[3.13] Storm Brand Necro. Retired no longer. All content viable and Whiskey Proof™

"
So I (finally) got this version up and running last night. It is nuts how different it feels from the Hiero version. A few questions:

1. I guess I really just need to see a video of it in action, but how much of the time are we using Cyclone? I was having trouble picking up loot and still making sure all 3 buttons were held down afterward.

2. Following up on that--when holding down all 3 buttons, I kept finding my Cyclone somehow interrupted, even when Arcane Cloak and Brand Recall were still firing regularly. I am guessing Cyclone behaves differently because it's a channelling skill and not an instant one? As someone who's never played a channelling build before, are there some basic gameplay tips I might be overlooking?

3. Also relatedly, if you're an idiot and not paying attention to the above studying and wind up without enough mana to start Cycloning again during battle, are you basically fucked? The only thing I could do was run away until my life was down to 1 so the drains would stop and I could regen mana again.

4. Also relatedly, do you see anything critical missing from my setup? I'll post PoB link later after work if that's easier to look at.

Thoughts:
1. Damage is nuts, just like Hiero but with much less investment.
2. Holy crap is it tanky when played correctly. It's crazy to see a character retry less than 4k life not even get scratched whirling through t16 madness.
3. Offering. Sounds. Omg.
4. That large cluster jewel is a bitch to craft.

1. Coming soon I promise! Footage I recorded previously was low fps and I'm stickier for quality.

2. Cyclone will only stop if you run out of mana, use a non-instant skill or let the button go. Flame dash could be a reason.

3.I find it hard to believe you ran out of mana in a normal map. Low or no-regen will give you quite a few problems. Cyclone costs like 8 mana so running out is quite hard.

4.let me are that POB
"
f1rstborn wrote:
"
So I (finally) got this version up and running last night. It is nuts how different it feels from the Hiero version. A few questions:

1. I guess I really just need to see a video of it in action, but how much of the time are we using Cyclone? I was having trouble picking up loot and still making sure all 3 buttons were held down afterward.

2. Following up on that--when holding down all 3 buttons, I kept finding my Cyclone somehow interrupted, even when Arcane Cloak and Brand Recall were still firing regularly. I am guessing Cyclone behaves differently because it's a channelling skill and not an instant one? As someone who's never played a channelling build before, are there some basic gameplay tips I might be overlooking?

3. Also relatedly, if you're an idiot and not paying attention to the above studying and wind up without enough mana to start Cycloning again during battle, are you basically fucked? The only thing I could do was run away until my life was down to 1 so the drains would stop and I could regen mana again.

4. Also relatedly, do you see anything critical missing from my setup? I'll post PoB link later after work if that's easier to look at.

Thoughts:
2. Holy crap is it tanky when played correctly. It's crazy to see a character retry less than 4k life not even get scratched whirling through t16 madness.

1. Coming soon I promise! Footage I recorded previously was low fps and I'm stickier for quality.

2. Cyclone will only stop if you run out of mana, use a non-instant skill or let the button go. Flame dash could be a reason.

3.I find it hard to believe you ran out of mana in a normal map. Low or no-regen will give you quite a few problems. Cyclone costs like 8 mana so running out is quite hard.

4.let me see that POB

OK, definitely understand why Frostblink over Flame Dash. Thank you for explaining that.

I threw everything together on Thursday night as best as I could without cannibalizing my Hiero build, so some gems aren't fully levelled and some rare gear is suboptimal--I but I think it should still be fully operational. (When I have more patience and more alts, I'll resume trying to craft a cluster jewel with both Corrosive Elements and Scintillating Idea.) Here's the PoB: https://pastebin.com/E0GrVCpa

It's probably not configured correctly because I'm still learning how all the mechanics work. Open to any advice here.

Regarding running out of mana, is there something wrong with my mana regen? Because of the interaction with Agnostic, just running RF on its own in my hideout (standing still with no other actions) will eventually drain all my mana--at which point I'm completely helpless--and then drain my life down to 1 and stay on. I literally have to unsocket the gem or leave my hideout to be able to use a skill. (Edit: mana doesn't regen in hideout even after unsocketing RF, so I have no clue what's going on.) I absolutely understand that this should not happen in actual combat if you're playing the build correctly and paying attention.

Two questions on your setup:
1. Vaal Cyclone: do we ever use it?
2. Your Clarity is not separated from your 4L, resulting in higher mana reservation: is this intentional?

