[3.11] Devon's Muggle Bearbarian - Gruthkul's Pelt Cyclone | All content viable | 3M+ DPS

Updated for 3.11 as much as it can be for now. Redone the tree (pastebin below) and dropped Rallying cry as it uses exerted attacks (wasted on Cyclone that's a channeling skill) and we go for a single Warcry which is going to be an instant cast Enduring Cry.

Request for this build and the requirement for Gruthkul's pelt as mandatory was set by Graptharr. Thanks to him, this build came into existence.

Pros
+ works on a budget
+ boss killer
+ can do most map mods except Physical reflect
+ good sustain (leech)
+ tanky (9k+ effective life, Fortify + Soul of Steel)
+ SSF viable-ish (if you have Starforge and Gruthkul)
+ 2mil+ DPS (not counting the totem)

Cons
- maxing out can be somewhat expensive (Starforge, Vuln ring, Ryslatha,...)
- totem is a bit squishy and clunky

THE BUILD

How does it work?

GRUG THE BEARBARIAN USE NO SPELL - NO NEED SPELL TO KILL ENEMY - SHOUT BEST - NO FANCY WORD - ONLY SPIN!!

TAKE BIG ARMOR FROM BEAR AND FIGHT ENEMY - ENEMY NO KILL IF GRUG BIG ARMOR!!

BLUE GOO BAD - RED GOO GOOD!!

GIFs

Sirus, Awakener (A8)

Uber Elder

Video Showcase

https://youtu.be/GmRU7hY5Hlo

Path of Building - Pastabin

Note: If you feel like you want more damage then switch to "Ryslatha" Passive tree and gearset in PoB. The default one is the one shown in the videos and gifs.

Remember to get life leech on your Clusters or on your Gear.

The DPS is actually 10% more because of Vulnerability on your ring. It doesn't display this damage because of Gruthkul's Unique passive that considers all spells as inactive.
With the Ryslatha Alternative (passive tree + gearset) this goes even further beyond. You will lose quite a bit of survivability though.

localidentity1 fork
https://pastebin.com/J15PNT5M (updated for 3.11, 24.06)

Notes:
-still uses Starforge (which is gonna get a 20% less damage soon)
-the most likely alternative is going to be a Rare Exquisite 2H Sword which is getting a 16% more damage buff. *shrugs* An alternative can be a Starforge corrupted with the Fortify implicit
-still thinking between Blitz and Aspect of Carnage

Use this as much as you can, everything is inside. I even incorporated the Normal/Cruel/Merciless/Endgame trees, to the bottom left where it says "Endgame - Soul Tether", click on that and you can swap out the trees to see what you need to prioritize. Also here you can check out the whole tree, gear, gems, enchants, damage, etc. Basically you can see everything that I had and what you should aim for.

Leveling

General tips:

Spoiler
- Use one of these for leveling: Mana pots / Wurm's Molt leather belt / Praxis until you get Blood Magic
- prioritize Life and Resistances -> a good starting item is Goldrim, you can basically wear it to maps with the resists it provides, afterwards you want an armor based helm with life and resists
- boots should have movement speed -> Wanderlust are a great choice for starting out, later on equip armor boots with movespeed, life and some resistances
- remember to keep updating your Weapon/s (as with any attack skill)
- links are important, more links more damage -> at Act I you should have a 3L, at Act III a 4L and around Act V if you get lucky or buy one (shouldn't be too expensive) buy a 5L chest and throw an alch/essence on it

Guide:

Spoiler
At the very start go with Dual Wield (2x 1h weapons) and take Molten strike or anything similar, it's up to you preference honestly. Try to get a 3-link somewhere so it deals proper damage. Try to support it with Added fire + Ruthless, you will need 3 red sockets for that. You can also use a good 2h rare! When you see a big pack of monster clear them and keep going, Molten strike is great for single target as well. Remember to take Leap slam to be able to jump across gaps or ledges and after killing Brutus you will have access to War banner and Blood and sand. Use War Banner until you get Dread banner. Don't forget to update your weapons along the way.
Once you get the Siren's Cadance quest Nessa will give you Sweep or Sunder at the vendor. Both are excellent and will carry you further. I suggest you take that and equip it instead of Molten strike. If you have nice leveling 2h Rares or Uniques (2H) use them, examples: Shiversting, Edge of Madness, Rigwald's Charge. At least until you get Cyclone in act 3.

In act 2, pick up Flesh and Stone, Faster Attacks for Leap slam and Melee Physical damage for Sunder/Sweep. You probably wont have a 4L yet but that's the next support you should equip once you get it.

