Diablo 3 vs. PoE release date

"
mitz wrote:
A suggestion to fellow developers of PoE. You guys should release this game early to garner your player base and supporters ASAP! Trust me, as a veteran gamer, PoE has alot to do to go against the critically acclaimed Diablo 3.

If PoE releases later than D3, then chances are... yeah the obvious, d3 :/ sorry PoE fanboys. A simple logic as to why PoE should release first - 1) People can try this game for free, they might like it and continue to play it, less bothered by the release of d3 2) D3 fanboys might give it a go before the release of d3, and when d3 is released, they might even continue playing PoE or both. 3) Player base of PoE won't be dead when d3 is released.

The veneer of your earnest intentions and goodwill is sort of stripped by the usage of 'PoE fanboys'. Sorry. I was going to say how I think this is an important topic but one that has been discussed ad nauseum both here and on D3 boards, but then I noticed that term and decided against it, figuring anyone who uses it so freely isn't likely to engage in more balanced discussion anyway.

It really is a lazy, insufficient way of dismissing a demographic based on its LCD.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
For me personally I will play which ever game releases first ..after that I cannot say whether or not I will play the other.

However seeing that I have been a diablo fan for years you can believe me when I say I hope that POE releases first!
"
mitz wrote:
A suggestion to fellow developers of PoE.

'Fellow'?

"
mitz wrote:
the critically acclaimed Diablo 3.

Critically acclaimed? I didn't think critics were generally in the business of rating unreleased games.

"
mitz wrote:

If PoE releases later than D3, then chances are... yeah the obvious, d3 :/ sorry PoE fanboys. A simple logic as to why PoE should release first - 1) People can try this game for free, they might like it and continue to play it, less bothered by the release of d3 2) D3 fanboys might give it a go before the release of d3, and when d3 is released, they might even continue playing PoE or both. 3) Player base of PoE won't be dead when d3 is released.

Stop saying fanboys.

Ok now we've addressed those important issues.
How do you release a game which isn't finished?
You realize the game isn't finished right? It won't be finished before Diablo 3 gets released. I'm sure the devs would love to beat D3 to release but they can't so they have to release it afterwards... pretty simple logic there if you ask me.

You seem to think that everyones a fanboy and can only play 1 game at a time. I intend to buy D3, PoE and Torchlight 2, I plan on playing them all, I'll keep playing the ones I enjoy, which could be more than one... shockingly.
Last edited by adwodon on Apr 10, 2012, 3:37:04 PM
"
adwodon wrote:

I get the feeling this isn't a joke and that the punchline isn't 'see: Hellgate: London; Fallout: New Vegas; Fable 3; and Skyrim', but I think it should be.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I honestly believe that anyone looking for the 'real diablo 3' will come play poe. After playing in the beta for a bit in d3 i've got to admit it is a HUGE dissapointment, while this game carries the torch. I wouldnt worry to much since after a month or two on release of d3 everyone will know its awful. Blizzard has been going down for a while anyway and just now everyones realizing it.
"
"
adwodon wrote:

I get the feeling this isn't a joke and that the punchline isn't 'see: Hellgate: London; Fallout: New Vegas; Fable 3; and Skyrim', but I think it should be.

touché

I guess it should be:
Why would you release an unfinished game if you were independent and already had money coming from from pre-release supporters?
Last edited by adwodon on Apr 10, 2012, 4:22:24 PM
I was just goofing around, adwodon -- but yeah, GGG isn't going to run to any schedule but their own. One of many reasons why I support them so thoroughly.

That and closed beta is already mostly over -- if you're opening the game for a small pre-purchase, it's not really 'closed'. Nor is it open -- too many features missing for GGG's definition of 'open'. Hence Ajar.

'Release' itself is a nebulous term with this business model.

I like that. It means we're not happy little lemmings waiting, completely at the mercy of the game developers, to jump off the cliff come Release Date, only to find problems, bugs and incomplete nuggets as we compulsively play. Instead, 'release' for Path of Exile will simply mean 'open beta that we're happy to step back from but still watch carefully.'

I really do like that.

Torchlight II is also coming out sometime soon which basically means more competition for PoE.

Its definetly better to wait until the game is complete and ready for its release. Just as it was with first Torchlight which was good but lacking here and there - admitted by devs as well that the game was rushed to release and well it turned out good but couldve been better.

Youve got to realize that for a small company like GGG theres a little room mistakes in order to be successful on a market with bigger companies in play.

Wont hurt to wait a little longer and polish things out.
Release the game when its ready. I know if I play a game and I don't like it, I will probably not go back to it. Get it right the first time.
I don't even plan on playing D3 anymore. I started loving it back on the first game. But the direction it is going really doesn't interest me, and so far i am loving POE. And from seeing the developers talk about d3 over the years I am really disappointed with the game, and don't trust those guys can even make a game I would enjoy.

Anyways, I just hope this game releases when it is good and ready, if it is later that is just fine by me, I have beta.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info