Why you pay so much money?

I have only donated $10 myself so far, but I plan on upgrading to $25 pretty soon. I don't have enough funds to throw hundreds of dollars at this game (although I wish I could) but I certainly see why some people have. It's a great game, with excellent potential and the concept behind the game is something that is easy to get behind.

I was a bit blown away by the option to donate $1000, and especially the fact that so many have already. I then thought about it a bit more and realized if I had even say $10,000 savings in the bank and a bit more security..I would probably do the same thing. I love this type of game, and if I had enough funds, I would be very happy to support it as long as it didn't drastically impact my finacial sistuation. There are plenty of people I know who also like this kind of game...and are way better off finacially then me.

Many people have more then $1k they blow on entertainment per month...and so supporting a game they plan on playing for a long time, that they believe in and that they know will be great entertainment for many other people who don't have as much money (especially since it's free to play) is not a hard choice.

I'm not rich, but I will happily donate more towards this game then I would pay for most just because it is free for everyone...including those who have even less money then me. Paying more to allow everyone to have fun is very worth it in my opinion.

$1000 seems like alot to me. I don't spend that much on entertainment a year...let alone on video games....but that is not the case for everyone....and I certainly appreciate those who are able to donate so much.
I played and plan to pay more, because I love the genre and am appalled by what D3 is about to do to the genre.

I will fund the best I can any resistance against how D3 is trying to rewrite the genre with there Easy non-sense.
Two words:

Unique. Item.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
It really disappoints me how many people seem unable to comprehend folks putting money into helping small companies get up and running, particularly companies which show pride in crafts-personship.

I regularly buy food from the local grocery store even though it is more expensive than the big chain store - just to support a small local company with good service.

Don't want to get all preachy but I sometimes wonder what values people are picking up when they can't even conceive of the reasons for this. I can appreciate their not agreeing, but not even being able to imagine why?
"
boostermanni wrote:

Just pure nutty insanity!

You wanna see pure nutty insanity? Huh?! Do ya!?

Here ya go:

http://www.dealdash.com/

Go have fun buddy.
Last edited by Braindome on Apr 15, 2012, 6:54:12 PM
a few things on my list why I donated before game is launched..

1) Game is fun to play and is still early in its life. Yes you can say it's been in beta for over a year but at the same time the team size and company making it are small.

2) The company that is making this game is actually listening to people that play the game. Feedback sections are open in friendly. (unlike another company that just does what it wants no matter how many people raise hell)

3) Support for smaller groups that don't have big labels behind them.. Activision, EA, ETC... Small team wanting to make a kick ass game.. Rather then a big company to cash on its franchise and desert it's old playerbase.. (not all big ones tho)

4) Why the hell not? I have extra income and a good job that makes me live better then comfortable.. I don't play everyday but I do check the forums at least once a day if I can..

5) People supporting the development team helps the people that cannot afford to.. If no one can help support the company making the game they would have to force a PAY to play or Pay to own.. Yes, microtransaction stuff is in the game but the more the support the better the end product..

Lastly make your own game and see how hard it is to get support and up and running. Servers, investors, employees, Own cost, etc...

Also to everyone supporting POE from 10 bucks to 10k plus.. Thanks for making a game I like better and help it's future..

If there is a Hell! I'll see you there!
"
Necx wrote:
a few things on my list why I donated before game is launched..

3) Support for smaller groups that don't have big labels behind them.. Activision, EA, ETC... Small team wanting to make a kick ass game.. Rather then a big company to cash on its franchise and desert it's old playerbase.. (not all big ones tho)

Mainly this one for me.
If I had $1000 to burn and strong belief in the company, I'd rather buy stock than a supporter pack.

The smaller support packs are cheaper than Diablo 3, though. So they're worth it for some people, considering some people like this game more than Diablo 3. Not everyone though, but then again not everyone likes Diablo 3 either. To each their own.
"
Silty wrote:
If I had $1000 to burn and strong belief in the company, I'd rather buy stock than a supporter pack.

The smaller support packs are cheaper than Diablo 3, though. So they're worth it for some people, considering some people like this game more than Diablo 3. Not everyone though, but then again not everyone likes Diablo 3 either. To each their own.

I explained elsewhere why I decided against buying stock in GGG, although I did consider it. Long story short (that's oldmanspeak for 'tl;dr'...sort of), I'd rather remain a fan than anything else. I would enjoy this a LOT less if I had something more than my Diablo-addiction being sated at stake.

I just happen to be a fan who wanted a very small part in the development of the game and could, at the time, take the steps necessary to obtain that. You can consider every pre-purchase an investment, regardless of the value. An investment in the future of what really does appear to be a very dedicated, very passionate team of game creators. What better cause for gamers to get behind than that?

Also...

Did I mention...Unique...Item?
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 15, 2012, 7:34:22 PM
It's about supporting a small company that is developing an epic game, a company that without this support probably wouldn't make it http://www.grindinggear.com/?page=staff. GGG isn't Blizzard, they are a small team developing a single game.

Diablo 3 has severely disappointed me and I feel like Path Of Exile is far more true to the Diablo series than Diablo 3 is itself. So I'm happy to contribute what I can to help with the development of a game that I expect to play for many many MANY hours... And I'm a big supporter of Free To Play games, especially when they're done right.

While POE is F2P, it is not P2W (pay to win). Not only that, they don't force it onto you, like All Points Bulletin does, throwing big annoying advertisements at you after every achievement begging you to upgrade. APB turned me off right away after seeing that. Path Of Exile was the opposite, in fact they only started accepting support recently, and after over 200 hours of playing, I really wanted to give something back.

I wish I could have given more, as I've only given $25 for now, when I start playing POE again (when Act 3 is out), I'll definitely donate a lot more. They just need to keep in the same direction they're going... I expect to spend lots of money on this game. That way it can stay Free To Play and those who can't afford to part with any money can continue enjoying a great game, for free.
"It's a harsh, difficult world. You have to be prepared for it. We're not babying the players."
- Chris Wilson - Producer, Lead Designer @ Grinding Gear Games

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info