Once you get to act 3 get a 4-link item. Keep checking the shop for 4Ls and watch if a 4L drops from monsters. Cyclone is a Green gem and because of that the 4L item will need to be colored GRRB (doesn't need to be in that order, just those colors). Furthermore, Ruthless cannot support Cyclone so you need to switch Ruthless for Melee Physical Damage. Now your 4L item should be linked like this: Cyclone + Fortify (from Siosa in library) + Melee Physical + Infused Channeling. Buy Impale (if you can) from Siosa for later on.
You should be closing in on lvl33 by now which means you can equip Gruthkul's Pelt. Once you equip this chest, all of your auras are gone and you can comfortably switch to Blood magic and keep spinning indefinitely.
Once you kill Piety or finish act 3 you can go and solve all the trials and do the normal labyrinth.

At act 4 after you kill Malachai buy the Brutality support from Petarus and Vanja and replace Melee Phys. Try to have your resistances as high as possible in preparation for act 5.

Act 5+ aim to get a 5L body armour or a weapon (Gruthkul's preferably) so you can do even more damage. The links with a 5L should be like this: Cyclone + Brutality + Fortify + Infused Channeling + Impale, which means the colors should be GGRRB (doesn't need to be in that specific order, just those colors).

Around act 6 the weapon Rigwald's Charge can be a great asset.
After completing the Fallen from Grace quest you will have access to all gems from Lani. From here on out try to setup the gems as I have them listed in PoB. It's not extremely important but you should have it done by the time you reach maps, aka the end of act 10.

At act 7 you can get the rest of the trials and go for Cruel labyrinth.

Before going for Kitava in act 10 you can try to do the Merciless Lab since you wont have Kitava's curse yet.
Until you get Starforge, consider using either Doomsower or Terminus Est.

And that's about it :)

Passive Tree, Bandits and Pantheon

Passive Tree

Bandits

GRUG NO HELP - ONLY BEAT!!

Kill all - 2 passive nodes - the build is already stretched thin for nodes so this is highly recommended

Pantheon

I mostly go with: Lunaris + Shakari

Alternative Lunaris + Gurukhan - Just for the move speed (gottagofast).

Shakari is great vs chaos and poison obv.
Gurukhan provides some weak evasion that's walled behind a "when you take a savage hit" condition but the movespeed is useful.
Grutkhul is somewhat consistent tankiness.

All Links

Preferably use a 21/23 Cyclone gem. (Vaal alternative is available but it's not that good in my opinion)
For Ancestral Warchief chose if you want 21/20 or just a 20/20 Vaal.

[from most important to least, prioritize like this]

Cyclone (6L) = Brutality > Fortify > Infused Channeling > Impale > Close Combat

Ancestral Warchief (6L) = Maim > Brutality > Impale > Conc Effect > Close Combat

2L+2L - Tombfist Gloves = Leap Slam (20/20) + Faster Attacks (20/20) + Murderous Eye Jewel + Searching Eye Jewel [Both jewels are important!]

4L = Vengeance (20/20) + Life on Hit (21/23) + Rage (20) + Maim (21/0)

4L = Rallying Cry (20/20) + Enduring Cry (20/20) + Second Wind (20/20) + Increased Duration (20/20)

Gear (My current gear)

Vulnerability curse on hit mod on a ring is prefered

Good Unique Swords that you can use before Starforge are: Doomsower and Kondo's Pride.

Best in Slot (BiS) weapon is Starforge.

Flasks

Anointment:

Battle Cry - Necessary for instant shouts

SHOUT FOR DAMAGE - SHOUT FOR IGNORE PAIN - BE LIKE GRUG

Personal achievements with the build:

[3.10 - Delirium]
-killed all Conquerors on A8 (deathless)
-killed Sirus on A8 (died once)
-killed Elder (deathless)
-killed Uber Elder (died twice)

Check out my other guides:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2724153
"Let your smile change the world, but don't let the world change your smile." -unknown
"The Emperor beckons and the world attends." -Izaro
"Shine boldly so that all may find you when the night falls." -Izaro
Last edited by devon752 on Jun 24, 2020, 12:18:19 PM
Last bumped on Oct 4, 2020, 3:36:40 AM
Kite Man, Hell Yeah!
"
dougch wrote:
Kite Man, Hell Yeah!

Haha, fun build m8. Really nice idea :D
"Let your smile change the world, but don't let the world change your smile." -unknown
Would you consider the build to be hc viable?
"
Trel96 wrote:
Would you consider the build to be hc viable?

Likely yes but I don't want to state it because I personally haven't tried it. The Soul Tether version is very tanky and should be HC viable. But as I said, haven't tried it.
Why do you have Point Blank? what jewel are you using in that socket next to it? I'm assuming a legion jewel as they don't show in PoB or the passive tree on this site.
"
DeathAngelRoW wrote:
Why do you have Point Blank? what jewel are you using in that socket next to it? I'm assuming a legion jewel as they don't show in PoB or the passive tree on this site.

Correct, Glorious Vanity, in the name of Doryani to get corrupted soul which will give you 20% of life as extra ES.

It shows in PoB.
I think I have to update my PoB! thank you!
Thank you very much for this build, good continuation, i will continue to follow your work :)
"
dragonfroid wrote:
Thank you very much for this build, good continuation, i will continue to follow your work :)

Thank you <3

I'll continue making it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info