[3.9 WIP] ElemCheif Artillery

Haven't played POE if a few leagues, and usually played spell or minion builds before. But I'm interested by the new Ballista Totems. Feedback/Suggestions Appreciated

They Haven't added the Artillery Ballista Gem to POE planner/builder yet so I can't complete the full build yet, but this is what I'm thinking so far. Currently working as a starter build, so it shouldn't require anything too expensive and should scale pretty nicely with found gear.

Highlights

Spoiler
Artillery is 100% fire conversion, so this tree gives 37% fire pen
(or maybe 32%, depending on if Primeval Force applies to Totems)
Damage
--26%+ projectile
--116%+ Totem
--175%+ Fire
--56%+ Attack Elem
--64%+ Elem
--44%+ Fire Attack
--==481% Total Increased Damage from Tree

Added dmg
5% physical as extra fire (from tree)
15% physical as extra fire (Herald of Ash)
(maybe) 25-35% physical as extra fire (The Signal Fire)

Totem Life leech
+2 max totems (5 total)
Cover Enemies in Ash

Gem Combo
Spoiler

Main:
Artillery + Fire Pen + Elem w/ Attack + Added fire Dmg + Slower Projectile + Conc Effect (Possible swap slower projectile w/ elem focus

Curse:
lightning ball + curse on hit + Flamability + GMP

Movement:
Dash?

Survivalbility:
CwDT + Phase run + SteelSkin

Aura
Anger + Generosity?

Questions to Answer
1.Does far shot apply to Artillery (I see conflicting answers to whether far shot is 'distance from target' or 'total distance traveled' and if it is 'Total distance traveled' does Y axis (up and down) count)if it gets farshot benefit, Lion eyes might be legit.

2. If Far Shot doesn't apply, does that mean point blank does?

3. To Ignite or not to Ignite (There's a lot of +burning damge, fire damage over time, bow damage over time multipliers I get mostly by coincidence, so is burn better or is Elemental Focus beter)

4. It's an AoE and a projectile, can it be evaded? do I have to worry about accuracy?

5.Can artillery shotgun, how big does a target have to be to get him by all 5. How does conc. effect this.

edits:
1) added gem ideas
2) added question 5

Last edited by Devilpapaya on Dec 12, 2019, 5:22:31 PM
Last bumped on Dec 18, 2019, 8:49:43 AM
According to other forum posts:

For PB and FS - "The starting point is where the projectile was fired from, the origin can be you, a trap, or a totem. If the projectile forked, chained or split (tornado shot) the far shot / point blank bonus for the resulting projectile(s) will start with the value original projectile had at that point."

As for accuracy, it seems the totem will use whatever your accuracy is since the skill is used as if done so by the player.
"
For PB and FS - "The starting point is where the projectile was fired from, the origin can be you, a trap, or a totem. If the projectile forked, chained or split (tornado shot) the far shot / point blank bonus for the resulting projectile(s) will start with the value original projectile had at that point."

Sorry, I wasn't clear. That makes sens for starting point, but it's the endpoint that I'm unclear on. Artillery fires into the air (like rain of arrows I think), so if an enemy is standing next to my totem, does the rise into air count as distance traveled, or does it only count lateral movement?

"
As for accuracy, it seems the totem will use whatever your accuracy is since the skill is used as if done so by the player.

So Projectile AoE can miss? That doesn't make logical sense to me but if that's how it works, that's how it works.

Thanks!
I also wonder if we could use artillery ballista for bossing and mapping or if we'd need a weapon swap to be the most efficient.
"
Eviltenchi84 wrote:
I also wonder if we could use artillery ballista for bossing and mapping or if we'd need a weapon swap to be the most efficient.

I think it will come down to how much shotgunning occurs/how closely the arrows fall. If all 5 (or at least 3-4) projectiles can hit a boss, maybe. I've been trying to run the numbers and I think with 5 totems you might be able to get to maybe 500k - 700k DPS. Which isn't stellar, but I think doable. Any boss where you can off-screen them for sure.

Edit: Realized I had factored damage wrong, updated estimated DPS. I'm still no where near sure I'm right, but I think I'm less wrong
Last edited by Devilpapaya on Dec 13, 2019, 12:01:14 AM
Might be a bit higher than that if you use two or three awakened gems in the link.
Hi, i'm thinking of doing something similiar for HC but i think i'll go chief/slayer for leeching.

The dps I get in POB is kinda low still but i hope it will be better
Hi, I'm also planning something similar. Ascendant-Chieftain's "Covered in Ash" makes fire damage very interesting, so I'm considering Elemental Hit and Blast Rain (with Ballista Support). The latter looks very good now with free 25 fire pen. Like Artillery Ballista, it also scales directly with + projectiles like Rain of Splinters. Elemental Hit would be linked with Barrage Support to benefit from the jewel as well.

Artillery looks interesting as well, but I would like to convert it to Fire Damage. Signal Fire is 50%. I don't know where to find the other 50%. Avatar of Fire (either from tree or from Xoph's Blood) would work, but looses a lot of damage from Atziri's Promise.

For the second ascendancy, probably Slayer for leeching, or Raider or Pathfinder for damage. Elementalist and Inquisitor may be even better damage (for crit), but having neither Duellist nor Ranger alternate start would hurt my tree a lot.
I am planning to run artillery trapper chieftain.
"
Artillery looks interesting as well, but I would like to convert it to Fire Damage. Signal Fire is 50%. I don't know where to find the other 50%. Avatar of Fire (either from tree or from Xoph's Blood) would work, but looses a lot of damage from Atziri's Promise.

Artillery is 100% Physical to Fire by default : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2687774

"
For the second ascendancy, probably Slayer for leeching, or Raider or Pathfinder for damage. Elementalist and Inquisitor may be even better damage (for crit), but having neither Duellist nor Ranger alternate start would hurt my tree a lot.

Yeah, definitely sacrificing a lot of survivability going Witch, very glass cannon. I'm a little worried about getting one shot all over the place but we'll see.

Still debating between Evasion and ES for equip. I'm leaning ES for a larger health pool.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info