this, with many ways in which to interact with the items that you personally get as drops, modifying them and molding them to your build (which should also be unique, given the extensive customizability of the tree and such). Exchanges could be made between players, but in the original view of the game, should be rare enough such that the majority of what you use still comes from what you get yourself. The drop quantity and quality of items in the game was balanced around this very idea. A by-design efficient trade system would go directly against this idea and Chris has directly stated himself that GGG would have to nerf drops by as much as 75% in a world with an instant trade system.
Last edited by MaverickThomas on May 28, 2020, 1:37:36 AM
Last bumped on May 28, 2020, 5:06:47 AM
"
As a disclaimer, I personally would greatly benefit from the existence of an AH in PoE. I know how to use auction houses, and I know how emergent market forces work in game economies. If an AH were introduced in PoE, I personally would feel that my experience had improved. Keep this in mind as you read on.

First of all, the feelings of confusion/puzzlement over the lack of an easy-to-use exchange system are completely normal, given that most games that allow exchange of items between players don't seemingly arbitrarily hold back the smoothness of their own trade system. It is a perfectly legitimate question to wonder why in the world GGG haven't taken any number of simple steps to assuage so many of the frustrations that exist with the current trade system. I can explain.

GGG and Chris Wilson himself have made official statements (and a manifesto) about this issue over the years. Trade as it exists now wasn't always so, and when GGG made PoE, they carried over the player-to-player barter style economy from Diablo 2, PoE's spiritual predecessor. At the time this was a perfect fit, and made sense. Veterans of Diablo 2 had yet another dose of familiarity in this system, and the ARPG scene in general wasn't thick enough with entries for such a system to seem out of place to new players, since there wasn't much else to compare it to. MMO's had moved onto AH style exchanges and had been there a while, but APRG's were rooted in a different place, so the difference wasn't so stark across genres.

GGG and Chris Wilson wanted a game where players interacted with the game, and with their loot. The orb system exemplifies this, with many ways in which to interact with the items that you personally get as drops, modifying them and molding them to your build (which should also be unique, given the extensive customizability of the tree and such). Exchanges could be made between players, but in the original view of the game, should be rare enough such that the majority of what you use still comes from what you get yourself. The drop quantity and quality of items in the game was balanced around this very idea. A by-design efficient trade system would go directly against this idea and Chris has directly stated himself that GGG would have to nerf drops by as much as 75% in a world with an instant trade system.

you can just "move" to China and use the P2P realm there and get the AH you want. :)
You joined the forums to post this?
Overall quite well written but I don't see the point.
Kogopero, is that you?
If you really want to know why it is the way it is first hand, play diablo 2. Most of the folks that complain about trade would never even make it to hell difficulty and the only runewords they'd see would have been made from the most common runes.

If that wasn't bad enough, then there's repeating the same handful of areas over and over and rarely seeing something actually worth picking up - which is almost a good thing given the lack of storage.

As annoyed as I get with trade, I'd take it over binding any day.
Yep, totally over league play.
This is a copy of a thread from Reddit, without giving attribution to the original author. What's more, it's a thread that was already posted here - by me in fact - in full, with credit to the original source.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2816421

Not cool.
Last edited by Exile009 on May 26, 2020, 2:18:01 PM
Im curious what they would nerf drops OF though. I cant remember the last time I really used an item in my finished character that simply dropped instead of being crafted, except obviously for uniques.

Do you guys get 6L chests with life/ES, resists, -mana cost just randomly dropping in maps?

Everything is fossil /chaos spammed / double corrupted etc.

If they want to cut the drop rate of white two tone boots which we use for crafting bases from 100 a day to 25, then by all means. I only sell 4 a day anyway in the leagues where I bother crafting.

Its all chicken little "Sky is falling" mentality because one of them had a bad experience in D3 once.
"
imanubcake wrote:
Kogopero, is that you?

O yea. What happened to that guy. Kinda miss him. He was so good at pissing people off.
"
imanubcake wrote:
Kogopero, is that you?

It's not a wall of text. More of a small fence of text I suppose. Also, the narcissism in the post is pretty limited. It also isn't a veiled attempt to advertise his channel.

Also, coherent.

That should be enough evidence to know whether or not your assumption is accurate.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info