Integrating Blight into Core Path of Exile

Nice, i liked Blight a lot.
"
And for two, it fits with a theme I really wanted to see the Atlas go: making each map feel unique. A big problem right now with the Atlas is, with 135 map bases... So many feel like just a reskin of each other; they're narrow, winding paths filled with monsters leading to a boss fight (which may or may not have an arena) you just nuke down instantly anyhow.

For a type of content labeled the "atlas of WORLDS," it'd be nice if each map truly felt like a "different world," including some variety in gameplay/content. We SORT of approach this a little with how GGG rolled certain bosses in. (e.g, Lighthouse, Iceberg, Shipyard, and Acid Caverns giving us the Redwind, Mutewind, Brinerot, and Renegade warbands respectively)

Since there's now a LOT of leagues with content, GGG should be able to shift things around so that a great deal of maps have something specific to them that players might want, so there's something more than just "pick the most-linear map with the card drop you want.

I totally agree with this ! Path of exile is getting enough leagues content to spread them through different atlas regions, giving more identity to the altas with dedicated gameplay regions while giving much more agency to players by making them able to farm what league content they want through maps. Localised encounters like Jun with the syndicates could be found on desert based maps, Alva on ruins/cities maps, Einhar on jungle/forest maps, Niko on rocks/mountain maps, Cassia on toxic/corrupted nature maps, Tane Octavius on steampunk factory/sewers maps, Zana on all and so on. And with water, ice and fire based maps you have plenty of room for next leagues still.

I don't say that's the ULTIMATE solution, but if players wanna farm a specific master because they love his content I don't see farming his dedicated maps being a problem, since they never waited for this hypothetical system to farm specific maps (hello cards).

And if target farming maps isn't your philosophy for the futur of POE you can still keep the master dailies as it is on addition to let players shuffling their experience a bit more.
Last edited by Dedisdead on Nov 29, 2019, 4:42:31 PM
"
My opinion:

You should not have made Cassia a standard master encounter.
Instead you should have just made blighted maps a core game drop. Cassia in normal areas or normal maps is useless. It is neither a chanllenge nor giving anything. The blighted maps on the other hand are really a lot of fun, just sadly way too rare.

I second, third and fourth this opinion.

Blighted maps as core map drops (maybe as rare as unique maps) and don't give a **** about boring Cassia encounters.
Arian Synthesis of G3
quote Chris Wilson "RIP graphics card"
If anointing amulets with skill passives will still be in the game, I just hope the drop rate of oils is on such a level that golden/silver oils won't cost tens of exalts, i.e. being unobtainable for the large majority of players.

Apart from that caveat, I think it seems like a good integration. I enjoyed the league and never suffered any performance issues, even though my PC is several years old.
This is good! Blight's core mechanic will be much better in moderation.
"
Dedisdead wrote:
"
And for two, it fits with a theme I really wanted to see the Atlas go: making each map feel unique. A big problem right now with the Atlas is, with 135 map bases... So many feel like just a reskin of each other; they're narrow, winding paths filled with monsters leading to a boss fight (which may or may not have an arena) you just nuke down instantly anyhow.

For a type of content labeled the "atlas of WORLDS," it'd be nice if each map truly felt like a "different world," including some variety in gameplay/content. We SORT of approach this a little with how GGG rolled certain bosses in. (e.g, Lighthouse, Iceberg, Shipyard, and Acid Caverns giving us the Redwind, Mutewind, Brinerot, and Renegade warbands respectively)

Since there's now a LOT of leagues with content, GGG should be able to shift things around so that a great deal of maps have something specific to them that players might want, so there's something more than just "pick the most-linear map with the card drop you want.

I totally agree with this ! Path of exile is getting enough leagues content to spread them through different atlas regions, giving more identity to the altas with dedicated gameplay regions while giving much more agency to players by making them able to farm what league content they want through maps. Localised encounters like Jun with the syndicates could be found on desert based maps, Alva on ruins/cities maps, Einhar on jungle/forest maps, Niko on rocks/mountain maps, Cassia on toxic/corrupted nature maps, Tane Octavius on steampunk factory/sewers maps, Zana on all and so on. And with water, ice and fire based maps you have plenty of room for next leagues still.

I don't say that's the ULTIMATE solution, but if players wanna farm a specific master because they love his content I don't see farming his dedicated maps being a problem, since they never waited for this hypothetical system to farm specific maps (hello cards).

And if target farming maps isn't your philosophy for the futur of POE you can still keep the master dailies as it is on addition to let players shuffling their experience a bit more.

+1
"
ACGIFT wrote:
"
Natalia_GGG wrote:
Once you reach Maps, Blight encounters will spawn in 10% of map areas you enter.

This is exactly part of why the game's struggling to retain players. Y'all keep a constant torrent of content, and players have little to no control over how they encounter it.

This whole "10% of map areas" garbage is something no player likes; it's nowhere NEAR enough to be able to make up an appreciable amount of the time spent mapping (let alone specifically farm) and simultaneously is still an ever-present chance that is JUST high enough that it will persistently intrude upon other players' gameplay when they don't want it at all.

This "10% rule" is the worst of both worlds; it won't please those that loved Blight and want to do nothing but, nor will it please those that are playing a non-Blight-specific build or just plain don't want it.

Couldn't agree more.
"
mats_mono wrote:
If anointing amulets with skill passives will still be in the game, I just hope the drop rate of oils is on such a level that golden/silver oils won't cost tens of exalts, i.e. being unobtainable for the large majority of players.

Apart from that caveat, I think it seems like a good integration. I enjoyed the league and never suffered any performance issues, even though my PC is several years old.

Think about it economically: Golden oils currently cost ~1.5ex at a decent droprate given that it spawns on every map. Now imagine 10% of that droprate and the supply/demand will become even more out of balance.

Oil annointments are already mandatory for necklaces, because they are not just tiny minmaxing, it's often a significant buff to the build (like +1 curse), so it will still be very sought after as it involves no specific crafting and doesn't take up any slot that would be used otherwise (except maybe the new league mechanic which seems very inferior to it). Oils are also consumables, so once they are used, they are gone (or reinvested).

I got all my 36 challenges for the league and saw 0 gold and 0 silver oils drop, so I don't even want to imagine the droprate in the new league, but I can already predict the prices of golden oils to be 5ex and up based on the steady demand (won't change because the mechanic doesn't chang) and vastly decreased supply (lower encounter and droprates).

It'll be interesting to see if my prediction is correct and how fast they adjust those seemingly abmyssal rates. Knowing them, they won't adjust it (looking at Legion splinters and Bottled Faith here).
Arian Synthesis of G3
Honestly, this works. One thing I would consider, would be an option to mute Cassia as she is hands down the most annoying thing in this game. Nobody wants a character that repeats voice lines off screen over and over regardless of prompt.

That being the case pretty much every other voice acted character tends to be great so just turning down the voice line volume feels like being robbed of part of the experience. Blight was okay, but Cassia needs some attention.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info