Have to say thank you again; have followed both of your guides and both are excellent. You are clearly a master build-maker!
Last edited by WorderMostFoul on May 16, 2020, 1:14:08 PM
I know this is coming (soon?) to this guide, but in the meantime do you have any tips for a smooth leveling experience? When to pick up certain items/skills/passives, stuff like that. I'm relatively new to this game (this would be my third build) so I'm not fully familiar with efficient leveling.

Thanks!
"
"
f1rstborn wrote:
"

Thoughts:

4.let me see that POB

OK, definitely understand why Frostblink over Flame Dash. Thank you for explaining that.

I threw everything together on Thursday night as best as I could without cannibalizing my Hiero build, so some gems aren't fully levelled and some rare gear is suboptimal--I but I think it should still be fully operational. (When I have more patience and more alts, I'll resume trying to craft a cluster jewel with both Corrosive Elements and Scintillating Idea.) Here's the PoB: https://pastebin.com/E0GrVCpa

It's probably not configured correctly because I'm still learning how all the mechanics work. Open to any advice here.

Regarding running out of mana, is there something wrong with my mana regen? Because of the interaction with Agnostic, just running RF on its own in my hideout (standing still with no other actions) will eventually drain all my mana--at which point I'm completely helpless--and then drain my life down to 1 and stay on. I literally have to unsocket the gem or leave my hideout to be able to use a skill. (Edit: mana doesn't regen in hideout even after unsocketing RF, so I have no clue what's going on.) I absolutely understand that this should not happen in actual combat if you're playing the build correctly and paying attention.

Two questions on your setup:
1. Vaal Cyclone: do we ever use it?
2. Your Clarity is not separated from your 4L, resulting in higher mana reservation: is this intentional?

Have to say thank you again; have followed both of your guides and both are excellent. You are clearly a master build-maker!

Your mana has not quite hit the break on regen and this is fine. In a map, Essence glutton makes this a non-issue, amplified further by arcane surge and moving (stampede). To help this, increase your maximum mana [our regen is a % of total], take mana regen nodes (like the one above arcane will), and maybe you know...max that fire resist.

1. No, everytime i press it i die and feel a rush of regret.

2. Not intentional, definitely seperate it out.

Thank you! I hope to make many many more.
"
f1rstborn wrote:

Your mana has not quite hit the break on regen and this is fine. In a map, Essence glutton makes this a non-issue, amplified further by arcane surge and moving (stampede). To help this, increase your maximum mana [our regen is a % of total], take mana regen nodes (like the one above arcane will), and maybe you know...max that fire resist.

1. No, everytime i press it i die and feel a rush of regret.

2. Not intentional, definitely seperate it out.

Thank you! I hope to make many many more.

Ahh, I see. Thank you. I did notice I haven't broken the 9k mana point yet and wondered what effect that might have. Took the mana regen node you suggested. As far as resists, something is off in PoB--all elemental resists are actually 15% higher than they're showing, but I'm too lazy to figure out why.

Thanks for the response; very helpful, and most certainly appreciated!
I just started hc ssf and playing a very limited version of this build. It already feels very strong and tanky.

Currently using 5link Staff + Tabula (both can be farmed with div cards) and got very lucky to vaal a Fevered Mind even before Maps.
Just hit level 80 and killed the first conqueror.

So for anyone who is considering playing this in HC - so far it feels like the right choice!
AHA! I caught you boy! I swear I wasn't stalking.. I was just looking for a necro build for a friend and voila I saw this Storm Brand gathering attention so I opened, and the author was you! Incoming reroll in an hour to this..

Edit :
Do you think this is a good placement for Unnatural Instinct? @f1rstborn
Is it even worth using at all in this build? transferring 95% of Hierophant gear here.

Edit 2:

After a sh*t ton of resonators and lucent and metallic, I'm giving up for now, this is the best I got so far.
Last edited by CreedAventus on May 18, 2020, 7:51:21 AM
Hooo boi hooo jesus, i just tried the build, after wipe my coc shadow, hooo boi, hope returned, congratulations f1rstborn, you will make many children happy
What's the reasoning for keeping clarity lvl 1? Is the extra mana regen negligible compared to the extra mana reservation?
"
Louistje1 wrote:
What's the reasoning for keeping clarity lvl 1? Is the extra mana regen negligible compared to the extra mana reservation?

Exactly this. Reservation lowers arcane cloak and damage. The regen is statisticaly insignifcant due to diminishing returns with essence glutton.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info