Why you pay so much money?

Hi folks!

I just follow this game since a few weeks and I registered me in the past days, because I got a very interesting question to all the people they pay too much money in my opinion.
I'm old enough to pay my own bills, so don't think about to tell me I'm a kid. ^_~

The fact is:
I can understand to pay for a game which is NOT in beta!
I can not understand to pay for a game which is IN beta!
BUT I can follow some moods of gamerZ they wanna play now and not in a few months, so the option for 10 USD seems ok for some people.
Maybe 15 USD, too, because of the o.s.t.!

But all other options are pure insane to me, especially 100, 250 and 1000 USD!

There are people (seems w/o real life, but where from is the money then?) they paid 1000 USD....
Just pure nutty insanity!
You get not really much for it and if beta closed you experienced a char-whipe.

The question is:
So the question is to all the people out there who have paid more than 100 USD:

Why you pay so much money in it and what do you expect from that?

Thx!

P.s.: Of course you can write where you get the money from, BUT that's a free option!
It's an investment to support GGG's efforts towards making the game great. The return isn't just in game points and swag, but also in the satisfaction gained from helping an indie developer achieve their goal of making a successful game.

Also, the game is entirely free to play. Spending some points in the cash shop before the game is out is no different from buying after release, if you know you'll be playing the game.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Apr 15, 2012, 12:41:06 PM
Because the game is awesome and we want to support its development.

As for the money itself, I pay 1k rent, 300 food and 500 loans. Which leaves me like 500 to do whatever I want with... which is usually video games. In reality most of it just gathers dust in the bank, so who cares?

I think the underlying question here is: "Do characters get wiped before release?" And more importantly: "Regardless of if characters get wiped, do we keep our microtransaction purchases or get refunded the points?"

I actually don't know the answers... does anybody?
Last edited by xytor on Apr 15, 2012, 1:02:04 PM
Chars will be wiped when open Beta starts, you only keep your points or already bought things.
"
Why you pay so much money?

Not because we have to, but we want to. We believe what GGG believes about a good ARPG. The trick is not to do business with everybody who might need what you have, but with everybody who believes what you believe.

Watch this, it is similar to people buying 40k flatscreen TVs when they first came out or standing in line for hours for a new product when they could have bought it off the shelf the next day. People don't buy what you do (the Kiwis etc.), they buy why you do it. To me it has been like waking up from a video game industry nightmare, with suddenly some random guys from New Zealand popping up and ignoring the faulty state of the industry, doing everything like it is 2000 again (while applying fresh ideas), where player choice, clever trading and knowledge about the game trumped the mindless repitition of tasks. Also, GGG is excellent at communicating from the inside out, as explained in the video. If you talk about what you believe, you attract those who believe what you believe.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on Apr 15, 2012, 2:21:26 PM
If i had the money, i would support the Company just for having the guts of making a game for gaming nerds, and not the massmarket^^
You're thinking about those higher end options like a product, which is not quite the right view. Look to the recent Kickstarter programs to get a better idea of why those options are there.

The games industry has players and even industry members themselves who play these games, and some of those players have more money than they may know what to do with. The lower end options are for your average bloke who wants to support the game or maybe just score a quick beta key, the middling options maybe for the bigger fans that don't buy a ton of games and want to invest a bit more money than most in, and the higher options for those with money to burn and who like the game and want to invest and support something they enjoy or this particular segment of the industry.

It should also be noted that the rewards are not being wiped, only the characters/standard items.

Like I said, think of it more as a donation with perks than a product you're buying and it may make a bit more sense. If people were dumping 1k into the game that they didn't have just to get a silver pet, then yeah, that would be nuts, but that's not the case (at least I hope not.)

Honestly, if I had that kind of money, amongst other things I'd gladly have put in for one of the diamond packs simply because I like what is being done here. In a stagnating industry, they're willing to make the game they want and that gamers want, rather than rehashing the same formulas and simplifying things for a mass market. (though the bonuses are rather nice as well =p).
Last edited by Valkesh on Apr 15, 2012, 2:20:17 PM
For the pet kiwis obviously, if the gold one was $100 I actually would have paid that much :p

In any case I usually spend $50 or more on a game anyway. If I can pay that now to help along the development of the game to become even greater I will. I have enjoyed playing this game more then the competition so I feel my money is better spent here then elsewhere.
A few reasons, one of them being my impatience to play the game, yes. Though i did not 'buy' the access to the Beta.

I want this game to work and succeed, and a free to play game needs a community that pays for the paid services the game does render. The lead developer, Chris. Put his life savings into making this game (I heard from someone else), that's a much, much bigger risk than i'm taking by putting down some money supporting a game i've grown to love.

Also, you are not 'buying' the game. All you do is buy points you can spend in the micro-transactions store, and get access into the beta and other bonuses added.

( 1 point = 0.10 USD) Buying the 'early access' pack gives you 100 points, 100* 0,10 = 10 USD. All you're doing is buying credits/points you can use later to purchase items in the in-game store. Consider it putting money on your pay-pal in advance before you buy something, just get bonuses to do so...

Edit: Your character will be wiped at the end of the CLOSED beta. They will reset your character so you keep your name and empty your stash. You will keep any additional stash tabs, character slots you bought, and your Kiwi of course.
Shoep - Default league Ranger
Peohs - Any other class or character i play.
Jhuvik - My Marauder
Merialeth - My witch
Last edited by Shoep on Apr 15, 2012, 4:57:08 PM
People are passionate about the games they love. If someone really likes PoE and see's how far it can go and the potential they have they will invest. To each their own.

Much Love

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info