[3.16] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | SSF | CI/LL

"
Clydehart wrote:
"
jnskeh wrote:
Thank you so much for the guide!

I have hit a snag, however. I just got to A8 and switched to CI as the build recommends. However, I am level 54 and don't physically have enough mana to be able to run Discipline + 2 Spellslingers. Without Discipline, I have just over 1000 ES and I die... a lot. Would your suggestion be to switch back to life, or do I have to suck it up and buy more gear? I feel like at this level, I am unable to get any decent ES gear. How much ES should I be shooting for around level 55 to have a smooth levelling experience?

I don't think I've ever had to consider buying this much gear at this level with other builds, so I'm going to imagine that your answer is going to be to run without CI until I grab a few more levels? What level should I be switching to CI around?

It's been very smooth up until this point... until I took CI. I tend to rush through the acts pretty quickly and I feel like your levelling guide presumes I'm a higher level by A8? :P

Not a criticism of the build at all, as it looks great, I'm just wondering what you recommend at this stage in the levelling process. Perhaps in the A8 section of the levelling guide you could include some information about what sort of ES you should have before switching to CI?

The build assumes you're about level ~59 by this point, so that might be one of the reasons why. Definitely don't invest in any gear, just use what you pick up. I had about ~2.5k ES by the time I hit A8. As you already said, I'd recommend you to take off CI, but you'll have to be cautious about chaos damage at this point. As a method of mitigating the chaos damage, you should use Vitality, which should give you about ~130 life regen and mitigate most of the chaos DoT (which is what kills you in A8 sewers).

I'd shoot for around 3k ES (with discipline) minimum before swapping to CI. Most people recommend to have at least 4K ES before swapping- but I'm fairly cautious and 3K ES works fine for me.

I appreciate the suggestion, I'll definitely add some more detail to the A8 section about when to take CI or to start using vitality. I might even recommend not swapping to CI until A10 and just using a vitality aura to mitigate the majority of chaos DoT found between A8-A9.

Wonderful. Thank you for your reply.

I think one of the big mistakes I've made so far is grabbing life gear as I've never had to focus on ES in past builds, so by this stage I should have way more ES than I have.

I'll switch back to life, take Vitality and start grabbing ES gear from now on.
Yep, I'm now lvl 84, and it's still very good. Spent less than 10c for all my gear, I just started getting into red maps with 6000 ES and ~100/150k raw dps (before frostbite + occ ascendancy + frost bomb res debuffs and any buffs like arcane surge or EO) with 0 qual gems, 4-Linked Vortex and no spell trigger on the wand. Build is still going very strong in early red maps, and I still have so much to chase.

Definitely one of my best leaguestart builds ever, up there with Cobra Lash (in blight I believe). Thanks again so much for the guide :)

By the way, for anyone who's wondering what passives to get after lvl 85 if they don't want to go Low Life instead of CI, I've experimented a bit on PoB and from what I saw, the most optimal thing to do is to get Fingers of Frost, then get a large jewel socket and use clusters. There are so many good cluster keystones for us (Deep Chill, Brush with Death, Energy from Naught, and many more). I'm assuming getting multiple jewel sockets and using regular jewels would work just as well or even better, but I'm too lazy to craft jewels in PoB to check it.

EDIT : Oh yeah, and as for the CI switch, except if you got some massive RNG loots with great ES gear in acts, I wouldn't bother doing it so early with low ES. I don't remember when I made the switch exactly, but I believe I was already into maps and had just purchased my first ES gear and was at somewhere along the lines of 4000/4500 ES. Also, do NOT underestimate flasks. This build needs them to survive. I hit a wall in yellow maps and kept dying over and over when I realized I still had my leveling life flasks. Instantly stopped dying after grabbing a granite, a quartz and a jade flask.

EDIT 2 : I also have a question : Does resistance penetration work in the negatives ? Let's say if I lower an enemy's cold res down to -50% with all our debuffs, will 10% penetration get me to -60% effective resistance ? I believe it doesn't work that way but I'm not sure.
Last edited by Kazh on Sep 20, 2020, 9:50:11 PM
"
The Wandslinger node doesn't do anything special in this build aside from give you some quality of life with % attack speed and good % damage nodes. It is especially good early on, as its one of the few damage nodes you pick up before you get Spellslinger in Act 3. If you don't need the % attack speed, you can drop these nodes and go for a jewel socket or Fingers of Frost (if you go to level 87)

Ok, got it. I'll give it a try, thanks!
Can I ask is it different with this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqz5NnwPp4E

Which is more noob friendly and better overall?
What flask set up should we be running? the pob is blank.

Going good so far just havent got around to getting the wand set up done as im missing the trigger cast.
all map mods possible? I know that DoT usually doesn't trigger reflect, but the Frostbolts may cause some issues.

anyway, started this build after reaching a brick wall with my starter (LL chaos slinger). so far, it's been a blast to level. recorded a quick video to showcase the leveling experience after act 4 with the entire cold setup (frostbolt + creeping frost + spellslinger + LMP / vortex fully juiced up on tabula). it's chill as fuck, in every way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaNPWTTaDxA&ab_&ab_

i'll be hopefully reaching maps soon, so I'll be able to give better feedback while building LL in this league :)

ps: why the fuck is celestial vortex so bright
Last edited by leafyr0kr on Sep 21, 2020, 5:33:26 PM
Hey, a quick question. Why do you keep Frenzy and GMP at level 1?
"
The14thNoah wrote:
Hey, a quick question. Why do you keep Frenzy and GMP at level 1?

