Why you pay so much money?

"
Disillusioned wrote:
I think it's silly to pass judgment on how people choose to spend their money. When you consider all the ways people can end up wasting it (gambling, pyramid schemes, drugs/alcohol addictions, etc.) I would personally say people gathering to support a small development team that has proven that they can make a professional-looking and feeling game in a genre that has had very few alternatives and deliver in the gameplay department is a much better spending of currency and shows devotion to the product.

So, what's my excuse? I'm a poor university student that due to current situations cannot afford to be a little more hedonistic with my limited funds.

I've said much the same thing elsewhere, and remember my undergrad days (does anyone but a post-grad student refer to university with that word?) as pretty skint indeed.

Despite some rather vicious commentary directed my way (and I assume at the other diamonds, if not some golds), the majority of people who even talk about it to me are positive about it. They say they wish they could. Would if they could. I could, so I did. For those who can't and shouldn't. Doesn't mean I'm any more devoted to the game or anything, just that how I show any sort of devotion takes a different form. I guarantee there are some, if not many, beta and alpha testers who haven't spent a cent on this game who have done more good for it than I ever will with their testing, feedback and effort. I took the easy way out when it comes to support; I am more than aware of that.

Forget about the supporters for a bit here. Even the golds, even the diamonds. Whatever generosity they have shown is seriously dwarfed by how much this game is costing to make. Who can account for such things? The private investors might not be more 'charitable' than the supporters (after all, they're expecting dividends) but without them, we wouldn't be at this position today. So many poor university students (to give but one example) wouldn't have the chance to play this game, nascent though it is, INCOMPLETE though it shall remain for some time yet.

There's an ultimate answer to the question posed by the OP. It should come as a surprise to no one. "Why you pay so much money?" -- because there was no real price-tag to begin with. The game will be free. Ten dollars to play the beta, to gain early access, and then be refunded that ten dollars in the form of aesthetic game currency? No one should feel that is outrageous at all. Had this been the only package offered, I would have bought a lot of them. Maybe not a hundred, but a lot. And my reasoning can be found in my absolute first post on this forum, quoted from this thread, which called for a joke to be told to earn a beta key: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/22964:

"You want a joke? Having to do outrageous things like tell jokes, trawl through a mass of babble, beg or spam on a forum just to try out a game that will eventually be free to play and yet from what I can tell so far will be good enough that I'd pay for it anyway. Which is more than I can say for certain other games made by certain other companies which I've supported financially since 1997 and the beginning of Battle.net, but have totally lost their vision and the love of the true fans.

There, a joke just for you."

Had there only been a diamond package and it included 100 keys and naught else, I would have gotten that to save 100 people having to do the sort of idiotic crap you find in the beta invite forum. But at $10, I just can't bring myself to play 'santa'; it's too low a figure to justify. Anyone who can't afford $10 to play the beta version of this game shouldn't be wasting their time playing it. Period.

Anyone who can afford $10 and won't pay it, the same. This includes the incredulous trolls, the detractors, the naysayers. The whole lot of them.

And anyone who thinks the diamonds did it 'just for a unique item' or a 'diamond kiwi' hasn't been reading a word of what I just said.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 16, 2012, 11:15:18 PM
"
Should artists sell stock in themselves? Would that improve art? How about musicians?
I regret to say that these days the idea is for everyone to be their own personal "brand".

And if artists choose to create art that ends up requiring hundreds of thousands of dollars to generate, then selling stock in themselves might be a better option to being consumed by Vivendi...

"
Had there only been a diamond package and it included 100 keys and naught else, I would have gotten that to save 100 people having to do the sort of idiotic crap you find in the beta invite forum.

Can I haz some of your 100 keys, plz? Oh. Wait. You don't have Diamond 100 keys?!? Oh my! Whatever will I do?

By the way. I have a bone to pick with you. I already thought I was insanely stupid for going Silver. But then you had to point out how cool the Gold Kiwis look! Curse you...

I used to be all about the cheapest deals. Now, I do more to support small, family businesses. Then again I'm fortunate in that I can afford to. Also, I used to be more willing/able to donate volunteer time than money. Now time is more dear to me.

And who knows, maybe GGG will get all the dark fantasy out of their system and go on to make a heroic fantasy game. (What Titan Quest could have been, if the devs didn't really want to make a more modern Diablo clone.)
Running heists fully zoomed in... because
So you're saying GGG is going through an emo phase?

...That cracks me up. If so, it's an earlier emo phase, maybe more like a goth or grunge one, with far more productivity and enraged disenfranchisement, and far less moping and self-pity. And marginally better hair.

