Best bow for lightning arrow?

@Shogen they will have different dps because of all the modfiers. In general tri-ele>phys-light>phys in terms of dps.

"
Enkel wrote:
"
Icecreamcart wrote:
I understand and it is your fullest right to look at it only from base dps. I also like to correct myself. A perfect roll would have added phys / % phys / lightning. This will give you a much higher physical base then what I used above. :)

Actually I just want to compare equal total damage bows: (1) pure physical bow (2) physical + elemental

In a build which is optimized for lightning arrow and with the right gear choice, physical + elemental bow will always be more effective.

For example look at my bow. You will always get more LA dps with it than a pure physical bow with the same total damage. But people who think they know everything treat it like trash. It is just funny.

I play self-found on hc so I have no opinion on default trading. I tried some trading but it just annoys the crap out of me so I just stopped doing it. I will never be the richest but it's about having fun. Trading is usually not "fun". But let's not derail the thread. :)

That's a pretty solid bow. If your PC is 5 exalts, that's seems fine. You have a near perfect light roll, decent phys rolls and it's 5L. I don't see the problem aside of maybe a slower aspd. (Can't have it all)

I have some time atm, so let's do the maths. I hope I don't mess up somewhere. I will use this build:

Pretty standard, I picked a couple of phys dmg nodes just to make it a little bit interesting.

All the bows have the same aspd and will be 4L with lvl 20 LA, lmp, chain and weapon elemental dmg. I also used +50%wed from imaginary gear:

Spoiler
Total modifiers from passives and skill gems:
Additive:
88% inc physical dmg
130% inc weapon elemental dmg
162% inc projectile dmg
38% inc dmg

multiplicative
80% more weapon elemental dmg
30% less projectile dmg
50% less dmg

------------------
Bow 1 : 70-250 phys
LA conversion: 35 phys 35 ele - 125 phys 125 ele
Dmg after modifiers: 47-170 phys and 114-407 ele
Total: 47-170 phys and 114-407 ele = 161-577 dmg

Bow 2 : 23-70 phys and 47-180 ele
LA conversion: 11.5 phys 11.5 ele - 35 phys 35 ele
Dmg after modifiers: 16-47 phys and 37-114 ele
Dmg elemental after modifiers: 127-488 ele
Total: 16-47 phys and 164-602 ele = 180-649dmg

Bow 3 : 60-140 phys and 10-110 ele
LA conversion: 30 phys 30 ele - 70 phys 70 ele
Dmg after modifiers: 40-95 phys and 98-228 ele
Dmg elemental after modifiers: 27-298 ele
Total: 40-95 phys and 125-526 ele = 165-621dmg

This confirms the general tri-ele>phys-light>phys when it comes to pure dps. However we should not overlook the fact that phys-light will have the most lightning dps. It might even be possible that the phys only bow is pretty close to the the tri-ele bow in terms of lightning dmg.

(I didn't calculate all the seperate elements of the tri-ele, it becomes messy and takes too much time)

If I made a mistake somewhere, feel free to correct.

Late edit: The results are not complety accurate ofcourse. If we would consider other gear, it will look different. For example black gleam would scale with phys bows and might even come close to (or simply outdps) the tri-ele.
Last edited by Icecreamcart on Mar 22, 2013, 7:39:42 PM
best bow is Lioneye's Glare :P

There is no other good bow!

It would be nice to see the opinions of more "experienced players".
IGN: Enkel
Enkel's Renewed Quality Shop - 1: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/804756
Enkel's Renewed Quality Shop - 2: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/964835
Enkel's Accessories - 1 (Jewellery): http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806716
"
Killia wrote:

Not the best bow for Ele build or LA build, please go to the back of the line.

OP the tri ele bow would be the best for a LA build since you would avoid any "adds Pys dam" passives. I know this goes against what most people think since LA draws a % from phys dam. In a lightning arrow build for damage your best choices are IAS, + projectile dam, Ele dam, accuracy, and lightning dam.
"
Serrao wrote:

OP the tri ele bow would be the best for a LA build since you would avoid any "adds Pys dam" passives. I know this goes against what most people think since LA draws a % from phys dam. In a lightning arrow build for damage your best choices are IAS, + projectile dam, Ele dam, accuracy, and lightning dam.

In terms of nodes projectile outweighs ias all the time. And it isn't all that simple. If you want to survive you need LL. So i prefer always a bow with at least 100 physical damage and the rest ele. Also make sure you do enough damage to actually shock. There is a threshold.
Last edited by bowmore17 on Mar 29, 2013, 8:44:41 AM
A standard LA build takes +80% weapon elemental damage and you will also get it on your gear + WED support gem meaning any +fire/cold/lightning is amplified a ton thus tri ele is better.
IGN - RNGiraffe
Last edited by bellyfrog on Apr 1, 2013, 8:47:05 AM
consider using
with high physical bow and iron grip.

i ve tested it and physical bow build gave me like 400~ more LA dps. But you mostly sacrifise shock tree for that if your not 90+.

So basicly its all about what you have and what you want to use. If you can make the right build and item combination, you will probably have closer dps. Thats why i find hilarious people paying shit loads of money to get tri elem bows without any knowledge.
Thanks for this thread, helped me alot to understand the gamemechanics.
I crafted two bows with ilvl 77 thickets:
First one has 250 DPS, second almost 300 DPS. My LA DPS only went from around 1300 to 1400 something. But it scaled better with elemental hit.
ign Elmi_EQ

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info