3.11 Pillar of Caged God Earthquake/Sweep | 11k+ EHP 7M+ DPS | All content down|Videos

Introduction:
Are you tired of dying 1hit to metamorph or any content in game? Are you tired of building defense and ending up with a ZDps build? Have you had enough of playing a necromancer and let some moving pixels do your job for you?
Do you wanna play a melee build that feels great, deal great damage and never die from spike damage

I will be streaming for 3.11 https://www.twitch.tv/astariftt playing and testing out different builds every now and then.
Try not to PM me in game or forums for questions, drop them here in the thread or come by the stream, its easier for me to answer questions on the thread as your question might benefit others as well. I am pretty much afk 95% of the time just doing trades while i am in game

Update for 3.11
The flat damage nerf to earthquake has severely affected our dps. There are ways to fix it by throwing in more flat added phys damage(abyss jewels, steel rings, added phys rolls on amulet and rings) but it can be less budget.
Will not advise this as a league started unless you replace earthquake with Sweep. Sweep is better for a league start, earthquake is better when you have insane gear to go with it

*****Changes for 3.11******
Spoiler

3.11 has huge changes to this build mainly due to earthquake
Good changes:
Pillar of caged god at 20% quality, 37.1 dps > 43.6dps
Tiny buff due to base item type changes

Fist of war support
Replaces energy leech giving us a gigantic hit once every 1.8 second

Seismic cry
Gives us bigger stronger slams for earthquake

Very very bad change:
Earthquake losing flat added damage
This is a big dps loss at the lower end of gear and might push us towards using sweep instead for the flat added damage
With this change, we will shift our gearing focus into stacking flat added phys damage ontop of strength

Moving on to 3.11, how we want to play is to bind seismic cry on left click(we have it instant cast from Call to Arms) keep seismic cry up and slam with earthquakes.
We have to use the new tools given to us to combat the nerf due to the loss of flat phys from the aftershocks
Gear wise, we want to push hard for flat phys on rings and amulet

Tldr: build still viable, but would be hard starting out as earthquake
Need to keep seismic cry up
Slight changes to gearing
League start with sweep, its easier for leveling

Look no further, we are the new and the bestest Pillar of the Caged God build with:

10-13k E-hp(6-7k life, 3-4k ES)
5-7Mil dps(with averaged 3-3.8mil earthquake aftershock every 0.4-0.5 second)
76 to all resist
30%-50% phys reduction(THIS IS AFTER ABYSSUS)
Nearby enemies are blinded(during clear/mapping)
Nearby enemies has 23% less accuracy
Effective perma fortify
Ancestral totem taunts enemies off you(bosses)
1.4k-1.5k Stronk stat
Most mobs dies in 1 earthquake aftershock

Our high end budget is about 10-15EX, but we can start this easily at around 2-3EX(you will just have less str/life and damage overall, functionability is about the same) Cost will probably drop as str stacking necro drop out of meta

Before we go on, we are a stat stacking build that revolves around maximizing our gear based on maximum strength

Videos: More to come
3.9 Sirus and friends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srRUcxMKUZY&

3.9 Elder, Shaper, Uber elder, 4 conquerers, Sirus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvo3vytlRRI

3.9 T16 plaza map clear with hunter influence
Mods: more life, more damage, less max res on me + dual boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1DZPtBQ0_4
Just jump into packs and right click, chaos mobs are supposed to be dangerous but honestly with 7k base life, its not much of an issue

Pros
Insane EHP, we literally dont die 1hit from anything, even shaper/elder slam(that deals like 10k life)
Stun bosses whenever they are off stun cooldown
Super off meta with pillar of caged god and ascendant
Crystal earthquake looks great
High min maxing potential
Strength stacking but we dont need a perfect lethal pride
Yes we can be HC viable due to how much e-hp we have

Cons
We are slightly weak against chaos damage(build chaos resist to counter this)
Competing with Baron summoner builds for high strength gear
Not ideal for legion monolith content, we cant clear the whole monolith on time
We are still melee, effectively
Requires high maxing to go close to previous state pre 3.11 due to flat damage nerf