Look on the bright side, though: at least they're not going through a raving, neon-bright, ecstasy-fuelled phase like ThatOtherCompany, which has emerged from its dark, introspective 'teenage' period into the overpaid, bored-as-hell early 20s with nothing to do but spend its fortunes on crazy drugs and parties, all the while reminiscing on the 'good old days' when Tristram was a nice place to live.

The dark side IS the bright side.

And you KNOW the gold kiwi looks awesome. That's NOT my fault.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I dunno how it is for other folks who have had the luxury of an extra Beta Key (or three), but it has always been a great pleasure to give them away to members I thought would enjoy them. I actually had the opportunity several times before the Supporter packages were available, so I knew how that felt.

Paying $100 for a Silver Supporter package not only got me three more keys to give away (already gone, folks!), but I also got to have that great feeling again, in supporting GGG. It was my money, and my decision. If my finances were such that I could've, I might also have gone for Diamond, but I still take great satisfaction in my contribution. The fact that GGG has rewarded me with a few additional perks (aside from the Cash Shop credits, for which my money paid) is just a bonus. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Let me just say that 5 was nowhere near enough.

But then again, neither would have been 50.

So 5 made me selective.

And then they made me feel like a jerk for turning down everyone else who asked.

(I still buy a couple here and there for people if they make really good posts. Not because they ask for one...perhaps precisely because they don't.)

"
vanwavanwa wrote:
No matter how you guys try to justify it:

SPENDING $1000 ON A BETA FOR A UNIQUE ITEM IN THE FINAL GAME IS STUPID AS HELL.

That is all.

Don't reply, say nothing.

Excuse me for being blunt, but does this make you feel better about yourself for trying to call people's decisions "STUPED AS HELL" for simply helping out a fantastic Indie game developer?

Im sure if GGG's had enough funds to make PoE a sucess with the closed beta, open beta and final release, they would have no need to ask for donations. Its all about helping this game not to fail after a few years into its final realease.

There will always be people out there (such as yourself) who have nothing beter to do than create hacks and issues for the game.

I personally would LOVE to become a Diamond supporter, it would be a honour. Simlpy because I know my money would be well used to help this game be a success. Patches are essential in games such as MMORPG's and ARPG's. Especially when they are going to be Free To Play.

I could go on and on about how much a hate your opinion on the option of spending $1000, but lets face it.

You. are. a. TROLL.

Why bother posting things such as this, when all you are going to recieve in return is the honest opinions of gamers that are passionate about a good community.

Get off your high horse, and spend $1000 on getting a new set things to do, instead of getting on this great community's nervs.

Log off and Shut down your computer.
Nothing but time on my watch.
Last edited by Iluxx on Apr 17, 2012, 3:28:47 AM
In its defence, Iluxx, it did try to PM me the same question. I naturally chose not to engage in what appeared to be a waste of time in the making. I don't think trolls generally move out of the spotlight and target people privately.

That or maybe it had no idea how easily I'd be able to disengage. Who knows. Either way. I don't think it's a troll per se, just someone who clearly sees a thousand dollars very differently to other people. I can understand that.

What I can't understand is why me and not Donald Trump. Surely they could find Donald Trump's email somewhere, or at least some sort of fan club to take on. Yeesh.

OR even better, Bill Gates. Or Mark Zuckerberg. Or anyone in the Forbes 500.

Oh well. I think I've about exhausted this topic.

"
In its defence, Iluxx, it did try to PM me the same question. I naturally chose not to engage in what appeared to be a waste of time in the making. I don't think trolls generally move out of the spotlight and target people privately.

That or maybe it had no idea how easily I'd be able to disengage. Who knows. Either way. I don't think it's a troll per se, just someone who clearly sees a thousand dollars very differently to other people. I can understand that.

What I can't understand is why me and not Donald Trump. Surely they could find Donald Trump's email somewhere, or at least some sort of fan club to take on. Yeesh.

OR even better, Bill Gates. Or Mark Zuckerberg. Or anyone in the Forbes 500.

Oh well. I think I've about exhausted this topic.

Meh. Troll is troll. Click on his profile and read his posts.

A forum troll is much like the joke about the kid so ugly the family dog won't play with him unless you tie a pork chop around his neck. Without some form of provocation, he is simply incapable of engaging with others. Sad, really. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Last edited by Raycheetah on Apr 17, 2012, 4:11:09 AM
...I hadn't actually looked at its posting history. There's one in there addressed to me I'd never seen, on a now closed thread. That's hilarious. It called me 'bro'. That's a big flashing alarm in my venerable internet experience.

Okay, it's a troll.

You are a champion CharanJaydemyr.

People such as yourself are a asset to a great gaming community.
Nothing but time on my watch.
Last edited by Iluxx on Apr 17, 2012, 4:22:47 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info