Another Question about Linking my POE account with Steam

I have read the threads in this forum and searched for the exact process to link my Steam account with my POE account but I am still confused and don't want to risk overwriting all of my progress on Steam. Here are the details:

1) I first started playing POE on Steam about four years ago.

2) At some point afterward, I created a POE account in case I wanted to use the forums or maybe play the game through POE.com directly. I never created any characters or played using poe.com directly.

3) I am interested in trying to play the game through POE.com directly but I don't want to lose my accumulated gear, etc. I guess Ideally, I'd like the flexibility to log in either through Steam or poe.com to play.

4) When I log in to poe.com, I cannot see any of my characters obviously because the accounts aren't linked. Some posts suggest that I may need to create a new POE.com account before linking, but I don't think POE will let me have more than one account with the same email address.

5) I have read a number of horror stories of folks who linked them incorrectly and overwrote all of their Steam progress. Assuming I can link the accounts correctly, would it be possible to start playing a new character through poe.com and have access to my loot, etc. previously accumulated on Steam (if playing standard for example?) It sounds like any character played exclusively through poe.com in the future would not accumulate Steam accomplishments, stats, etc. (even if linked to a Steam account) I'm particularly confused about this.

I would appreciate specific confirmation that I can link the accounts using the green button on the poe.com main page without losing thousands of hours of gameplay.
Last bumped on Feb 18, 2020, 10:04:01 PM
Even if you screw the process up, GGG can restore it back to where it was and you won't lose anything. It's actually pretty much impossible to lose your account, unless you start deleting things yourself.

Best thing to do is to email support@grindinggear.com and ask them to do it for you since you have muddled with things before.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Last edited by Aragorn14 on Feb 18, 2020, 3:06:31 PM
Log out of the account you're on now, go to https://www.pathofexile.com/login and choose "Sign in through STEAM" on the right-hand side.

This will log you in on the website with your Steam account.

Then go to https://www.pathofexile.com/my-account/change-email and add any unused email you want to your account. You'll then be able to sign in using both methods.

If you want to use the email of the account you're currently posting from you'll need to change it first to something else (same url: https://www.pathofexile.com/my-account/change-email) then proceed with the steps above.

The wrong way to do it is to start with your empty account and to link it to your Steam. This will attach your Steam login to the empty account which appears to "delete" all your characters, purchases, etc. Support can undo this if you do it by accident.
Web DeveloperView our Developer Docs

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info