Key build mechanics
Spoiler

This is our bread and butter, our damage and what our build revolves around.
It gives 16% additive increased melee damage per 10 str(we go up to 1.3-1.5k str, thats 2000+ increased melee damage), 1% increased aoe per 20 intel(not that huge), 1% increased attack speed per 10 dex

We stack stats, strength even intelligence or dexterity if we can. This gives an effective 250-300+ increased ES and some other minor stats from dex and intel. This is our big key to having our giant ES pool

10% of maximum life gained as extra maximum ES

This timeless jewel gives us Corrupted soul https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Corrupted_Soul
20% of maximum life gained as extra maximum ES, 50% of non chaos damage bypasses ES
Doryani
This 2 mods gives us 30% of our already high life pool gained as maximum ES, (2.1k if you have 7k life) comboed with shaper's touch % increased ES, we can reach up to 5k+ ES with a very tiny downside

Playstyle for this build
Spoiler

Leap slam to packs, earthquake, jump away, repeat

Why Earthquake not cyclone
Spoiler

Because cyclone is boring. In all honesty, cyclone can definitely work with this build

We want to use a melee skill that can be used by staff, adds some intrinsic phys damage based from the gem itself.

3.11 Earthquake lost the flat phys on after shock and gained extra 80% more damage for aftershocks(70% more to 150% more)
This is a buff to scalability, but nerf to entry level of gear

Skills that adds fire, cold or lightning damage from the base gem will not work that well at all

Why Ascendant
Spoiler

Ascendant is a pretty good ascendancy what it comes to focusing on stacking a base stat.
Also, we are able to get benefit from 2 lesser ascendancy, which in this case we focus on:
Berserker, i choose this because i want more damage and stun immunity while clearing maps
Juggernaut, we can literally bypass accuracy requirements with this but with shaper's touch, a slightly leveled precision and a unnatural instinct, we can handle accuracy very well
Chieftain, 10% str but the remaining stats arent all that good

Champion, i choose this because intimidate, taunt, fortify and impale for that extra added damage. This is hands down the most damage you can get off a single ascendancy on this
Slayer, over leech is nerfed, very hard to justify

Pathfinder, close to unlimited flask, but also no other good buffs

My current set up
Spoiler

Disclaimer:

Before we go into PoB, do make sure you are using the PoB community fork. Else there will be random issues or bug when you try to load my pob links
https://github.com/PathOfBuildingCommunity/PathOfBuilding/releases

Also if you are having issues with the PoB link(error 301), add a "s" after the http before the ://, link should be https://(link)
I removed the S because some were getting error 302, which was fixed by removing the S

POB and skilltree explanation
Spoiler

PoB is based on my current set up
Gearing explanations more in detail below
https://pastebin.com/sf4ygwxL
Nothing very complicated, a straightforward Earthquake set up
Meek/unnatural instinct set up

Generally i would not advice on using a large cluster, because its too much points required and we would need to throw away lots of strength/life nodes for the cluster jewel.

Version 1: https://pastebin.com/sf4ygwxL
Explanation:
This will be the expensive version, we run champion berserker, so we need more accuracy and thats where the unnatural instinct comes in. This is more expensive in terms of budget but will be our ultimate end game over version 2

Version 2: https://pastebin.com/f9Xi5EzJ
Explanation:
We drop unnatural instinct(really depends on how expensive this is) for juggernaut ascendancy. This gives us lots of accuracy, endurance charge consistency, chill and stun immunity and less damage taken. This is the safer build but we will do less dps for sure.
Points moved into harpooner for damage

Both versions has its pros and cons, both are good. Just depends on which you like more, probably go jugg/champion if HC/hate dying, berserker/champion if you love damage but dont mind random spikes damage sometimes.

