[3.10] The Reverse Scorpion, Chain Hook TankZerker (Awakener 8 beaten, elder and shaper wrecked)

Have you ever wanted to make chain hook viable? Of course you have. This build achieves this.

Warning: Chain hook actually has a pretty nasty bug at the moment where it will crash your instances if you're trying to use another movement skill during or shortly after fights. It doesn't seem to do it versus bosses though, so that's nice...in any case it's best to map with another skill and then swap to chain hook for bossing.

Announcement: This may be premature but I believe the above case is now resolved as of 3.9.2b as a sneak fix. I've been trying for the better part of an hour to intentionally crash my instances while using just chain hook for clearing and bossing and have been completely unable to do so.

Upon further testing recently, the bug is still around but it feels much, much rarer in occurrence.

Pros (+)
Spoiler
*Extremely tanky
*Excellent bossing
*Good Clear speed
*Satisfying berserk pops that last an eternity
*Can do basically all content

Cons (-)
Spoiler
*Spastic targeting sometimes
*Instance crashes due to bug (GGG please)
*Missing a chain hook will feel awkward
*You are always within smooching range with monsters
*No leech maps are incompatible
*Phys reflect will eat you alive

Videos
Spoiler

Conquerors and Awakener at woke level 8 [3.9]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi1lI_nwXOw

Catarina lvl 83 [3.9]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAve37UTtAM

Shaper [3.9]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUa_5yIyv9Q

Elder [3.9]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6DCeBuSijo

3.9.2 Chain Hook with Ground Slam clear (T16 canyon, lvl 8 awakened)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPp7Bf1lDIA

Recommended gear:

Overleech is our primary source of survivability.

Ascendancy
Spoiler
Berserker

Progression
1 - Pain Reaver
2 - Crave the Slaughter
3 - War Bringer
4 - Rite of Ruin

Damage Variant

Progression for damage variant
1 - Pain Reaver
2 - Flawless Savagery
3 - War Bringer
4 - Aspect of Carnage

Path of Building

My gear
Spoiler

Notes
*You don't need the gloves enchant.
*I also use Ground slam and 1 rapid expansion jewel for clear when I don't want to use sunder...it's up to you what you want to use.

Super Rich Gear
None of the following were used to make the videos seen above
Spoiler

Gearing
Spoiler
You technically don't need to go the divine flesh route, you could just go for more ehp, it's entirely possible to go 8k+ on that, it'd free up some suffixes on your gear for other purposes and an anoint on your amulet...but I do think it's very much worth using DF given the propensity for chaos damage of late.

Temple mod -mana rings are really good, with just 2 you'll cut most of your mana costs to nothing.

Why a mace you may ask? Passive power charge generation thanks to the Pain Forger notable on the tree and they're really cheap to buy.

Cluster Jewel Notables: There's not really anything that is a must have, in my opinion, but there's definitely some stuff that would be nice. Up to you if you wish to take a cluster and what to remove to get the points necessary.
Personally, I quite liked the Overlord notable because it gives fortify on hit for maces/scepters/staves and that would free up a link in our main setup. I also like pretty much all of the warcry notables, with the standouts being Warning Call and Haunting Shout, Provocateur and Lead By Example wouldn't be bad either.

Gem Links
Spoiler
Weapon 1: Ancestral Warchief or Vaal variant + Multiple totems support + Culling strike

These bad boys will help you a ton with their boosts and the culling strike, the multiple totems support also means they're pretty good damage themselves given you have 3 of them now.

Shield: Berserk + Blood Rage + Enhance (lvl 3+)

Enhance on blood rage and berserk gives a fair bit of value for links, berserk especially due to it getting 1% increased attack damage per point of quality, that's 44% increased attack damage with an enhance level 4

Chest: Impale support + Brutality support + Melee physical damage support + Ruthless support + Fortify support + Chain Hook (use Sunder, Ground Slam or whatever else you want during map clear due to the bug mentioned at the start)

Helm: CWDT (lvl 1) + Enfeeble (lvl 5) || Leap Slam || Enduring Cry

You could use an offensive curse like punishment or vulnerability or even assassin's mark instead but I prefer enfeeble myself.

Boots: CWDT (lvl 8) + Molten Shell (lvl 14) + Summon Ice Golem (lvl 10) || Dread Banner

Why not immortal call if we have enduring cry? I just prefer molten shell to be honest.

Gloves: Flesh and Stone + Pride + Enlighten (lvl 2+) + Precision (lvl 12+)

You won't really ever switch to blood stance, you don't need to.

Strategy
Spoiler
As of current patch 3.9.2 Chain Hook still has the nasty instance crashing bug, to avoid this we tend to need to map with another skill, fortunately the build is flexible enough to be able to use any clear skill you want that uses one handed maces...it's an unfortunate circumstance but that's how the cookie crumbles :(

Using CH

Bossing:
You want to position yourself as close to the monster as possible to get the punching animation to trigger. Pop berserk when you're around at least 25 rage, you'll actively be gaining rage even then due to chain hook not having an internal cooldown on rage gain.
Be sure to keep your totems up during bosses for the phat boosts and their culling strike potentials.

Mapping:
Use your actual movement skill to traverse the map and reposition yourself when chain hook is flinging you every which way, despite it being janky this will actually not be the cause of any of your deaths if you have good reaction times.

