Easy solution to implement a new death penalty mitigation

Greetings,

1 - Death penalty is an important part of POE game play.

2 - Level 100 is an achievement.

I am sorry, but if you cannot live with that, go play another game.

Now, there is a side issue to the death penalty for those who want to reach level 100. Depending of your game play skills, it is around level 93+ (For me, it is about level 96+) that experience gain begins to be a real grind.

Having said that, starting that critical level, the only time a players takes risk to avoid death is just after having gained a level. That means hours and hours of boring and grinding play time. For some people, it is hours. For some other, it is days.

My solution is quite simple: Add an item, rare drop (maybe same drop that an exalted orb, that gives the player death immunity for 15 minutes. That means, just before a uber elder fight, a player right click on the item and can have fun and take risks!

Conclusion: Still a death penalty, still level 100 as an achievement and mitigates the boring grinding.

Thank you
Last bumped on Nov 22, 2019, 6:48:02 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
That would allow people to literally buy their level 100 with currency. Not a great idea imo.

Also as far as the boring grind is concerned, if your char is decent and you know the content you can do pretty much everything "risk free". Playing my Jugg or Chieftain the only content in the game I am worried about is Uber Elder because I still suck at the fight. Everything else i'd consider risk free. This includes delve depth 300 city farming (I made 95 doing exclusively that, deathless).
Greetings,

I made 80 exalts this season and I played quite much. That would mean a 20 hours of immunity. Considering there is always some downtime, we may safely say that means about 15 hours of "mapping". Also, considering T16 is about 1% per 50 minutes of non stop play for level 98 (no rota of course) that would mean about 16-17 hours of immunity at a cost of 80 exalts. I can live with that because rota will still be cheaper and faster. Oreover, a player doing rota does not need immunity.

Thank you
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
That would allow people to literally buy their level 100 with currency. Not a great idea imo.
So don't make the items tradeable? Like the books you get that give you skill and/or refund points.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
"
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
So don't make the items tradeable? Like the books you get that give you skill and/or refund points.

So now getting to level 100 is RNG determined, more a matter of luck than skill?

Congratulations, you found literally the only possible way to make a terrible idea worse.

OP was right when he said that level 100 is supposed to be an achievement. It SHOULDN'T be a thing everyone can get on any build if they are willing to throw enough time, bodies, and/or currency at it.

I personally blame Blizzard. Diablo 3 was so ridiculously dumbed down and casual-friendly that it's created an entire wave of ARPG players that would rather be handed something they don't deserve than get good and earn it instead.
Last edited by ARealLifeCaribbeanPirate on Nov 20, 2019, 11:09:22 AM
the only thing i think that would be worse than such a "orb" drop would be selling it as mtx...
"
kestak wrote:

1 - Death penalty is an important part of POE game play.

Please explain. From my point of view its an obsolete relic of the past. It doesnt add anything to the game and given that all endgame activities somehow revolve around maps there is already a death limitation through access portals.

"
kestak wrote:

2 - Level 100 is an achievement.

For mindless grinding. Its not an chievment for being good at it.

"
kestak wrote:

I am sorry, but if you cannot live with that, go play another game.

This is the most overused and most useless sentence used in game related discussions in every game when someone doesnt want a discussion
"
Xebov wrote:

there is already a death limitation through access portals.

It is rather party limit for maps, to not exploit trials and stuff like that, not mainly deaths limit. I rarely use more than one portal for maps/uber elder.

10% exp loss is essential, if there would be no penalty I would brainlessly pwn everything without thinking and if I would like to play without thinking there is other ARPG I can click randomly and win - Diablo 3.

I like how game force me to make choices - go Uber Elder and risk 10% or grind next level first. But the truth is, you don't need to get high level to kill endgame. It is OPTIONAL. And if you go for 100 it can't be all easy peasy, you need work (grind) and pay for your mistakes.

I know it is tempting to do your Uber Elder or Uber Atziri without -10% death penalty, but endgame is about choices, risks and rewards. LvL 100 wouldn't taste so good without it - and freedom at level 100 with dying in softcore is well worth the grind.

Btw - you can have a cake and eat a cake - just make second character to kill uber elder while you grind level on your main.
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
"
Nomancs wrote:

It is rather party limit for maps, to not exploit trials and stuff like that, not mainly deaths limit. I rarely use more than one portal for maps/uber elder.

This intention doesnt invalidate the second use.

"
Nomancs wrote:

10% exp loss is essential, if there would be no penalty I would brainlessly pwn everything without thinking

And this would be a problem why exactly? In order to get it done you still need a certain level of skill and a somewhat decent build. Even without the XP penalty players wouldnt run into it and start farming it on mass, they would still fail, it just wouldnt hurt that much and it would offer players the choice to do it without regretting it 10mins later. It would also allow them to experiment more and learn the encounters by themselves instead of relying on guides to be somewhat safe. The XP penalty has no deeper gameplay value that isnt already covered by something else.

"
Nomancs wrote:

I like how game force me to make choices

The choice is enjoy what the game has to offer or try to progress and be stuck in a loophole. I think that this is the reason why many ppl never even try to do certain maps or encounters because tehy dont want to loose their hard earned XP.

"
Nomancs wrote:

Btw - you can have a cake and eat a cake - just make second character to kill uber elder while you grind level on your main.

That is if you like alts of course. Thats also not the solution to the core problem.
"
Xebov wrote:

"
Nomancs wrote:

10% exp loss is essential, if there would be no penalty I would brainlessly pwn everything without thinking

And this would be a problem why exactly? In order to get it done you still need a certain level of skill and a somewhat decent build. Even without the XP penalty players wouldnt run into it and start farming it on mass, they would still fail

They wouldn't fail, they would be brainlessly farming everything, die, go back to map, kill, clear, repeat. No learning from mistakes, because why would they? They don't lose anything if they fail, so why improve if you don't have to? 6 portals for maps is waaay more than anyone need for solo maps - with no exp penalty people would be just banging their heads in the wall untill wall breaks if their heads couldn't be damaged, instead of looking for way around.

On t16 with no death penalty I wouldn't be paying attention to anything, not checking map mods, nor strongbox mods, nothing, just holding move click while watching TV, and getting levels and that wouldn't feel rewarding at all anymore.
"
Nomancs wrote:

if I would like to play without thinking there is other ARPG I can click randomly and win - Diablo 3

"
Xebov wrote:

"
Nomancs wrote:

I like how game force me to make choices

The choice is enjoy what the game has to offer or try to progress and be stuck in a loophole. I think that this is the reason why many ppl never even try to do certain maps or encounters because tehy dont want to loose their hard earned XP.

I've never heard of people never trying/doing certain maps because they are too hard/dangerous. Is this even real? Lets be real - this kind of people don't exist, and exp penalty is a problem maybe after 95level - and going forward is very optional.

"
Xebov wrote:

"
Nomancs wrote:

That is if you like alts of course. Thats also not the solution to the core problem.

Tbh it is, a smart one and as much as I hate alts, one is always handy when I don't want to risk dying on uber or whatelse on main while leveling. + having an alt just designed for challenges/delve/mf is huge profit.

In my opinion removing death penalty would discourage people from learning and improving, because why would they do it, if there is no punishment for failing? People are lazy by nature.

EDIT: Typos (not all of them, just a bit)
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
Last edited by Nomancs on Nov 20, 2019, 5:32:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info