Cluster jewels:
Pressure points
Precise commander

Wall of muscle

Large cluster jewels arent worth it because of the travel nodes. 12% attack damage is literally nothing in our set up(we get thousands of % phys attack dmg from our weapon, this is affected by diminishing returns)

Ascendency
Spoiler

1: go for champion ascendancy
2: go for jugg/berserker
3: go for duelist starting point ascendancy

We only get effective bonus from ascendancy from cruel lab onwards

*** if you have problems with capping accuracy, take juggernaut over berserker, swap back once you can get good enough accuracy(this involve having shaper's touch, around 240ish intelligence and the unnatural instinct on the spot it is supposed to be in)

Gearing

Gems
Spoiler

Always assume Awakened gems are the best in slot, if you can afford them

On Armor
We like our ancestral warchief(not vaaled) and leapslam set up here
Ancestral warchief - Leap Slam - Fortify - Faster Attacks
+ Seismic cry - Second wind

On weapon 1:
We use our Earthquake(vaaled) setup here
Vaal Earthquake - Melee physical damage - Less duration - Brutality - Pulverize - Fist of War

Fist of war is better than energy leech for damage

On Helm
Enlighten - Maim - Flesh and Stone - Pride

Self explanatory, maim works well with flesh and stone for more damage

On Gloves
This is our curse on hit set up, if you do not have an awakened level 5 curse on hit, use assassin's mark only
Vulnerability - Curse on hit - Storm brand - Assassin's mark

IF only one curse, assassin's mark

On Boots
Enlighten - Blood and sand - Precision - Dread banner

Level precision and make sure you have roughly 100 mana after the reservation

Important note on gearing
We need to focus on maxing our resist and just purely focus on as much strength as possible

Weapon
Spoiler

Our trusty Pillar of the caged god

Use from level 13, we dont need to care about rolls or corruptions too, very very simple

Body armor
Spoiler

What we want here would be an elder chest with high life stat and High flat str+ increased % strength

Gloves
Spoiler

Undisputed slot, gives us everything and some extra things we need.

For corruption, look for crit chance for attacks
For enchants, it doesnt matter much

Boots
Spoiler

This is a novelty and the boots that made me start the build.
Elusive is absolutely not required, but its just extra

What we want is a hunter boots with flat strength and % increased strength, with decent life and movement speed

Helm
Spoiler

Undisputed slot.

We want to have lowest possible phys damage taken mod and highest possible melee crit multi.

For enchant, we want earthquake duration reduction(those are rare AF and expensive, not worth it).
Else we would like stuff like dread banner aura effect, Pride/fleshandstone mana reservation

Neck and anointing
Spoiler

For starters, use astramentis https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Astramentis

Else for a rare amber amulet, what we want is
Increased attributes(shaper)
Increased strength(Warlord)
Flat strength
Good life stat
Prefix to craft flat added phys, or roll a higher tier of flat added phys

A perfectly rolled amulet can cost up to many EX, so a simple one with t1 strength is pretty much good enough, the increased attributes or strength is a good to have

Anointment:
Master of force
30Str, 30% increased phys damage, 10% overwhelm
better than a vanilla 30 str node
Measured fury:
This is strong assuming you can slam the 5th time within the 4.9 second the warcry is up

Rings
Spoiler

This is our slot to max strength, max resist and get as much life as possible, spend within means

3.11: for end game upgrades;
WE ABSOLUTELY need steel rings here, also with an open prefix to craft in flat added phys damage

Belt
Spoiler

We can use a Cyclopean Coil here
Make sure it rolls highest possible you can afford increased attributes
In most cases, we wont fulfill the cant be frozen mod, but cant be ignited or shocked is pretty good too

This is a similar slot to amulets, just that we use an elder heavy belt here
My belt is close to an ideal belt we want, but with less base life.

