The mechanics thread - beta edition (in depth FAQ)

"
Terrabyte wrote:
Someone should sticky it.

I suppose someone should!

Thanks again for the great information!
Balance & Design
Last edited by Rory on Aug 15, 2011, 7:15:30 AM
A section for areas would be good.
Be sure to add this map
Level Designer/Dungeoneer

Always post a screenshot with /debug command entered into the chat window.

First stop for Common Technical Problems
Just saying, you might want to mention in the quality section that gems also have quality.
"
Malice wrote:
Dual wielding
Dual wielding grants a +25% attack speed bonus.
Some skills (such as cleave and dual strike) attack with both weapons at once, while others only use the main-hand weapon.
There's also a bunch which attack with either weapon, alternating (including the standard attack, but also viper strike and several others).
"
Valmar wrote:

"
A magic item can have only one prefix and one suffix, never two prefixes or two suffixes.

I'm not sure if this item got 2 prefixes or why it comes with 3 modifiers:

Unavailable

The base item type of this item is "Rogue's Gauntlets"
It has one prefix: "Moth's" - this mod grants a percentage increase to evasion, AND to bloc and stun recovery.
It has one suffix: "of Raiding" - this mod increases the rarity of items found.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Valmar wrote:

"
A magic item can have only one prefix and one suffix, never two prefixes or two suffixes.

I'm not sure if this item got 2 prefixes or why it comes with 3 modifiers:

Unavailable

I might change the name of the item, so it doesn't sound like it has two prefixes!
Balance & Design
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
ness wrote:
When I'm using combo of 2 or more skill gems paired with supports (tormenta's example from 1st post) and both this gems are same lvl and got same exp point value (they will 'catch up eventually) but different quality, which one will be used as my 'main'?
That with more quality?
Or maybe socketed in specific item, paired with higher lvl supports or game will choose which one randomly?
For each gem, the highest level one is used. In the case of two gems of the same level, the highest quality one is used.
In the case where both the level and the quality are the same, it doesn't matter, since they have the same effect, and I believe it's arbitrary.
"
Xapti wrote:
Added physical damage from any source other than a weapon is applied AFTER increased physical damage mods. I can assume this is the case for elemental damage as well (although, don't get confused — realize that spells don't get added elemental damage from items, it's only attacks)
Could you go into some more detail of what you mean here, because this doesn't line up with my understanding of the system. I think you may be mistaken and/or found something weird.
"
Xapti wrote:
• Added physical damage off of a quiver or weapon does not gain ANY increased damage at all! (except from critical hits and I presume curses, neither of which were included in the previous expression)
Not correct. But there are a couple which don't apply which I thought did, so I'll look into those.
However, some of the increases definitely do apply to such damage.
Not without spending literally hours doing it, which would have to be my own time, since I'm not paid to explain systems in detail on the forums, particularly since they might change soon (you did cause me to discover some things aren't applying which should, so I'm going to talk to Chris about those soon - this seems like something we want to fix in the 0.9.2 patch).
The problem is I see everything in code terms, and can look up exactly which stats affect which things. But I don't know entirely which stats are available as mods (and on which items), and which as passives, and so on without looking them all up. And then looking up again to see how the stat descriptions for those stats describe them.
I know some of them, but not all, and it would take a long time for me to compile a list because of that.
I could give a list of which stats affect which ones, but that would be meaningless to you because you don't know which mods etc are granting which stats.

So I'll see what I can do if I can find the free time to do this sometime, but no promises.

Btw, for an example of horrible damage on skill tooltips, get a weapon with added fire damage. Compare the skill tooltips for default attack and leapslam - the default attack doesn't include the elemental damage in the tooltip (it does deal it). These are all getting redone in a huge rebuild of that system I'm working on.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Sep 12, 2011, 11:42:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info