Changelog
Spoiler
1/12/2020 18:07 - Thread created
1/14/2020 9:25 - Catarina 83 video added
1/14/2020 10:45 - Shaper video added
1/14/2020 12:26 - Elder video added
1/14/2020 20:58 - 3.9.2 clear video added
1/15/2020 02:53 - Added a new PoB link with an extra tree for a more damage oriented version of the build, the Ascendancy section has also been updated
1/17/2020 06:32 - A possible bug fix has happened?
1/29/2020 08:56 - Added super rich budget gears
1/31/2020 01:20 - some changes regarding the status on the instance bug peepoSad
2/9/2020 08:04 - Added leveling trees to the PoB
2/9/2020 08:37 - Changed soul tether from "Required" to "Recommended"
3/11/2020 01:37 - Changed the patch number to 3.10 since nothing has changed according to patch notes...including no bug fix, added a cluster jewel blurb in the gearing section
3/11/2020 11:05 - Added more to the cluster jewel gearing section

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the build.
Last edited by QtkanthaZaarl on Mar 26, 2020, 4:42:57 PM
Last bumped on Sep 14, 2020, 6:23:29 PM
Finaly a chain hook build! Thank you. I'll be sure to try it.
Added a new video.

Didn't know catarina could just hide in the corner in one of the degen areas and then just snipe you.

"fun" discovery that was.

EDIT: Added shaper video, working on elder video...and then maybe uber elder.

Nevermind on the uber elder, that fight is too much of a clusterfuck for me, but I think the build can do it overall...it'll be hard fought though.

Regular elder video is up there now.
Last edited by QtkanthaZaarl on Jan 14, 2020, 7:27:02 AM
A Clear video has been added, T16 Canyon with level 8 awakened atlas.

Due to the current chain hook bug (as I've explained in the guide itself) I clear with Ground Slam.

Don't booli me on my item filter settings. (:

EDIT:
"
1/15/2020 02:53 - Added a new PoB link with an extra tree for a more damage oriented version of the build, the Ascendancy section has also been updated
Last edited by QtkanthaZaarl on Jan 14, 2020, 9:56:32 PM
"

Announcement: This may be premature but I believe the above case is now resolved as of 3.9.2b as a sneak fix. I've been trying for the better part of an hour to intentionally crash my instances while using just chain hook for clearing and bossing and have been completely unable to do so.

Chain Hook's instance crashing may be fixed at last!

inb4 I now instantly crash on the next map.
I'm still crashing too. Even when I use no movement skills, tho it seems to help make it crash less often. I'm not trying maps as the cost of loosing the map and the upgrades is too much. Just delving so the cost of a crash isn't as high.
"
Polymorphius wrote:
I'm still crashing too. Even when I use no movement skills, tho it seems to help make it crash less often. I'm not trying maps as the cost of loosing the map and the upgrades is too much. Just delving so the cost of a crash isn't as high.

Really? I haven't crashed an instance in a long time now, only crash that happened was in lava lake...but that boss arena really doesn't like chain hook in general.
I've been playing more in league and I've gotten really into crafting my own gear and just sink currency into the build.

These are my current gear specs which are not at all necessary for the build to work, after all every video on this guide was done on the original gear setup posted above:

Spoiler

(boots still need a slam and a better enchant)

I'm a bit squishier now without overleech and divine flesh but it's not that big of a deal I've come to find...mostly due to the 11 million shaper dps I now boast. I could boost it further by getting rid of all the chaos res crafts but man chaos res is handy these days yanno?
Well my Chain Hook Berserker still crashes in delves and maps so I'm leveling a new one to match your skill tree precisely with the hope I can have an endgame Chain Hook Berserker that doesn't crash. I really not a glutton for punishment - I just love Chain Hook and the way it plays. I've got high hopes as it never crashes while leveling and is so fun to play. So I do have tons of currency too (I'm a currency "trader"), but have never gotten into crafting but I want some of your type of high end crafted gear. Can you point to any videos or guides to get me going on crafting your type/class of gear?

Thanks much.
"
Polymorphius wrote:
Well my Chain Hook Berserker still crashes in delves and maps so I'm leveling a new one to match your skill tree precisely with the hope I can have an endgame Chain Hook Berserker that doesn't crash. I really not a glutton for punishment - I just love Chain Hook and the way it plays. I've got high hopes as it never crashes while leveling and is so fun to play. So I do have tons of currency too (I'm a currency "trader"), but have never gotten into crafting but I want some of your type of high end crafted gear. Can you point to any videos or guides to get me going on crafting your type/class of gear?

Thanks much.

Crafting my gear I pretty much just used sites like https://poedb.tw/mod.php to figure out what I can get on a piece of gear with the present iLvl, see what is a suffix or prefix, chances of hitting mods, etc...

Then I alteration spammed until I hit the mods I wanted on two pieces of influenced gear, awakener orbed them and prayed to RNG the other mods were good as well.

If that didn't happen I would just chaos spam for a bit trying to hit something usable.

If that still didn't happen I'd just go back to 2 influenced bases and repeated the process.

As for videos...I honestly don't know, I haven't really watched any myself.

EDIT: I do still crash instances, but it's much much more rarely than it used to, I updated the guide to reflect this information.
Last edited by QtkanthaZaarl on Jan 30, 2020, 8:20:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info