We want
Life
Armor(not high priority)
Increased attributes
Flat strength
Suffix to craft flat strength/dex or int

** the best base for a belt will be a stygian vise.
+1 abyss jewel for more flat phys is stronger than 40ish flat strength

Flasks
Spoiler

We will need an anti freeze(assuming you dont use the anti chill freeze boots), anti bleed, anti curse flask. So in most cases we run 3 utility flasks
1: life flask with anti bleed
2: Basalt or quicksilver flask with anti freeze or curse
3: Diamond flask with anti freeze or curse

4/5: luxury expensive damage flasks

If you play a melee build with phys damage, this is an unavoidable slot

Bottled faith and cinderswallow is an either/or. Use bottled faith if you can afford
For bottled faith, thats the highest valued and most dps flask we can ever get. But i will always value it highly because it can be used in almost any possible builds. We will want this if you can afford this
For cinderswallow, we dont use the ignite mod, but we use the onslaught and the unveiled crit mod and the flat life/es gain on kill

Jewels
Spoiler

We have so many jewel slots, sadly we dont have alot of flexibility in it.

As explained before, glorious vanity for doryani corrupted soul

We need 2/3 might of the meek +1 unnatural instinct(this is expensive, so we use a 3rd meek in its place if required

We need a rare jewel with phys leeched as mana

We need a tempered flesh, this gives 56% crit multi, insane

We will use a watcher's eye as the last slot OR a rare jewel with high crit multi stat
We want the double damage mod, everything else isnt good(even the impale one yes)

TLDR gearing priority for power spikes(from start to end)
Strength.

Crafting guide for items used in the build
Spoiler

Amulet
Spoiler

This is what i am currently using. This is good because we get 2 huge % increased stats mods.
What we want in the amulet is a T1 rolled increased strength(warlord) and T1 increased attributes(shaper) and ideally and totally based off rng, flat str
Steps involved:
1: find an ilvl 75 shaper amber amulet
Reason being that the mods we need rolls at level 75 max. Any higher ilvl increases the pool of the mods that can roll and will reduce the chances of us getting the final mods we want
2: get a warlord influenced amulet, we just need one with ilvl 75 and above, base doesnt matter, ilvl above 75 doesnt matter
3: spam alts to get ONLY one influenced mod, means any mod thats "warlord", "conquest", "shaper", "the shaping" thats not the mod we want, we have to either annul or continue alt spamming. Do not continue unless you get a clean T1 increased str or attribute mod on each respective amulets
4: get an awakener orb, pray to whatever god you believe in or RNG, use the orb FIRST on the warlord amulet and click it onto the ILVL 75 SHAPER amulet.
5: You are confirmed a t1/t1 shaper/warlord increased attribute/str amulet. If the 3rd suffix is good(flat str, crit multi, resist can be good but we want pure damage stat here), we can actually metacraft it to make it better
**steps after this is bascially meta crafting, it can cost you from 5 to hundred exalted orbs, you gotta gauge if its worth going for this
6: metacraft if suffixes are worth it enough to burn 2ex for suffixes cant be changed.
7: use a scouring orb to result in the amulet with only the suffixes(increased str/attributes +1 good enough suffix
8: craft lowest tier flat mana on amulet
9: exalted orb and pray for t1 life/%ES/flatES/flat phys
10: if it fails, repeat metacrafting.

I only did one round of meta crafting to get the life roll and % armor roll, i dont like to sink too much cost into meta crafting.

Boots
Spoiler

To get the mods i have on this boots is heavily heavily dependent on luck, i do not expect to see another boots with the same base mods without huge cost/rngluck.
I will not suggest trying to craft an elusive/%str/flat str boots like mine, too much rng involved and its probably not worth the cost.

However, we still can get a decent boots by crafting on a hunter boots.
Steps involved:
1: buy an ilvl 75 hunter boots. As usual, higher ilvl means more potential rolls, unless you want to go for a 35% movement speed boots, ilvl 75 is enough.
2: spam alts for t1 % strength roll
3: augment orb and hope for t1 life/t2 movement speed
4: Use imprint beast if the prefix is good, else move to step 5
5: use a regal orb and hope for t2/1 strength roll.
6: if you get a t1/2 strength roll, multi mod it and craft life/movement speed

Pantheon
Spoiler

Major:
Lunaris with divine vessel completed
Solaris with divine vessel completed

Minor:
Abberath because i hate floor on fire
Shakari might be good after nerf

For major god, either one is great for migitation

Bandits
Spoiler

We want to help alira

Leveling
Spoiler

Simple explanation
Level with a bow or something to level 13

Take pillar of god, use ground slam till level 28

Swap to earthquake and start slamming the earth

leveling trees
1-13(level with a bow or something, your choice)
www.poeurl.com/cJ7q