Leveling those gives nothing to the build. We're not using the damage from the Frenzy projectile, so leveling it up is pointless (same thing with GMP). You'll just inflate the dex requirement.
"
Kazh wrote:
Yep, I'm now lvl 84, and it's still very good. Spent less than 10c for all my gear, I just started getting into red maps with 6000 ES and ~100/150k raw dps (before frostbite + occ ascendancy + frost bomb res debuffs and any buffs like arcane surge or EO) with 0 qual gems, 4-Linked Vortex and no spell trigger on the wand. Build is still going very strong in early red maps, and I still have so much to chase.

Definitely one of my best leaguestart builds ever, up there with Cobra Lash (in blight I believe). Thanks again so much for the guide :)

By the way, for anyone who's wondering what passives to get after lvl 85 if they don't want to go Low Life instead of CI, I've experimented a bit on PoB and from what I saw, the most optimal thing to do is to get Fingers of Frost, then get a large jewel socket and use clusters. There are so many good cluster keystones for us (Deep Chill, Brush with Death, Energy from Naught, and many more). I'm assuming getting multiple jewel sockets and using regular jewels would work just as well or even better, but I'm too lazy to craft jewels in PoB to check it.

EDIT : Oh yeah, and as for the CI switch, except if you got some massive RNG loots with great ES gear in acts, I wouldn't bother doing it so early with low ES. I don't remember when I made the switch exactly, but I believe I was already into maps and had just purchased my first ES gear and was at somewhere along the lines of 4000/4500 ES. Also, do NOT underestimate flasks. This build needs them to survive. I hit a wall in yellow maps and kept dying over and over when I realized I still had my leveling life flasks. Instantly stopped dying after grabbing a granite, a quartz and a jade flask.

EDIT 2 : I also have a question : Does resistance penetration work in the negatives ? Let's say if I lower an enemy's cold res down to -50% with all our debuffs, will 10% penetration get me to -60% effective resistance ? I believe it doesn't work that way but I'm not sure.

Awesome- glad to hear things are going well! Transitioning to cluster jewels is exactly what you should do if you start getting to ~90.

You are right, it won't work. Unfortunately resistance penetration doesn't work at all for any DoT- penetration only applies to hits and is only a property of hits. Anything that reduces monster resistances works with DoT, but not direct penetration. IE, Heart of Ice "Damage penetrates 6% cold resistance" will not give your Creeping Frost/Vortex DoT any benefit- only the initial hit.

"
aka2411 wrote:
Can I ask is it different with this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqz5NnwPp4E

Which is more noob friendly and better overall?

This build is different from that one, although they both use Creeping Frost. The build in that video is self-cast Creeping Frost + self-cast Cold Snap. This build utilizes Frenzy + Spellslinger to cast Creeping Frost and Frostbolts, and you hold vortex to constantly cast it ontop of frostbolts that launch out.

Both have a very similar "ceiling" in terms of damage and survivability. I'd say it's up to personal preference. I personally prefer the 1 button playstyle versus self-casting.

"
Lavacaverns wrote:
What flask set up should we be running? the pob is blank.

Going good so far just havent got around to getting the wand set up done as im missing the trigger cast.

#1: Quicksilver
#2: Rumi's concoction
#3: Cinderswallow Urn
#4: Sulphur flask
#5: Utility flask. This can be Quartz/Basalt/Jade/Granite/Resitances.

"
leafyr0kr wrote:
all map mods possible? I know that DoT usually doesn't trigger reflect, but the Frostbolts may cause some issues.

anyway, started this build after reaching a brick wall with my starter (LL chaos slinger). so far, it's been a blast to level. recorded a quick video to showcase the leveling experience after act 4 with the entire cold setup (frostbolt + creeping frost + spellslinger + LMP / vortex fully juiced up on tabula). it's chill as fuck, in every way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaNPWTTaDxA&ab_&ab_

i'll be hopefully reaching maps soon, so I'll be able to give better feedback while building LL in this league :)

ps: why the fuck is celestial vortex so bright

The hits from the spells actually deal a fair amount of damage and will kill you from reflect, so it isn't reflect immune. Everything else, it's perfectly fine with- even no regen maps, but you'll have to play cautious and/or use a mana flask.

Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749
What are in your opinion the highest priority gems to get to 20% quality ?

And speaking about no regen... Yeah that mod's a bitch. Guess I need an Enduring mana flask ready for that one.

EDIT : Yeah, you should definitely have an enduring mana flask ready to go for no regen. Just did my first (and only) Core map of the league, didnt realize it had beyond, no regen, temporal chains, and damage/area boss modifiers. Holy fuck it was a rough one. Luckily I literally leveled up on the first pack of the map so I could die 4 times (and even crash once lol) and still complete it for the atlas.
Last edited by Kazh on Sep 21, 2020, 7:40:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info