I just got Hacked

And the "New location" system didn't warn me, I never received any mail as It needs physically my phone to have it.
Just lost alomost 7 years worth of items.
I'm really dissappointed that it didn't work
Last bumped on Feb 20, 2020, 10:25:22 AM
"
Merlinn_ wrote:
And the "New location" system didn't warn me, I never received any mail as It needs physically my phone to have it.
Just lost alomost 7 years worth of items.
I'm really dissappointed that it didn't work

well unless you had GGG disable this on your account, then when a hacker login from a new location (IP) he will need the code from your e-mail also.
So it sounds like your e-mail is also hacked, so you will have to get your system scanned and secured including your e-mail-

And as you already know, GGG doesn't make any kind of ingame restores.
"
well unless you had GGG disable this on your account, then when a hacker login from a new location (IP) he will need the code from your e-mail also.
So it sounds like your e-mail is also hacked, so you will have to get your system scanned and secured including your e-mail-

I already got hacked so I have a system with google security AND microsoft security so that you physically need my phone to get this mailand read to code.
I know that GGG doesn't do anything about item loss, like I said I'm really dissapointed that this system didn't work because even someone as paranoid as me can be hacked even tho it's supposed to be impossible if you're not next to me in person
"
Merlinn_ wrote:
"

I already got hacked so I have a system with google security AND microsoft security so that you physically need my phone to get this mailand read to code.
I know that GGG doesn't do anything about item loss, like I said I'm really dissapointed that this system didn't work because even someone as paranoid as me can be hacked even tho it's supposed to be impossible if you're not next to me in person

did you by any chance made your PoE account via Steam and later added an e-mail address to it so you could use the stand-alone client ?
Your stash is private, but all your characters seem to still have their gear.
"
did you by any chance made your PoE account via Steam and later added an e-mail address to it so you could use the stand-alone client ?

Yes I do, would it matter?

"
Your stash is private, but all your characters seem to still have their gear.

Nah, I'm missing all valuable uniques on all my characters even in standard
"
Merlinn_ wrote:
"

Yes I do, would it matter?

Yes I believe so. I don't think that you have the protection anymore because it's a LINKED account now.
Meaning that you can log into your account using the stand-alone client without any IP checks.

This you will have to get confirmed with GGG support.
Also to add on top of it, people don't get hacked...
Their machines get infected with keyloggers from random websites visited.
Now the real kicker is, if it just happened, what's going to go next? Because as the name implies, keyloggers logg key strokes on your keyboard, it's basically as if you had typed down everything in a txt file that someone else is looking at. So chances are that whomever got your PoE passwords and account name, most likely has every single other logg-in detail of every account that you visited during that period of time.

But the real cherry on top is that the only real places you can get a keylogger that specifically is used for stealing PoE stuff, is RMT websites lol....
Also your account was created in 2017...not sure what sort of year you think it is, but it's 2020, not 24.
No rest for the wicked.
Last edited by Daiena on Feb 17, 2020, 6:42:49 PM
"
Also to add on top of it, people don't get hacked...
Their machines get infected with keyloggers from random websites visited.
Now the real kicker is, if it just happened, what's going to go next? Because as the name implies, keyloggers logg key strokes on your keyboard, it's basically as if you had typed down everything in a txt file that someone else is looking at. So chances are that whomever got your PoE passwords and account name, most likely has every single other logg-in detail of every account that you visited during that period of time.

But the real cherry on top is that the only real places you can get a keylogger that specifically is used for stealing PoE stuff, is RMT websites lol....
Also your account was created in 2017...not sure what sort of year you think it is, but it's 2020, not 24.

I need to thank you for your comment.
I found something on my pc while looking through everything I could and turns out... It was a Keylogger from a copy of Roller coaster tycoon 3! So cheers for that! I uninstalled this right away and I hope nothing more will happen.
Concerning RMT and stealing stuff, you're gonna have to get me some proff of what you say because this is a very grave accusation to put on someone.
This is the account I remade the day I changed my pc because I had lost my old one. But how would you know after all.
Plus, Why would I bother put a metric ton of money into buying MTX and packs when I could be banned in a nano second? Doesn't make any sense for me.

Anyway, Thank you for your insight and stay safe, Exile!

Edit : Missread about the stealing stuff thingy. didnt understood that you were talking about the keylogger software. I don't know how precise keyloggers are, but I do know how they work, and they steal and classify every bit of information so it's not "juste for stealing poe stuff". Since sunday, I've had my paypal and microsofts accounts both let me know that someone was trying to get onto my account so I don't think my POE account was targeted and that it was just a collateral victim since the "new location" feature didn't work.
Last edited by Merlinn_ on Feb 18, 2020, 6:43:19 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about this Merlinn_. We typically recommend changing the passwords for all accounts associated with your Path of Exile account (Steam, email, etc.) to unique, complex passwords that aren't used for any other account every couple of months. We would also recommend sporadically checking for malware on your computer.

Chris has written some forum posts regarding account security and how to protect yourself against unauthorised users. I'd recommend taking a look:

Regarding Account Security & Theft
Regarding Hacking

You're welcome to contact us at support@grindinggear.com if you believe your Path of Exile account is at risk of being compromised again in the future. We typically have someone keeping an eye out for serious cases to lock an account immediately to prevent further damage from occurring.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info