14-28 pick up our end game weapon: pillar of the caged god and ground slam your way till 28
www.poeurl.com/cJ7r

29-45(finish act 5)
Run flesh and stone, blood and sand, and level precision to your comfort level because accuracy would be a slight issue these levels. Do not run pride yet
www.poeurl.com/cJ7s

46-66(finish act 10)
We need the 2 meek set up in the layout, take the jewel slot for unnatural instinct if you can afford one at this point, else dont take it yet.
www.poeurl.com/cJ7u

66-73(we rush to where we put our glorius vanity and allocate corrupted soul asap now)
www.poeurl.com/cJ7w

74+ focus towards finishing the tree i have planned, the life nodes will be the last ones you get. Get the damage nodes 1st, you probably can achieve 8-9k EHP by around lvl 75 to 80

FAQ
Spoiler

Q: I cant get as much life/es you have
A: You need a timeless jewel for doryani to get corrupted soul for the bulk of the ES and a crafted life as es craft on chest.

Q: why take mind over matter
A: we use a timeless jewel to change it to corrupted soul

Q: how do we calculate our effective dps
A: we take our attack rate X earthquake after shock damage + our initial hit dps for earthquake, add them together.
You will not be able to get a fast enough attack speed to procc aftershock as fast as it occur unless you run a multistrike, which complicates things further, i do not like complications

Q: Vaal earthquake or vaal ancestral warchief?
A: personally I took vaal earthquake because I did not need any additional single target dps that vaal ancestral warchief gives. Its all up to your preference and I don't suggest using both, splitting souls for vaal skills isn't very ideal

Will add more in future

Changelog
Spoiler

Earthquake removed flat added damage, but improved scalability
Slam and warcry improvements

Some nerfs, some buffs and added cluster jewel support in PoB tree

9/2/2020
Build posted
My Builds/Stream

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2814713
Last edited by Astarift on Jul 31, 2020, 12:35:53 AM
Last bumped on Sep 27, 2020, 2:57:53 PM
Reserved
My Builds/Stream

Hello,

I want to try this. Can you add a leveling tree please ?
Thank you.
Tried your burning arrow build and it was pretty good.

This build looks good but is there any replacement gear to make it slightly more budget
"
Awà wrote:
Hello,

I want to try this. Can you add a leveling tree please ?
Thank you.

Added a leveling tree guide at the leveling section

"
xxnoobiexx wrote:
Tried your burning arrow build and it was pretty good.

This build looks good but is there any replacement gear to make it slightly more budget

The biggest cost lies in the amulet(you need an awakener orb to craft that) and the boots, alternatively just buy any gear with high roll str with decent life and resist, 3-4 ex should be doable for a lower budget build with around 1.2-1.3k str

Added a t16 map clear video for gameplay showcase
My Builds/Stream

Last edited by Astarift on Feb 9, 2020, 7:42:39 AM
Thank you for leveling tree!
Lets say i want to use a different skill , do i need to change some skill gem to more viable with the skill that i want to use or any physcial damage dealing gem works ?
"
Lets say i want to use a different skill , do i need to change some skill gem to more viable with the skill that i want to use or any physcial damage dealing gem works ?

We are limited to https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/List_of_skill_gems_usable_with_staves Staves skills, however to be even close to what we can achieve with my earthquake showcase, we have to use a skill with baseline added phys, that means we are limited to Ground slam, Sweep, Double strike other than earthquake.

Ground slam and sweep will have similar links to earthquake but we would use multistrike over reduced duration, double strike will be very different because its a strike skill
My Builds/Stream

tnx for the build
Doing this build right now. My 1st ever serious scion build i think. Always have some love for Potcg. Thanks for posting this.

Still, stat stacking is expensive, this build is no exception. I save up about 40ex ready for this but after scouting the current market i dont think i have enough, lol, not if i want end game viable dps & tankiness.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info