Why you pay so much money?

"
Neokolzia wrote:
I payed so much, and plan still to pay more for Diamond,

Simply to take the opportunity to help fund a game that will hopefully be a thorn in Blizzards side.

Diablo 3 shouldn't be a victory for Blizzard, they took the essence of the game, that had only been successful from its fans way back when, and debaucherized it to meet their market standards, with complete ignorance to who made Diablo what Diablo is today.

The Players.

Who are we to judge 'should be'? I've no doubt Blizzard has worked very hard on Diablo 3. A lot of money, man-hours, etc etc. It deserves to be the success it will be.

Path of Exile just needs a little nudge here and there to be the success it will be too. It's the underdog, but not the hopeless. It's had help, it has passionate people behind it. And, as is very clear, it has a very faithful, supportive fanbase.

...That should be enough. I'd advise against seeing this as a two-horse race. It's more like two horses going in different, but not opposite, directions. Both horses have their purpose and both horses are in demand.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
"
Neokolzia wrote:
I payed so much, and plan still to pay more for Diamond,

Simply to take the opportunity to help fund a game that will hopefully be a thorn in Blizzards side.

Diablo 3 shouldn't be a victory for Blizzard, they took the essence of the game, that had only been successful from its fans way back when, and debaucherized it to meet their market standards, with complete ignorance to who made Diablo what Diablo is today.

The Players.

Who are we to judge 'should be'? I've no doubt Blizzard has worked very hard on Diablo 3. A lot of money, man-hours, etc etc. It deserves to be the success it will be.

Path of Exile just needs a little nudge here and there to be the success it will be too. It's the underdog, but not the hopeless. It's had help, it has passionate people behind it. And, as is very clear, it has a very faithful, supportive fanbase.

...That should be enough. I'd advise against seeing this as a two-horse race. It's more like two horses going in different, but not opposite, directions. Both horses have their purpose and both horses are in demand.

Oh I agree completely, its not that I even think they should compete. It is blatantly obvious they are different games aimed at completely different groups of people.

Though it wouldn't be deniable that they still get compared since PoE is derived from one of the forefathers of the genre, and D3 is the suppose sequel to it.

GGG has been one of the first game companies I've seen in a good while that has a fresh feeling. Its when game companies start putting market stats before the players who support them is when I feel the companies start to become corrupt. Which I've seen time and time again across numerous games.

I don't think D3 will fail, it is a high caliber game produced by one of the leaders in MMO's, that alone they could have produced Hello Kitty Online 2 and been extremely successful, they have the brand name after all.

Do I want that brand name slowing down or hindering the production of what PoE could be, absolutely not. They are 2 different games and players will have to figure that out themselves as both games release and make impact on players decision on both games.

In any case, there is still going to be heat between the two games until they can distinguish themselves. Especially as players figure out which game is really for them.

I just wish PoE can make a big enough mark to draw attention from the Diablo 3 Fanbase, to represent what the true spirit of Diablo should look like.
"
xytor wrote:
As for the money itself, I pay 1k rent, 300 food and 500 loans. Which leaves me like 500 to do whatever I want with... which is usually video games. In reality most of it just gathers dust in the bank, so who cares?

I'd be the last person to tell you not to spend money on video games, but as an older person I do want to remind you to put some money away for retirement every month as well... so you can still play video games when you're 80 ;)

"Gathering dust in the bank" is really about making sure you can afford to play during those years when you'll really have the time for it.
"
Srkandi wrote:
"
xytor wrote:
As for the money itself, I pay 1k rent, 300 food and 500 loans. Which leaves me like 500 to do whatever I want with... which is usually video games. In reality most of it just gathers dust in the bank, so who cares?

I'd be the last person to tell you not to spend money on video games, but as an older person I do want to remind you to put some money away for retirement every month as well... so you can still play video games when you're 80 ;)

"Gathering dust in the bank" is really about making sure you can afford to play during those years when you'll really have the time for it.

Sagacious advice.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Over 9000 respect to Charan for his/(her?) posts in this thread.

To OP: Well, its none of your business, if put bluntly. As for my reasoning, why I spent money, is the same for reasons people have posted over and over again. Simply, I wanted to support the GGG for giving us an opportunity to play this ARPG which resembles Diablo 2, BUT puts a twist in it. As for buying early beta access, I don't see it that way, people keep ignoring the fact that its basically just getting the IM currency ready for the upcoming IM updates or jsut for a pack-rats like me who likes to keep stuff (stash upgrades).

His, heh.

