Are you willing to make the necessary sacrifice in order to get rid of 1-shot mechanics?

Since PoE 2 has been announced and seems to be willing to upend a lot of game systems, now seems a good time to discuss some other big changes we'd like to see. One of the most common subjects of contention here is the prevalence of 1-shots and how bullshit so many of our deaths feel because of them. However, what often doesn't get raised in those angry threads is the reason why the game seems balanced around 1-shots - our own overtuned recovery systems.

In order to change this, they'd need to substantially nerf sustain mechanics (life leech, life gain on hit, ES leech, regen, recovery, mind over matter shenanigans, etc. etc.). The main reason why PoE is so balanced around 1-shots is because of how overtuned those mechanics are, such that only a 1-shot could possibly kill us. They haven't said anything about doing that, and I suspect the playerbase would riot if they did. But maybe I'm wrong about that. So how many of you would be willing to accept a massive nerf to all the game's various recovery systems?
Last edited by Exile009 on Nov 20, 2019, 12:35:42 PM
Last bumped on Nov 22, 2019, 4:45:14 AM
"
Exile009 wrote:
So how many of you would be willing to accept a massive nerf to all the game's various recovery systems?
lol
"Now all that's left is for you getting on your knees."
if you know thanks me:) i'm dying to find out x'D
I'm so down for this! Sacrifice away! Balance and quality gameplay trumps everything!
People actually bother investing in recovery? Just get block or dodge or over resist or any of the tons of different damage reductions and it's not necessary.

My flasks do my healing.
Someone's evil twin.
You say that like it's our call. It's not. GGG will give us the game that they want, and our only contribution will be to play it or not.

Players who play the game recklessly will complain about "one shots". They can't remove that, because the players who play that way will simply adapt to their new environment and still complain about being one shot. So no one is really listening to them. They make for good drama, but they shouldn't be the players that the game is being designed around.
^ /facepalm

edit: above shagsbeard, wasn't referring to him :p
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Nov 20, 2019, 12:38:57 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
You say that like it's our call. It's not. GGG will give us the game that they want, and our only contribution will be to play it or not.

They have responded to player feedback before. A certain recent box comes to mind, and there was actually money on the line (potentially a lot) for that one.
I mean I am since I don't use those mechanics but others would sooner chop off their left arm.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Players who play the game recklessly will complain about "one shots". They can't remove that, because the players who play that way will simply adapt to their new environment and still complain about being one shot. So no one is really listening to them. They make for good drama, but they shouldn't be the players that the game is being designed around.

Yep, this is it exactly. Most "one shots" are actually a rapid sequence of smaller hits. If players try to move faster than their skill level / gear level permits then they die and it feels sudden... but really it was very predictable based on their play pattern.

I wouldn't want to give up anything for that. Getting oneshot means i failed a necessary game check. Mostly being unattentive or doing content that i didn't build for.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info