Support-Gem-Plus Question

Will there be a plus version for every support gem or only for a few?
Last bumped on Nov 21, 2019, 4:02:15 PM
I can’t remember the exact number, but it won’t be all of them. I think it may have been 35 or 65 support gems. They’ll also be given different rarity weights based on usefulness.
I'm a bit worried about the plus gems.
On one hand they want to reduce the powercreep but then they add gems that seams to boost players by alot.
Especially those Plus fork will make screen clears even more crazy.
I don't get the motivation for adding them either. No one here, or on reddit, is clamoring for more power. How long before we see ++ and +++ supports?
Wouldn't surprise me if only the least used support gems get a plus version.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
WickedSausage wrote:
I'm a bit worried about the plus gems.
On one hand they want to reduce the powercreep but then they add gems that seams to boost players by alot.
Especially those Plus fork will make screen clears even more crazy.

If we want to clear fast we can without any problems anyway.
New "plus" gems are no more than chase items with bigger numbers, higher risk/reward but humans are only humans. What in theory looks amazing will be heavily limited by amount of mobs we can face at once and our own limits.

It doesn't matter that my arrow can fork one more time when everything would be killed anyway. Only source of damage changes (extra fork, herald explosion, any other explosion or whatever you use to kill mobs).
"
Mythabril wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if only the least used support gems get a plus version.

GMP was confirmed in the trailer to have a Plus version. Ancestral Call is also hardly 'least used', nor is Added Cold Damage.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind Support Plus myself. My best guess is that it's an easy way to create a 'chase item' system that can be updated and retained throughout all later stages of game development. A new Support Plus would be easy to make, players will never not want these things, and perhaps the "Plus" idea is how the dev team compromised on fixing certain funk supports nobody likes, such as Fork, in a way that makes them awesome without being weird.

Not that Fork Forking a second time makes it awesome. I mean, theoretically maybe? In a lategame setting with Thicc Paccs, where you add a single pierce in front of the Forkforking to dig into said pack a little bit before hoping the Forkforking novas like Tornado Shot and makes everything work?

Ancestral Call getting a third target and a broader strike zone is great. Added Cold +1-ing cold skillgems is super clutch for spells, of course. Blasphemy Plus offering a billion percent extra AoE is just a heap of quality of life for Blascurse builds. It's cool that these things can be done, but I'll admit - if they wanted to slow the game down, this is...like, the opposite of that?
"
I can’t remember the exact number, but it won’t be all of them. I think it may have been 35 or 65 support gems. They’ll also be given different rarity weights based on usefulness.

Uh, I don't remember the number either but I don't think it was even as high as 35.

Also, 65 would be... more than half of them.

"
1453R wrote:
Not that Fork Forking a second time makes it awesome. I mean, theoretically maybe? In a lategame setting with Thicc Paccs, where you add a single pierce in front of the Forkforking to dig into said pack a little bit before hoping the Forkforking novas like Tornado Shot and makes everything work?

Fork Plus is something that will want to be used without even a single Pierce, for optimal pack clearing. You want to fork starting from the very front of the pack. A projectile can't fork backwards (it always forms a precise 120 degree arc centered on the original trajectory), it can only chain backwards, so having a Pierce start you off is just a waste.
Last edited by codetaku on Nov 21, 2019, 12:41:23 PM
"
codetaku wrote:

Fork Plus is something that will want to be used without even a single Pierce, for optimal pack clearing. You want to fork starting from the very front of the pack. A projectile can't fork backwards (it always forms a precise 120 degree arc centered on the original trajectory), it can only chain backwards, so having a Pierce start you off is just a waste.

True, I suppose. I was considering the impact of compounding angles, because the original Fork that splits sixtry degrees off-axis will then Fork a second time, splitting a second sixty degrees off axis. At that point the second Fork is at 120 degrees off the axis of the original shot, which is indeed Forking backwards(ish...) compared to the line of travel of the original arrow. if Fork Plus ever gets to a third fork, the third Fork would be 180 degrees off the original line of travel, i.e. Forking directly back at you.

Considering that, I would be curious if a minimal level of Pierce to dig into the pack some wouldn't end up being useful, to give some of those secondary backwards(ish...) facing Forks the chance to pick up a target.
It is 35 plus gems. While it adds power creep they've also stated hey'll be increasing difficulty in 3.9 (more mob hp etc) and continuously until 4.0.

I'm no sure if this is a good thing as it further seperates the best players who will have full plus gem setups by day 3 of a league and those filthy casuals who may only get one or never see any throughout an entire 3 month league cycle.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info