As a related note, I have a very, VERY talented artist at GGG working on my unique -- he's sent me quite a few drafts and versions and takes all my feedback on board. I've had lengthy dialogues with several of the devs over the stats, the balancing, everything. At no point have I felt that what was promised was not delivered.

Sure, a grand was a lot, but I think I knew the moment I put it down that I would be getting my idea of 'my money's worth.' It helps that I spent a long time thinking about what I want made and can give detailed feedback and contribute to the process -- but the devs have been almost painfully forgiving of my demands and requests.

I don't think a thousand dollars is very much in the grander scheme of Path of Exile's inception and evolution. I hope it was enough, though, to justify me pestering the poor bastards at GGG left and right. :)

- I already had beta access, that wasn't a factor
- I'm a collector, so I wanted to get the physical items
- I really like this game and wanted to support GGG
- I admit, I want to see my name in the credits because I'm such a fan of what is being done here :)

I've paid $60+ for games that I haven't been half as excited about, so the thought of paying $250 for PoE AND getting MT-currency at the same time seemed like a no-brainer for me, but everyone's situation is different.
Diamond Supporters, have u asks the Devs if u could make a Flask Unqiue?
A good, but not OP, Unqiue Flasks could be something u would use from lvl 10 to the end :D
IGN: kReiZy
"
sYkoDe4d wrote:
Diamond Supporters, have u asks the Devs if u could make a Flask Unqiue?
A good, but not OP, Unqiue Flasks could be something u would use from lvl 10 to the end :D

I have actually discussed it with another Diamond, actually. Not sure how far they took the idea, though.

Hmmmmm...
(Beware the wall of text)

There are lots of things I would like to say regarding why I got Gold....

Most of which charan has said and I totaly agree with(Aside from GW2, I played GW1 for 6 year's...And now they turned it into WoW 2.0... Betrayal to me that game is and D3 is no better, I played gw since beta)

The $250 I spent on this game?

Nothing....

That is what $250 means to me...

I dont say that like, "I have loads of money hahaha" As I dont have loads of money as a recent graduate. I mean it like.... "Ive pissed $250 up the wall on worse things that have made me feel worse"....

I brought a GPU from a online company for $600, got scammed...
I spent $300+ on Guild Wars and play for 6000+ hours for them to just piss around for 4 years and then provide me with GW2/wow 2.0.......
An oil change for my BMW....
A rediculasly expensive computer that current games cannot even utilise....
$120+ Games that suck...multiple times over the years..
My fiancee's shopping spree's....
A speeding ticket....
CLOTHES!.

All that crap just makes me feel bad......

Hell the best things Ive ever brought were my car, my son(Not that I brought him, but hes "f"ing expensive), gas for my car, a comfortable keyboard and mouse, a good gaming screen, a comfy chair and fooooodddddd.....And a peice of paper that took a year to obtain that told employer's "I knew what I already knew"(Actualy that last one just pissed me off but after I was relieved).....

And now I make(What I consider) a cozy living off pimping off my idea's and solving other peoples problems every so often.

Like I said, I have a life that I consider luxury(Though its pritty budget)... And at the end of the day, I buy whatever makes me feel better about me, and makes me happy. Otherwise I would just feel like sh*t, nomatter how "Jew" I try to be about it.

The signed sh*t I get is going on a wall....(And being removed if this game sell's out)...lol.

The gold kiwi is worth the $250 and even Charan knowz it lol. He would probably use the gold kiwi if he could. And its a great way to prove beta-ship after beta's ova.

The fact that GGG get $250 out of that just makes me feel good.... As I can tell you now, that the people they employ and need to be paid get......at minimum, 40,000+...thus maybee 3-4 people get paid off the 200k they have made so far....woooooooowwwww....as if that really paid for anything.(Sarcasim).....

I think the better questions here should be "Why bother bitching about people spending money on a game that is willing to provide them joy/satisfaction?" And trust me, all the money you got wont bring you that.

But here GGG are, making this free.......A game comparitivly worth $80+ on release..... they will do for free.......... Where as bigger studio's with ALOT less to lose, wouldnt give that concept a second look let alone a thought.

Throw in all the copyright infringement bullshit thats been going around lately because of "f"ed up coorperate business models.....

That last mear fact would have been enough for me to want to pat them on the back and give them $100+ for nothing in return....

If people still think thats crazy, I urdge you to find a mirror quick and check your perspective on life.(It would only benefit you). Not that you have to if your not into it.

www.tachi203.com : For live streams, gameplay, news of me +(.

It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence. - Mohandas Gandhi
Last edited by tachi203 on Apr 20, 2012, 11:48:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info