Are you willing to make the necessary sacrifice in order to get rid of 1-shot mechanics?

Remove boss phases

Remove BS nemesis one shot mechanics (lightning mirage)

Remove proximity shield

Remove reflect

then i'll take the sacrifice
It would bring more interesting gameplay.

"
IHellBoundI wrote:
For me the worst is the screen cluter... specially on party play. Like serious u cant even see what is happening too much particles and effects and most of the time 1 person kills everything and the others just loot...

also +1
"
Exile009 wrote:
Since PoE 2 has been announced and seems to be willing to upend a lot of game systems, now seems a good time to discuss some other big changes we'd like to see. One of the most common subjects of contention here is the prevalence of 1-shots and how bullshit so many of our deaths feel because of them. However, what often doesn't get raised in those angry threads is the reason why the game seems balanced around 1-shots - our own overtuned recovery systems.

In order to change this, they'd need to substantially nerf sustain mechanics (life leech, life gain on hit, ES leech, regen, recovery, mind over matter shenanigans, etc. etc.). The main reason why PoE is so balanced around 1-shots is because of how overtuned those mechanics are, such that only a 1-shot could possibly kill us. They haven't said anything about doing that, and I suspect the playerbase would riot if they did. But maybe I'm wrong about that. So how many of you would be willing to accept a massive nerf to all the game's various recovery systems?

As others have pointed out, they did say that going forward, leech (and perhaps other sustain mechanics) will get an overhaul. Perhaps a nerf!

As the recent nerfs to IC and Vaal Pact have shown, they really REALLY want to weed out bad players from relying on cheese to beat hard endgame content without having to work for it.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
pifpep wrote:
I wouldn't want to give up anything for that. Getting oneshot means i failed a necessary game check. Mostly being unattentive or doing content that i didn't build for.

lul nice theory. Most one shots (to include damage so fast it might as well be a one shot) in POE have zero counter play just watch any weekly hard core rip compilation. You can pretend these deaths had counter play in theory or in some perfect universe but the actual fact is most of them are VERY SKILLED and experienced players ripping to momentary lags, slight stutters, and most of all: completely RNG based coincidences or overlapping bad things that no one can predict or counterplay IN PRACTICE even if theoretically its possible they could have.

99.99999% of the playerbase isn't even close to as skilled or experienced as these streamers so what hope do we really have? In practice none, you're going to die to rando bullshit.

The REAL shame of it is that melee is subject to something like 80% more of this no counter play spike damage because of the need to close the gap to deal damage. So this is yet another factor keeping melee garbage in the game compared to ranged styles.

"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on Nov 20, 2019, 10:01:39 PM
I would at least be willing to try it during one league and reverse it if it doesn't work.
One shots could be the result of many factors in PoE including resistances, debuffs, raw health, effective health etc.

Simply asking for the removal of this is not only pointless it shows a lack of understanding of how games are designed and played. If you were to design to "remove" one-shots the best route would be to simplify the input factors on a player build. And also lead to completely predictable gameplay where if you properly manage health you are never at risk.

I also believe imbalances in games leads to interesting outcomes crying for perfect "balance" is not only a shallow complaint it leads to boring gameplay systems that are easily solved.
"
diablomix wrote:
by far the worst mechanic is after death BS. Almost always happens in a pack of mostly harmless, easy to dodge, mobs. You almost never see it coming. The after death crap is horse shit.

Please get rid of it. Forever.

This. Plenty of games are able to balance so that enemies need to be respected. On death is cheap, don't know why it's even in the game. They've already got enemies and mechanics to keep us from dps'ing constantly, certain on death effects are on par with reflect and should stop existing.

Thing that gets me most is getting stunned and ganked by either projectiles or something that can travel. Not oneshot, but quickly killed after a stun. Things I know are oneshots are easy enough to avoid but something like a rare with powerful crits I can easily miss because there's no time to look at its mods.

Idk about the tradeoff, at least going as far as flask recovery rates. Slayer leech is completely broken for sure, more than es leech imo, and regen can get pretty high, but flasks aren't so specific. Plus there are map mods to slow them all down since they all count as recovery.
"
Exile009 wrote:
One of the most common subjects of contention here is the prevalence of 1-shots and how bullshit so many of our deaths feel

In order to change this, they'd need to substantially nerf sustain mechanics (life leech, life gain on hit, ES leech, regen, recovery, mind over matter shenanigans, etc. etc.)

You... uhm... are not very intelligent, are you?

First you complain about one-shots, and then demand a change that will make them even more common?
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
"
BlaqWolf wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:
One of the most common subjects of contention here is the prevalence of 1-shots and how bullshit so many of our deaths feel

In order to change this, they'd need to substantially nerf sustain mechanics (life leech, life gain on hit, ES leech, regen, recovery, mind over matter shenanigans, etc. etc.)

First you complain about one-shots, and then demand a change that will make them even more common?

That wouldn't make them more common. A one shot is a hit that deals more damage than you have health, he didn't mention anything about nerfing all the damage reductions and defenses.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
BlaqWolf wrote:

I hope you misunderstood here. I hope. Or do I?

If you think about all the sustain mechanics in the game (hint: he listed most of them, but failed to list the most powerful - flasks) - the ONLY way for the game to kill you, is by having HUGE hits that will ALMOST kill you. When you then take crazy map mods, debuffs and stuff like that into account, one-shots do happen. So lowering the sustain mechanics AND the monster damage, MAY bring us a more skill/reaction based game, where your life globe doesn't act like a freakin' Yo-Yo.

THAT SAID; the amount of (non-telegraphed) "one-shots" in this game is VASTLY exaggerated if your build is up to par. Shouldn't a critical strike from a dangerous mob, in a map with critical multi and 3-4 damage mods be able to one-shot a bad build? I think it should.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info